Safe to charge to 100%?

I'm not worried either, even if I was, from what people are saying, I think my normal use seems to be good for the battery anyway.
I usually let it get down to around 70 miles left on the GOM then add 30-40 miles for free at Tescos, on average about once a week (occasionally twice) as I only do around 40 miles a week.
I've only charged it to full 3 times, once when I first got my home charger, to make sure it was working, then on two occasions where I went to the coast for a day out, just topping up to 95% on the way back on a CCS.
I think the fuss about manual battery management is much ado about nothing anyway, if the battery needs replacing in say 8 or 10 years time, you may get a newer technology battery that gives better performance in range and longevity and cost less.

40 Miles a week is not normal usage. The battery will probably outlast you before you will ever need to replace it. It will take you 48 years to put a 100.000 miles on the odometer.

Hi Folks,
There is loads of information on battery degradation out there. Unfortunately most of the early data is based on first generation Leaf which has a poor degedration performance. More recent data seem to have been skewed by Tesla due to their bigger battery capacity and the fact that battery degradation is non-linear.
Here is some data on 1st year degradation:
Screenshot_20200927_190559_com.android.chrome.jpg

I put mine on an overnight charge, when the range left is about 50, takes the battery to about 80%
Thanks for the info, reassuring to know how little the batteries degrade.
Greens - What time should we charge 23.00 until 7.00 ?

Greens - What time should we charge 23.00 until 7.00 ?

Overnight is a
good start but for a more accurate information on the best time for lowest CO2 emissions on the grid, use a site such as this - Carbon Intensity

All the main point here and more than anything else is not to excessively Rapid Charge, fast charging and slow charging are what best for battery health, however who cares when you have a warranty...

Hi @dprager , thanks for your links and research.

So it looks like I’m on the fast track to poor battery health. I thought I would be golden by just keeping the SOC between 20 and 80 percent. I wonder how much the liquid cooling of the eZS helps mitigate the heat from rapid charging?

Saying that though I will not change my charging habits and will continue to rapid charge almost daily. Looks like that will leave me with 90% battery health in three years and that is good enough for me. I only have the car for another 35 months.

Hi @dprager , thanks for your links and research.

So it looks like I’m on the fast track to poor battery health. I thought I would be golden by just keeping the SOC between 20 and 80 percent. I wonder how much the liquid cooling of the eZS helps mitigate the heat from rapid charging?

Saying that though I will not change my charging habits and will continue to rapid charge almost daily. Looks like that will leave me with 90% battery health in three years and that is good enough for me. I only have the car for another 35 months.
Spoken like a true "consumer" (y) ;)
Reminds me of a time back in the 80s when I used to put seat covers on my cars to keep them pristine.
The brother-in law said why cover my nice seats up, I was just keeping them pristine for the next owner and not seeing the benefits myself. That was the last time I had seat covers on any of my cars. :cool:

I personally have always charged my car about once a month to 100% during the six months that I have owned it, and was unaware that this was detrimental to the battery, but given covid restrictions I have only done 1600 miles in that time, but given my age I am pretty sure the battery will outlast me, so am not going to loose any sleep about it,
But interestingly have found that when having almost depleted the battery on one long journey and having to fully recharge it on the 3 KW charger until full, found that the available range was 177 miles due to the slow charge having balanced out the cells, thus increasing the range, which made for a range worry free trip home. Well worth doing if you have a long trip planned, and is good for the battery anyway, or so I'm told.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom