Rolec charger - charging loss

Dino

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi, I’ve had a Rolec wall charger since getting the car last November. There’s always been a bit of a loss which I expect from the cable etc, but the last two charges seem to have really bad losses in terms of what Kwh the charger is drawing and what is getting into the car.
Today I started the charge with 25% SOC , charged to 100%SOC. But it’s used 83Kwh to do that and this is on an MG5 SR so supposedly a 52.5Kwh battery capacity! That’s a 30Kwh loss over a 75% charge.
I think 40Kwh is what was needed to fill it up and it’s used more than double that(if my maths is right!).
So my question is whether this is normal or expected in such cold weather?
The temperature has been 1-4°c today and the battery would have been cold as I only did the school run before charging and I don’t have battery heating available on the Excite SR.
Anyone else having similar issues? Or got any advice?
Thanks
811A5013-CBD2-4434-B0AD-F4173AD85943.jpeg

It's just mis-reporting the total.
The bar graph shows around 40kWh give or take.

@Dino
I see you are using the ev.energy app. As @Jomarkh comments, it would seem that you have also charged the car at some other time within the last "24 hours" in addition to what the graph is showing. If you check the "30 days" option, what do you see? Also, if you go to the initial "Dashboard" screen, what does it show under Charge History?

I actually also have a Rolec charger (and the app) and have never been aware of anything like a "substantial" loss in the cable.

First charge in December and oddly the 24 hour stat currently shows 85 Kwh! But looking at the 30 day and year stats they both show around 40Kwh for today’s charge.
Thanks for the replies, it’s clearly a glitch on the 24 hour report.

Attachments

• 45A2EC2D-DA3B-4577-A1BC-B216586FB469.jpeg
    45A2EC2D-DA3B-4577-A1BC-B216586FB469.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 59
  • B6D44A62-BD13-49DD-956C-9327236E7DD7.jpeg
    B6D44A62-BD13-49DD-956C-9327236E7DD7.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 59
@Dino
I see you are using the ev.energy app. As @Jomarkh comments, it would seem that you have also charged the car at some other time within the last "24 hours" in addition to what the graph is showing. If you check the "30 days" option, what do you see? Also, if you go to the initial "Dashboard" screen, what does it show under Charge History?

I actually also have a Rolec charger (and the app) and have never been aware of anything like a "substantial" loss in the cable.
There's always a bit of a loss, I also compare it to the Octopus half hourly figures report and off the top of my head it's maybe half a kWh over the Go period on mine.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom