Mgzs ev

Established Member
Reaction score
I wanted to remove the paravan under the windshield wipers to solve the crackling sound there with a waterproof foam tape, unfortunately I was unable to do so because a total of 4 fake screws cannot be removed, I think you will have to drill through them and replace them. does anyone know this? I'd love to hear it☺️

Attachments

• IMG_1254.jpeg
    IMG_1254.jpeg
    526.8 KB · Views: 56
They probably aren't fake screws, but some kind of retaining clip.

I've had similar looking ones with the plastic screw head and the outer ring, where as you tighten the screw head, it screws into the outer ring part, causing it to flare out underneath and secure the panel.

See here for some examples.

I wanted to remove the paravan under the windshield wipers to solve the crackling sound there with a waterproof foam tape, unfortunately I was unable to do so because a total of 4 fake screws cannot be removed, I think you will have to drill through them and replace them. does anyone know this? I'd love to hear it☺️
I removed this plastic wiper scuttle panel on our Gen1 ZS EV about two years ago.
I had no problem removing them, but I can’t remember how I got them out sorry 😔 .
I will check tomorrow and get back to you.
Oh …. If you want to remove the panel completely from the car, you will need to remove the wiper arms.

I thought you could spray some silicone spray to solve this issue
The silicone spray is a decent enough quick fix, as this does help reduce the friction between the windscreen glass and the hard plastic gasket on the edge of the wiper scuttle panel.
I personally feel that breaking that hard foul condition between scuttle panel plastic gasket, is better achieved by applying some self adhesive silent tape to the mating face of the gasket.
The soft felt like face of the silent tape, then is in contact with the glass.

I will check tomorrow and get back to you.
As promised @Mgzs ev I have removed one of the plastic scuttle retaining clips for you to see.
It’s a two piece affair, the centre piece with the cross head is false.
It has no threads as such !.
You need to use a plastic trim removal tool or use a couple of very small electrical screw drivers.
You need to get under the edges of what looks like the screw section, and pry up.
This will lift out the centre of the retaining clip.
This leaves the outer section of the hold down fixing.
Repeat the same process on the lower part of the clip with a trim tool or the small screwdrivers 🪛.
I will include a photo of the clip in its two parts.
When you are refitting the clips, push in the outer section first, then just push in the part that looks like a screw.
This will spread open the jaws of the lower section.
I had to remove a second clip assembly as I dropped the first one on the drive.
I am buggered if I can find it 🤣.

IMG_3110.jpeg

IMG_3109.jpeg

thank you very much for your clear explanation👍 great
now I can finally remove the paravan for a permanent solution to the creaking noise👍
You are very welcome.
I had just spent about 20 minutes looking for the missing clip that I dropped and was about to give up finding it.
So, I reached forward to release the bonnet stay, when I stepped on the missing clip !.
Bingo - Now refitted !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom