Removing the always-on overhead light?

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
One thing that still bugs me is the little white light that is always on in the overhead light cluster. It stops the cabin being properly dark at night.

Has anyone successfully removed this and is it difficult?

It doesn't bother me, in fact I didn't even notice it until someone mentioned it was there on here.
Maybe a visit to an optician or a doctor may be in order for you guys.
Light sensitivity (photophobia) is an intolerance to light that causes discomfort or pain. Any bright light source, such as sunlight or artificial light, may cause discomfort. Light sensitivity may be a symptom of certain eye conditions or due to a migraine or a bacterial infection such as meningitis.

It doesn't bother me, in fact I didn't even notice it until someone mentioned it was there on here.
Light sensitivity (photophobia) is an intolerance to light that causes discomfort or pain. Any bright light source, such as sunlight or artificial light, may cause discomfort. Light sensitivity may be a symptom of certain eye conditions or due to a migraine or a bacterial infection such as meningitis.

Hardly, it is irritation, not a medical condition. I think sensible drivers prefer a dark cabin at night, with the minimum of distracting lights. That allows you to see out better, especially when travelling along dark lanes. The main displays are quite bright but can be minimised. The overhead always-on light is unnecessary and irritating. I can see no purpose to it, it's also not bright enough for anything useful. I don't think my doctor could assist somehow...

Hardly, it is irritation, not a medical condition. I think sensible drivers prefer a dark cabin at night, with the minimum of distracting lights. That allows you to see out better, especially when travelling along dark lanes. The main displays are quite bright but can be minimised. The overhead always-on light is unnecessary and irritating. I can see no purpose to it, it's also not bright enough for anything useful. I don't think my doctor could assist somehow...

100% agree, I think the light offers nothing, I just find it annoying because it offers nothing to me and will be removed or covered up.

What's that doctor? Come closer so I can see your face? 😆

Nothing wrong here with my human seeing globes. Been recently to have them tested.

If you didn't even see it, perhaps a visit of your own is in order? 😁

It's a bit like you can't hear your clocks ticking at times until you do then that's all you can hear. I often drive at night and don't notice it for a while but once I do it's a constant reminder in my peripheral vision. I didn't notice a 3rd bulb in there when I switched my interior lights to led and in fact had assumed the light was somehow coming from my LEDs as if they had held on to some residual power

It doesn't show another bulb in the manual
Screenshot_2024-03-11-14-25-57-521_com.saicmotor.iov.europe.jpg

It doesn't show another bulb in the manual View attachment 24723

Disconnect the battery if you want, but I didn't bother.
Only a clutz would be able to fuse the car during a bulb change surely.
Just make sure it is off when you change it.
Biggest issue is removing the plastic cover.
I seen to remember it was a bit of an agg.
(Making sure you don't damage the surround)

Is it the lamp under the middle button that is being talked about - the one that toggles the lights coming on (or not) when you open a door?

Opposite the button.
Tiny white LED.

Not the courtesy lights/reading lights.

Comes on when your headlights come on.

Once the cover is off you have access to the courtesy/reading light bulbs and then you can put something over the little light that illuminates when the lights are on.
(Or what about a permanent marker?)

You may be able to remove it but I can't recall what it looks like now.

The diagram up above doesn't show it at all?

20240312_112116.jpg

Last edited:
It is supposed to put some light on the centre console tray so you can see where you are placing stuff. It does that when it's really dark, it doesn't bother me. What is far worse are the overbright screens when you are in rural areas. They are far too bright for me.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back