Running lead over pavement?

MG4London

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
If you can’t park on a driveway right outside your home what are the laws about running an extension lead over a public footpath with a Matt over it?

Is it too big a risk someone trips and tries to Sue you?

If you have a mat (a proper cable mat I guess, not just a door mat), and highlight tape, and warning signs then you'll have done all you reasonably can to warn others. However even doing this may breach local council rules and regulations.

It depends on the Council. Hampshire allows cable protectors to run across the pavement:
Charging cable protector Hampshire.JPG

I now use mats and a red cone in front of my charger (left behind a few years ago by a loft builder ) on my own driveway, after a delivery driver almost tripped over the cable whilst plugged in.

Oxford Council are trialling putting pavement gullys in for the cable to be recessed in. See if your council will do that outside your house. For a price of course.

I’ve been running my cable over a pavement for nearly 10 years with no issue, all my neighbours are ok with it, my cable is bright yellow and 10m so I can reach further if the space directly outside my rear wall is already taken. My stepson runs a cable up high so it goes overhead as he lives on a busy street.

If you can’t park on a driveway right outside your home what are the laws about running an extension lead over a public footpath with a Matt over it?

Is it too big a risk someone trips and tries to Sue you?
You can buy a rubber cover where the wire sits inside and provides security. Try some caravan sites to get. If I remember it is sold by length.

If the trip hazard is under 2.5cm (1inch) there is no legal ground for a claim. If you use a ramp style cover make sure it is under this requirement. Best just to run a nice heavy cable as flat as possible. Check with your local council as they may have bylaws that state something different.

Thanks Alan as long as it’s under 2.5cm then there is no legal case for a claim?

My cable with rubber matter over it is under that hight.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom