Reserved charging problem

Ingo Wilson

Standard Member
Reaction score
To maximise the benefit of full electric I switched my energy supply to Octopus which gives me a £0.05/Kwh rate between 00.30 and 04.30. The app for the charger I've had installed enables me to set the start time to benefit from this rate by enabling "reserved charging". All good so far.
Several chats with the manufacturer of the charger describing the failure of reserved charging got me nowhere. It was only when I mentioned MG that the penny dropped and it appears the MGV will not charge once it's been put to sleep i.e. when locking the car. The local dealer refused to acknowledge this was a problem MG had to resolve and blamed the charger. A phone call to MG's Head Office has yet to be returned.
There was no mention that this car can not be charged on a timed basis when I bought the car. Clearly, I've been sold a product not fit for purpose. I'll keep you guys posted on progress, if any, with MG. Has anybody else knowledge of this problem?

I have heard of this issue, but was lead to believe a fix had been applied to trickle charge the vehicle until the main charge was ready to keep the car awake. I’m unsure at present as I’ve switched to EDF and await my smart meter installation, but once installed I have a rate of 8p per kWh overnight, but more importantly for me all weekend. That said my rate until this is installed is about 10.7p per kWh. My Rolec smart meter is working, but yet to be fully tested in the way you mention. Can anyone else help or reply to this matter, which I thought had been addressed?

I was advised by my charger installer that I needed a Zappi chargepoint to achieve delayed charging on the MG. A few test runs have confirmed that a delayed start of 4 hours works. The Zappi has many features but comes at quite a high price.

See several other threads on this forum for exhaustive discussion. The upshot is that the MG has a problem which is being worked on but there is a BMS update (released in Feb) which offers a short term workaround (snooze mode for a number of hours) and charger manufacturers are working on others.

Meanwhile, to be safe, use trickle charge to keep the car awake with cheap-rate boost. Set late evening and unlock/re-lock to ensure charging is initiated.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom