Rubbish brake discs. MG HS Phev

stoneyev

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Anyone else having problems with scored brake discs. I've been complaining since June 2022, at 5500 miles. Dealer just notes light scoring to discs !!

Complained again in February 2023 at 10000 miles and all I got was - again, light scoring to rear discs.. Car serviced in May 2023 at 11500 miles - nothing noted on reports re discs...

Front slightly marked, but rear discs really scored. Trying to obtain redress from dealer/MG but am not holding my breath.

Any helpful suggestions ??

Cheers.

As the disc are not a warrant issue but ware and tear then ask them to replace the disc it’s the thickness of the disc is the ware mark to replace. My disc are marked but I have no problem in stoping, could it the servo that is the problem, I done the same amount of miles.

Photo of the MG warranty

Attachments

• IMG_0623.png
    IMG_0623.png
    758.7 KB · Views: 181
Have you checked your pads, because your discs should not be scored. It suggests to me that you could be down to the metal, which would be odd as the rear discs don't wear at the same rate as the fronts. My van did over 17,000 on the rears and the only reason they needed replacing was because the brakes had partially seized on sometime between services. It begs the question are your brakes legal?

Anyone else having problems with scored brake discs. I've been complaining since June 2022, at 5500 miles. Dealer just notes light scoring to discs !!

Complained again in February 2023 at 10000 miles and all I got was - again, light scoring to rear discs.. Car serviced in May 2023 at 11500 miles - nothing noted on reports re discs...

Front slightly marked, but rear discs really scored. Trying to obtain redress from dealer/MG but am not holding my breath.

Any helpful suggestions ??

Cheers.
75% of the braking is done by the fronts, leaving 25% to be done by the rears.
This is in a normal ICE vechile.
Add in the Regen braking on an EV / PHEV and this results in the rears getting very little work to do.
The knock on effect on EV’s is that the rear disc’s rust and then get surface pitting due to the corrosion.
The lack of footbrake use can cause brake pads to seize in the calliper body and the floating slide pins.
Therefore brake services are much more commonly required on both EV’s and PHEV’s.
Brake discs get replaced prematurely on EV's due to pitting / corrosion rather than disc wear and warping that you see on many ICE vehicles.
These things are likely to be a target at both service time or MOT's.
You can buy replacement discs and pads for the HS from third party suppliers ( Borg & Beck ).
Not so the case for the ZS EV models yet, as I am aware.
Dealer only I am afraid folks !.
Below is a HS PHHEV receiving new front disc's and pads from it's owner.
He replaced his disc's due to brake shudder rather than corrosion.

Last edited:
Just goes to prove that if you complain long enough and loud enough you get a result. Been complaining about scored discs and pads on my MG HS Phev since about 6000 miles, and at 12000 miles the rear discs and pads have been replaced. Still had to pay portion of bill BUT both dealer & MG paid larger portion. Success to the little guy.................

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom