• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Richmond Southampton - MG Dealer Discussion, Opinions & Experiences

We bought our car from here in January 2020. Unfortunately the event was a perfect example of how not to hand over a new car. The car had no charge so had to wait four hours whilst it was granny charged to allow us to get home. Hand over was done out in the road whilst chucking it down. Then recently booked the first service via Richmonds central service centre and was given a list of updates the car will receive, however upon checking later I found that they had not included the BMS update!
I’ll report back in mid January.

We bought ours from Richmond in December 2019. Unlike, Mgkev we so far have had quite a good experience to date. The car was fully charged and the hand-over was good with plenty of time. The car developed the annoying squeak from the windscreen area after a couple of months, but the service guys fixed that by removing the scuttle trim and adding some padding. Touch wood that has not reappeared. Just before Christmas had the car serviced and also the Comfort 2 update. I had moaned to the sales team about the £120 cost and they agreed that as I was having the car serviced they would only charge £60. So pleased with that. I had also given them a list of the other updates I wanted done, including the BMS. But like Mgkev when I checked the BMS has not been done, so the car will not charge unless the doors are locked. So will need to go back.

@Jeanneau , my car goes in next Monday and I plan to ring them tomorrow to talk through what I want carried out. Glad to hear that they managed to install comfort 2 OK.

Car was serviced yesterday and I’m impressed so far. Comfort 2 installed and two recalls carried out plus safety checks. Car was cleaned and picked up and returned ok. So due credit to Richmonds.

Good result. Did they update your BMS too? On mine it was scheduled to be done, but hasn't been as will not charge at home without door being locked. But as quite a few people seem to have had subsequent range issues after the BMS update, think I will wait until a new version of the software appears. Not using the car at mo anyway...

@Jeanneau , Richmonds told me that BMS update was not listed for my VIN. I’ve since found out via another thread I started that it has been withdrawn. I’m not bothered about the BMS update as I only A/C at home anyway.

Ermm, just had a call to say that Richmonds had not carried out the driver’s door wiring loom replacement after all. Apparently the part is now in stock and I’ve had to organise another service visit. They have, however, agreed to collect and return the car free of charge.
I seem to recall this happened to another member on this forum whom uses Richmonds ☹️

Car purchased end of Nov 2020. Sales team done a good job. Can not complain for them at all, even due to system error my originally ordered car was sold in another part of GB. Had to wait about 2 weeks for delivery of another Team RED, but been offered different colour if I didn't want to wait .... end of the day had good deal so I decided to wait.

Now not so good part of experience....

After a week of ownership, had a message RADIO MODULE DISCONNECTED. As I am playing music from USB, I didn't bother to visit service straight away. Wanted to wait and test car for little longer. So about 1500 miles later I noticed a tick sound around steering column.

Decided to visit dealer service department.

Richmonds Southampton hold the car all day. They couldn't hear anything. After collecting the car in the evening it didn't even left dealership, when I switched radio on.... RADIO MODULE DISCONNECTED again.!!! So next visit needed to be arranged. After a few days all back to normal on its own, before visiting dealership. There is no info, what technician done to media system during "repair".

Another issue was , when I did find out that spare wheel set, which they put to my car does not fit as it's for ice car. At least that was quickly sorted by parts department and management.

So with overall experience I had enough, but as believer I gave them 1 more chance. Wanted to see good customer service and quality repair with next job.....

So this time I had issue with a pillars - as many of you know that's common problem with easy fix and more ticking from steering column. Additionally on around top of windscreen I can hear screaking sound when driving on uneven roads in the city (nearly all my driving).

As well I did ask them to update BSM as I do charge battery every day ( rapid and home ).

Media system is restarting and freezing occasionally so I did ask them to check it as well, hopping that they will at least reinstall software. My Bluetooth microphone is very poor - they blamed reception ( OMG )

Outcome of 2 days of work, was repair on left a pilar cover only and removing my dash cam (reason of windscreen noisiness - not )

So my feedback :

Engineers of Richmonds Southampton have no idea about repairs or they don't want to do quality jobs. Poor knowledge about MG EV BMS and systems.
I couldn't believe that they repaired only 1 a pilar cover and couldn't hear anything wrong with other and couldn't hear steering column ticking sound. Can forgive them noise of windscreen as may need slightly longer test drive.

My" software is up to date ",even I have got old BMS. Car was not charged, wasn't expecting any valet as per COVID.

Attitude :what he wants again and what is he talking about push me to decision to find another dealer. Huge disappointment.

I have been working for 20 years in repairs ( mobile phones and computers ) and my way of customer service is on another level.

I am using my car for Uber and wanted and still want to show to my clients how good that car is - Richmonds Southampton doesn't want to help with creating good image of MG.
Sorry for so long post, but they deserve it.

@a6taxipl , sorry to hear of your experiences with Richmonds. Apart from what I mentioned above my dealings with them had been OK although it’s only when given a problem to deal with does a firm show its real abilities.
Unfortunately, the next nearest dealership to you is either Portsmouth or Bournemouth so you might be stuck with Richmonds at Southampton.

@a6taxipl , sorry to hear of your experiences with Richmonds. Apart from what I mentioned above my dealings with them had been OK although it’s only when given a problem to deal with does a firm show its real abilities.
Unfortunately, the next nearest dealership to you is either Portsmouth or Bournemouth so you might be stuck with Richmonds at Southampton.
There is Hendy Pool ...

I find Richmond to be over-busy and under staffed. They are very proud of their free cafe for customers, but I'd prefer not to be waiting so long I need food and drink.

Servicing and repairs are done at their Hyundai dealership next door to the MG sales place and if the guy that knows about MG's isn't about things can take time.

Within 3 weeks of buying my HS PHEV I found that it had a cross threaded and thus loose connection on the heavy duty 12v cable that runs from the main fuse box. It had been sparking and arcing to the point where the plastic elements of the 200amp fuse and its connectors had melted, I reckon close to setting fire. I'd called the MG sales team when the car wouldn't start due to the 12v battery being flat and was told to call the AA, which I did, and their guy found and fixed the fault. Drove straight to the dealers, took ages to get seen and then they were more concerned about me not having an appointment, why I'd called the AA and what he'd done than showing any concern or offering any sort of apology. Left me a bit frustrated to put it mildly.
The car went in for a new fuse box a couple of weeks later: my previous car was a new Skoda, supplied in Cardiff but serviced locally and always washed down before being returned even after the most minor checks. In contrast, the HS, having gone in clean, was returned covered in great lumps of what I suspect was soot from a cruise ship berthed behind the dealership. Took me about 2 hours with Traffic Film Remover to get it all off.

Had to order a new n/s wing mirror glass. Took 6 weeks - probably about travel time from China. More complicated to fit that I expected, so called today to book it in for them to do: earliest date for the one hour max job is 27/5.

Last edited:
Mixed dealings with Richmond Southampton - Did not Buy car from here - Initial call - Good - Booked in for regen check and any Campaigns s/w update. - They Had car all Day - For probably an hours work - As expected Part was required re Breather / regen leak - A few days later they txt to say part in

Now the fun part..

Every time I call in to book - I get told Someone will call me back - Over three calls so far - I am refusing to leave my car there all day for the breather pipe mod fix - & have asked for a time scale for the work - Hence will call you back comment

Will stick to my principles on this - Update on progress

Do you have the name of the adviser that you dealt with? If so send them an email that's how I get mine booked in.

Bad experience with service, but turned out that it was sales fault. Car was handed in with DEMO software, allowing me to turn off LKA permanently on mg4 ( I think they did it as there was no way of calibrating it at the time so it was ok to do so in demo cars for safety)
LKA was dangerous, despite that they updated my software so I was unable to turn it off permanently! I guess something went wrong because it was aggressive, then kept telling me it is what it is, when car went in for oil leak repair I've refused to collect it, and 2 days later they did something to it and it did change. So they let me drive car with LKA off for 6 months, then badly updated car for 2 months (from inspection to repair). Why sales team released the car to me if it needed work done so they don't change functions of the car later on? How did they inspected it and missed something that important (required by law from 2022)
Ridiculous, they keep saying that it wasn't too bad, but if something happened because of it I'll be the one to crash the car and noone will still look in to it so I'll be paying for it with my insurance losing no claims bonus, why?

I have been told this week that Richmond MG Southampton will no longer be using the Hyundai service department but somewhere in Botley. Has anyone else heard this?

I have been told this week that Richmond MG Southampton will no longer be using the Hyundai service department but somewhere in Botley. Has anyone else heard this?
Yes that’s correct. They are now next door to the Skoda garage in Botley for sales and service. That’s also where I purchased my MG4. Not sure if the staff are the Southampton ones or different though.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom