• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Rustgate? Does/Will this affect the ZS EV?

If that happened to my 7.5 month old car, I would reject it as not fit for purpose and take MG to court if they didn't refund. I can't see how you'd lose a case like that. If common sense rules, that is.

It's not stright forward to reject a car after it's 6 months old, Pre 6 months it's way easier. You have to reject the car with the finance company and if they fail to do it you then go off to the financial ombudsman to try and get it resolved but this can take anything from 6 months to a year.

Has anyone else owned the ZS for that long? Keen to try and understand if this is a one off or the norm.

I'm in Scotland, so if MG's view is that "it rains in the UK", up here with the regular salt on the roads and weather, this car would disintegrate if the underseal truly is that bad.

I was even thinking that if the underseal is bad, I could just pay to have it undersealed, but for a starter that'll be expensive, shouldn't have to with a brand new car, and it likely wouldn't protect all of the parts showing as rusting in that gallery.

Can you point me to the vast number of people that have reported this as an issue?

And a good compressor and an Oil gun type sprayer.....thinned down with WD40......done all my cars like for many years. I dont like ANY rust under my cars.
MG Waxoyl 2 .jpg
MG Waxoyl 1.jpg

That’s a cool garage. I’d love a two post lift like yours but I don’t have the height.

Thanks Kev,

yes I love it too, as a youngster in the late 60's I spent many uncomfortable hours laid on my back on my mothers drive...I promised myself that when I could afford it, I'd have a proper garage. I spend a lot of time in there ...especially now. The lift only cost me £600 from a local Rover Dealership that closed down.
Dennis Lift .jpg

A friend of mine got around the problem by chopping a hole in his roof!

Chris P

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, thats shocking and hoping its a one off for all us owners, mostly lets wish that MG resolve immediately for the owner!

It's been resolved, the finance company took it up and sorted it out for him. He's since had the car taken back and a full refund. MG however did not handle it well at all. Thankfully, having seen many other ZS EV's now along with inspecting my own carefully, I'm of the opinion it's not a systematic problem and we should generally be OK on the whole. There are some trivial potential issues I've noticed on mine, such as bolts that might rust up under the bonnet as they seem minimally plated and the like but next to nothing really.

I can imagine there will be a lot of owners on isolation who will be under their cars and bonet checking the situation out, just in case . Feeling that it may well be a one off situation as mentioned in other posts and great news that the owner is now fully refunded. Be interested to know if he is getting a new ZS EV ?

I would rather doubt it somehow. My granddad had a saying:- "its better to keep a customer, than find a new one". I've always taken note of that. ......I wonder if MG have?

Last edited:
Anybody tried this system of protection KROWN Rustproofing and if so what are your opinions. For £272 applied does not seem bad.

Not seen this before so checked it out, Looks to be mainly North American market, where are you getting it done?

Prevention is always better that cure......but I'm not aware of any current rusting problems with our cars.

I aways use a hose-pipe to clean under the wheel arches when washing the car, especially in winter of course.

( I have never used a jet washer on any of my cars.....it can force water into places that were never designed to get wet!)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom