Repurposing Camping Hookup

seandrx

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all, recently picked up our ZS EV, and plan to use granny charger at home for the foreseeable, however the car will be parked some distance away from the house (we just have a very long front garden) and the granny charger needs an extension to reach from the house to the car.

I have a fairly new and good condition 16amp camping hookup which currently has commando plugs on each end, and is surplus to requirements.

Is it theoretically possible to change one end to a 13amp 3-pin socket (to plug into the house), and change the other end to a waterproof 3-pin socket, in order to provide that extra length for the granny charger?

Hopefully I’ve explained this well enough, but I’ll try and clear anything up if needed.

Thanks!

Yes but it is very important to make very good connections into both socket and plug as the long continuous draw finds out any poor connections.
Could you put a commando socket in that would be better. You can also buy a commando 7kw charger that would plug into the commando extension. You would have to limit it to 16amps but that is more than the 10 you will get out of the granny charger and when you can get closer it becomes your home 30amp charger. Like this

Attachments

• IMG_7492.jpeg
    IMG_7492.jpeg
    749.7 KB · Views: 64
Yes but it is very important to make very good connections into both socket and plug as the long continuous draw finds out any poor connections.
Could you put a commando socket in that would be better. You can also buy a commando 7kw charger that would plug into the commando extension. You would have to limit it to 16amps but that is more than the 10 you will get out of the granny charger and when you can get closer it becomes your home 30amp charger. Like this
Thank you for the additional info! Definitely something to sit down and have a good think about, especially as you say for the long term.

I think for now I will go for a setup like this:

RCD Plug > 3-pin to Commando adapter > commando cable > Commando to 3-pin socket (weatherproof) adapter > granny charger

And hopefully this will give me what I need in the short term.

I use my 16A commando lead when we are on holiday.
I made a short lead with a waterproof 3 pin socket and commando the other end.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom