Jomarkh

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi, has anyone else seen rust appearing around the holes under the bonnet?
IMG_20230501_174607.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230501_174616_Bokeh.jpg
    IMG_20230501_174616_Bokeh.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 163
Hi, has anyone else seen rust appearing around the holes under the bonnet?
View attachment 17273
That is concerning !.
How old is your car and how many miles has it covered ?.
The paint applied in these types of areas ( which are not visible ) on all cars these days are very minimal indeed these days.
It’s almost only like an over spray, from the main painting process.
It will be a roughy dull matt finish as no protective lacquer will have been applied to save money.
The rust starts at the very edge of hole(s) because there is no paint finish applied to the edge of the holes.
Moisture enters here and It creeps under the paint finish, it can be seen appearing like a spiders web spreading under the very thin paint finish.
This is easily more visible as an orange colour under the white paint of the car of course.
Application of a rust preventative into these holes at the factory would have prevented this situation from occurring.
Unfortunately now it will need sanding and refinishing before any anti rusting agent should be applied.
Will this covered under warranty I wonder ?.
They tend to try and dismiss this type of thing as “Staining” which is total B/S of course.
Thank you for posting your findings !.
Purely on a personal bases, I would be checking my car and then applying some anti rust protection spray into each and every one of them holes, purely as a matter of course ASAP after seeing @Jomarkh car.

I have had the car just over 2 years and done 33k miles.
My car is going in next month so will send them some pictures.

My car is going in next month so will send them some pictures.
There will be no problem with them seeing the problem for sure !.
I will be very interested to hear what their response will be to this issue.
I know you will keep us informed ( please ).

Pretty concerning for a 2yr old car. Don't think any car I've owned in the last 20 years or so displayed rusting like this, using galvanised steel typically prevents this for many many years.
Having spotted surface corrosion in places on my 5 month old MG4, I think SAIC has definitely opted for plain steel on most if not all body panels on their cars.

Thinking that my LFP battery will outlast the rest of the car. Handy for a home storage system I guess :)

I have the same, Although without the bubbling of the paint, but definitely rust showing around those holes. I have a claim in at the moment for this and a couple of other issues. After 18 Months and 27k miles I'm still loving the car, but seriously disappointed with the quality of materials used in this car. How did you get on with your claim??

I have the same, Although without the bubbling of the paint, but definitely rust showing around those holes. I have a claim in at the moment for this and a couple of other issues. After 18 Months and 27k miles I'm still loving the car, but seriously disappointed with the quality of materials used in this car. How did you get on with your claim??
Apparently they are not rusty enough but it is going in for the Radio Module Disconnected faulty again so I will get them to check to see if they have got worse.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom