Running out of (HV) battery in an EV

Rolfe

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I expect it has happened. I particularly expect it might have happened in the days when EVs had a lot less range than modern cars, and when chargers were fewer and further between. But now?

EV drivers don't habitually drive on until they're running on fumes. Most people leave enough wiggle-room so that even if the charger they're heading for is out of action, they're able to get to another one. Most people have enough sense to stay beside a malfunctioning charger and phone the operator, rather than head off towards a charger they know they can't reach.

There are more public charging places than there are petrol stations, even if it's only a single charger at the edge of the village green. Even if you were intending to go for a DC charge, there are a LOT of AC chargers out there where you can at least get enough to get you out of the danger zone without having to wait for hours. In many neighbourhoods there are multiple homes with wall boxes, and an EV driver is unlikely to turn away a fellow-EV driver without enough charge to get them to the next public charger. If push comes to shove, and you have a granny charger with you, any 13A plug is potentially a source of rescue.

Modern EVs don't suddenly cut out on you, out of charge, as you're tanking along at sixty. As well as warning you, they'll cut power consumption, and at the last slow to a turtle crawl to allow you to keep moving or manoeuvre the car into a charging bay. Tests show that most will crawl along for 8 to 10 miles after showing zero range, before they entirely brick. (The MG4 Trophy did it for 15 miles when tested.)

So I'm wondering. All us old-timers have our stories of running out of petrol. Or we know someone, personally, who has a story of running out of petrol. But has anyone here actually found themselves stranded in a car they drove till it bricked from lack of charge in the HV battery? Or even, does anyone know of a reliable story of someone this happened to, someone they know? And if so, how the hell did it happen? (Stories of how you were scared witless but somehow your car made it home/to the charging station after all don't count.)

Got my licence back in Feb’79, I’ve never been stranded as a result of running out of fuel, and I hope that continues with our EV. But looking forward to reading about those who have so we can learn for their misfortune.

Good for you! I've had to use the can of petrol in my boot a few times, but I don't count that, that's why I carried it. I can think of three occasions I was stranded. Twice because stuff happened and I didn't have the can with me for some reason. (Once I was blocked from exiting the motorway to the service station in the dark and rain by a long HGV, and the next petrol station up was closed, and once because a garage had done something weird to my car and its range reporting had gone doolally - this was only days before I ordered the MG4!)

On the third occasion I had intended to use the can in the boot, but forgot that I'd taken some petrol out of it to use my petrol-powered snow-clearing machine.

I've read about a product in development which is an EV charger that can be carried in the boot and will give you maybe 10 miles of range. It's the size of a small suitcase and seems to weigh quite a lot. I'm wondering where the market for that might be, given that EVs seem to have the crawl-for-ten-miles function built in anyway.

Well whilst not motoring related I have run out of petrol in an aircraft!

In the late 70's I gained my Private Pilots Licence having been gliding for years previously. Just after qualifying on Cessna 150 and 152 trainers, I got checked out to fly Cessna 172 4 seat touring aircraft. The one that was available to hire was quite an elderly aircraft but it seemed amazing at the time. I had my mum and dad and friend come over for a flight over their homes and local area, I was looking forward to the flight etc. The runways at our airfield are amongst the shortest in the country (450 metres and 350 metres) so care had to be taken on aircraft weight, wind direction, temperature etc. I checked the fuel level whilst doing my aircraft checks and I had just below 1/2 tank in each wing. That should have given me a duration of around 2.5 to 3 hrs. I got my passengers on board di the startup all the checks etc and we took off. Flew over towards the area where we lived, a little more sight seeing and then started heading back this was around 1 hour into the flight. I was feeling very relaxed and enjoying my piloting when it all went very quiet, the engine had stopped and all we could hear was the rushing wind noise. Stunned silence for a few seconds and then my training kicked in, I did all the check but nothing, the engine was stopped. Being an ex glider pilot, landing out in fields was second nature and throughout the flight I was picking landing areas out as I did in the glider. A quick 180 turn to back a little and I got lined up to a nice field and landed in it. As we approached the field, just over the hedge there was a courting couple doing what courting couples do LOL, they were startled by an aircraft flying in about 20 ft above them in relative silence, when we had come to rest and got out they were doing a runner with the lad pulling his trousers up :):).
Once my nerves had settled, I called my flying club, explained what had happened and the CFI said 'how much do you have?' I said its showing 1/4 tanks in each wing. He then said ah, that'll be the problem, the fuel gauges aren't accurate on that one, it runs at about 1/4. Thanks for telling me!!!!!!
He turned up by road with 15 gallons of fuel, we pushed the aircaft back into the corner of the field and I flew it out solo, my passengers back to flying club in the car.

There were huge cheers in the clubhouse when I got back and at the annual AGM I was presented with a new set of underpants trophy :):):)

I suppose the moral of the story is don't rely on gauges too much and always have plan b in your mind.

In the late 70's I gained my Private Pilots Licence having been gliding for years previously. Just after qualifying on Cessna 150 and 152 trainers, I got checked out to fly Cessna 172 4 seat touring aircraft. The one that was available to hire was quite an elderly aircraft but it seemed amazing at the time. I had my mum and dad and friend come over for a flight over their homes and local area, I was looking forward to the flight etc. The runways at our airfield are amongst the shortest in the country (450 metres and 350 metres) so care had to be taken on aircraft weight, wind direction, temperature etc. I checked the fuel level whilst doing my aircraft checks and I had just below 1/2 tank in each wing. That should have given me a duration of around 2.5 to 3 hrs. I got my passengers on board di the startup all the checks etc and we took off. Flew over towards the area where we lived, a little more sight seeing and then started heading back this was around 1 hour into the flight. I was feeling very relaxed and enjoying my piloting when it all went very quiet, the engine had stopped and all we could hear was the rushing wind noise. Stunned silence for a few seconds and then my training kicked in, I did all the check but nothing, the engine was stopped. Being an ex glider pilot, landing out in fields was second nature and throughout the flight I was picking landing areas out as I did in the glider. A quick 180 turn to back a little and I got lined up to a nice field and landed in it. As we approached the field, just over the hedge there was a courting couple doing what courting couples do LOL, they were startled by an aircraft flying in about 20 ft above them in relative silence, when we had come to rest and got out they were doing a runner with the lad pulling his trousers up :):).
Once my nerves had settled, I called my flying club, explained what had happened and the CFI said 'how much do you have?' I said its showing 1/4 tanks in each wing. He then said ah, that'll be the problem, the fuel gauges aren't accurate on that one, it runs at about 1/4. Thanks for telling me!!!!!!
He turned up by road with 15 gallons of fuel, we pushed the aircaft back into the corner of the field and I flew it out solo, my passengers back to flying club in the car.

There were huge cheers in the clubhouse when I got back and at the annual AGM I was presented with a new set of underpants trophy :):):)

I suppose the moral of the story is don't rely on gauges too much and always have plan b in your mind.
Hardly up to the standard of your story but I had a Ford Sierra years ago and drove it for ages with a non-functioning fuel gauge. I knew it did around 450 miles to a full tank so I used to reset the trip counter each time I topped up the tank. That worked fine as long as I remembered the method...

That is an absolutely cracking story!

I have a 1955 VW Splitscreen Pickup Truck. A fuel gauge was not even an option when it was built. It has an integrated 1 gallon reserve in the tank.

Not dissimilar to the MG 🙂

If you want to see what happens when you run an EV so low on its charge, that it will actually brick.
Then check out the Tesla Bjorn channel.
He is the “Go Too” man on this type of subject all right !.
He will carry out a range check and then run the car so low on range, until it accurately completely shuts down,
When range testing, he will carry around two large portable storage packs that he can use to induce some power back into the the HV traction battery.

Yes, that's how we know that the Trophy had an extra 15 miles in there (when he circled an Ikea car park until he was dizzy).

I actually prefer the series of tests on Carwow. There are several, this is the first one I know about.

They do several cars at once, driving in convoy, then the various drivers have their strategies to try to be near a charger when they conk out. The banter between the drivers is fun, and the various scrapes they get into as the cars give up are amusing. I think my favourite was the time someone begged to plug the granny lead into someone's domestic supply.

It was watching a bunch of these that got me thinking. They really had to work at it to get these cars to the point where they bricked. Just how likely is it that someone who didn't want to brick their car would actually manage to do it anyway?

Last edited:
It was watching a bunch of these that got me thinking. They really had to work at it to get these cars to the point where they bricked. Just how likely is it that someone who didn't want to brick their car would actually manage to do it anyway?
Seemingly it happens, the AA and RAC carry around charging equipment to get dead EV's to nearby Rapid chargers. It does seem crazy that this happens to people.

I've never run out of petrol (been close though) and never come anywhere near running out of charge.

I have a 1955 VW Splitscreen Pickup Truck. A fuel gauge was not even an option when it was built. It has an integrated 1 gallon reserve in the tank.

Not dissimilar to the MG 🙂
My dad had a Triumph Herald which had a reserve tank. Had to switch the lever on the tank to go to reserve. Trick was to remember to switch it back after refilling.

My dad had a Triumph Herald which had a reserve tank. Had to switch the lever on the tank to go to reserve. Trick was to remember to switch it back after refilling.
I do remember them !.
My Dad had a green standard 10 and that had the reserve tap, it was by the back seat.
I remember the car breaking down and when the car was returned fixed, the mechanic said that somebody had turn over to reserve and we ran out of fuel ⛽️ .
One of us had kicked the tap while travelling in the back seat.
Happy days !.

When I got my freshly minted PPL, the CFI gave me the 'three useless things to a pilot' lecture, 'runway behind you, altitude above you and fuel in the bowser', glad to say I never ran out although the new underpants would have been nice when I pulled the mixture rather than carb heat whilst crossing the channel!
I did run out of fuel on my moped some 50+ years ago, but was able to pedal to the petrol station.

Reserve petrol tanks on cars were very popular back in the day, I seem to remember that that some of the Rover cars had them and it could be operated by pulling out a “choke” like cable by the centre console ?.
When the manufacturers stopped fitting reserve tanks, for a while people would carry a can containing a gallon of fuel in the boot !.
Motor bikes have had a reserve tank for as long as I can remember.
As EV battery packs improve and get smaller, I guess it could be possible to have a “Get you home” section like a reserve tank 🤣.

Reserve petrol tanks on cars were very popular back in the day, I seem to remember that that some of the Rover cars had them and it could be operated by pulling out a “choke” like cable by the centre console ?.
When the manufacturers stopped fitting reserve tanks, for a while people would carry a can containing a gallon of fuel in the boot !.
As EV battery packs improve and get smaller, I guess it could be possible to have a “Get you home” section like a reserve tank 🤣.
Yes, that was the rover 2000 (and 3500) series, very futuristic in its day, with a linear speedo. When I were a lad my uncle and aunty used to take me on a drive to Biggar every Saturday via Carlops in one.

Seemingly it happens, the AA and RAC carry around charging equipment to get dead EV's to nearby Rapid chargers. It does seem crazy that this happens to people.

I've heard that too. And the guys in the "How far will they go?" videos get rescued by them once or twice. I think the AA carted one car off on a low-loader, and the RAC had some sort of charging equipment and gave the driver a telling-off for having turned into a field to avoid getting stuck on the road, and being difficult to get at.

Obviously it would be mad for them not to be prepared for the eventuality, and I suspect it was a thing that happened in the days of 90-mile ranges and chargers as rare as hens' teeth. I'm just trying to find some real-life story of it actually happening to someone, and how they let themselves get into that state.

Yes, that was the rover 2000 (and 3500) series, very futuristic in its day, with a linear speedo. When I were a lad my uncle and aunty used to take me on a drive to Biggar every Saturday via Carlops in one.

I wasn't living here then, but if you did that today you'd practically pass my house. When I did the drive when I returned home on 4% I passed the chargers in Biggar thinking "don't need you", passed a car on the Dolphinton straight doing 80 (at 5% charge), and pulled in to the West Linton charger on 4%.

I had completely forgotten about the reserve petrol in my motorbike! There was a wee lever you had to operate to access it, then I think you had about ten miles before you conked out.

I always carried a can of petrol in my boot. I mean, why wouldn't you? You can still buy them in most petrol stations. I'd say, anyone want to buy a second-hand one, except I'll still need it if I have to go and get petrol for my snow clearing machine. (Which probably means I need to take the can out and fill it before the snow comes!)

Judging by how it all went down when the guys drove the EVs until they bricked, they're already built with some reserve to get you out of trouble. The interesting difference being that while a petrol car will let you go as fast and accelerate as violently as you like right up to the moment it dies, an EV will start to hypermile whether you like it or not when it's getting really critical.

I was quite impressed that my car let me go down as far as 4% without cutting power. It asked me if I wanted to go into power-saving mode, but when I said no it trusted me and carried on. It would be quite frustrating to be on five miles of range, knowing you're only three miles from home, but have your car insist on doing the last two miles at 5 mph. (I think the real turtle mode comes in when you're pretty much showing zero range.)

It would be quite interesting as well to know if anyone has actually seen the turtle on their car. I didn't see it at 4%.

I've only seen one person run out of charge in real life.

About a year and a half ago-ish, I was at an Ionity charger when a recovery lorry with a then, just released, Audi Etron 55 on the back.

The Etron driver looked a bit sheepish but I suspect it was a journalist as that Etron model had only just been released for sale and the reviews had just been on Youtube a week or two earlier.

If you look on Andrew Till's Youtube channel, "Mr EV", he once ran out of charge accidentally in his old LEAF and had to be flatbedded home.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom