Same problem with every charger but my home one!

MartinKS

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Same problem with every charger but my home one! (MG5)

I don’t quite know what I’ve done wrong, but for about a week now I can only get the charge port to lock closed and start on my home charger. On every other one, fast or slow the locks won’t engage - I can hear them try to slide in but they fail and retract, leaving the car not charging.

I’ve got a Wallbox pulsar, which we recently started using on a timed schedule. I’ve tried multiple brands of ccs charger, and multiple lower speed charger with my own cable that I’ve known to work for 6 months prior.

I can’t see any debris in the charge port - and that wouldn’t make much sense as my home 7kw works fine. All the cables have seated fine in the port too, just not locked.

Has anyone seen this? Any suggestions for a fix?

Currently stuck too far from home, which was both stupid and kind of unavoidable.

Have you contacted the AA or MG assit?
Sounds like you need to get it to your dealer on the back of a truck.
Does it not even lock after starting a charge or does it not get to that stage?

I don’t quite know what I’ve done wrong, but for about a week now I can only get the charge port to lock closed and start on my home charger. On every other one, fast or slow the locks won’t engage - I can hear them try to slide in but they fail and retract, leaving the car not charging.

I’ve got a Wallbox pulsar, which we recently started using on a timed schedule. I’ve tried multiple brands of ccs charger, and multiple lower speed charger with my own cable that I’ve known to work for 6 months prior.

I can’t see any debris in the charge port - and that wouldn’t make much sense as my home 7kw works fine. All the cables have seated fine in the port too, just not locked.

Currently stuck too far from home, which was both stupid and kind of unavoidable.
Sorry to hear of your predicament. If you’ve tried lots of other things you could try disconnecting the 12v battery for a few seconds and reconnecting =, if you know how and have the tools. Take off the negative lead and refit Good luck.

Have you contacted the AA or MG assit?
Sounds like you need to get it to your dealer on the back of a truck.
Does it not even lock after starting a charge or does it not get to that stage?
It locks at home, and it locked on the most recent slow charger but it didn’t get any charge after 30 minutes

Sorry to hear of your predicament. If you’ve tried lots of other things you could try disconnecting the 12v battery for a few seconds and reconnecting =, if you know how and have the tools. Take off the negative lead and refit Good luck.
I can maybe get home. If I get to 5 miles battery left I’ll try this. One of the ccs chargers said there was a communication error from the car end so this may be a solution

I’m lucky in that there are chargers directly on my way 15, 10 and 5 miles from home, I should be able to get to at least the first of these and probably the 5 mile one too if I’m careful and lucky.

It sounds like it’s related to the ‘handshake’ between car and charger, which can be different on public pay chargers that don’t deliver until payment is authorised. As suggested AA will also get you home if you’re really in trouble.

May sound really stupid but do you have the car turned off before you try to start the charge?

Thank you all for your responses, I got home with 8 miles to spare having turned off everything and driven at 53-55 the whole way behind a lorry. Averaged 5.3 miles per kWh which isn’t too bad!

I’ll book it in with mg in the morning, for now it’s charging fine on the driveway.
Glad you made it back. 5.3 is ruddy good.

Glad to here you are home safe and sound.
Squeaky bum time, with only 8 miles remaining !.
Well done on your efficiency score, any use of the cabin heater would consumed that 10 miles almost instantly !.
Interesting to hear what the dealer has to say.
They must have a 7 Kw wall box at the dealership, in order to try the car surely ?.
They need to prove that the car will charge on a 7 Kw unit and a CCS rapid, before returning it to you again !.

I believe the home charger is the ONLY A/C unit that the owner can receive a charger from right now, all other A/C units are refusing to play ball !.
Somehow refusing to lock in the charging gun and therefore not being able to conduct the hand shake between car and post maybe ?.
Could this suggest a problem with the cable locking in pin in the charging port on the car then ??.
Is the receiving hole in his cable, just a little more generous and therefore allowing the "locking in pin" to engage on his home cable ???.

As time went on more cables would lock in, so maybe there was a problem with the pin, sadly nothing would still charge it.

No DC or AC chargers would charge the car, in the end only my wallbox and my granny chager worked at all.

It must be the car, but I'll update once MG have looked at it.

Is your home charger tethered ?
If so then I would suspect your type2 to type 2 cable.
Nope, it's the car. the CCS DC chargers wouldn't work either.

The only working charger was my wallbox and my granny charger. Both are dumb, in that they don't have to handshake with the car to initiate a charge. Both just send power and hope.

They must have a 7 Kw wall box at the dealership, in order to try the car surely ?.
They need to prove that the car will charge on a 7 Kw unit and a CCS rapid, before returning it to you again !.
My local dealer has a 7kw charger, but I'd guess it's a cheap one like mine that will probably work just fine.

I'll give them my membership cards for the local DC chargers and will only take it back once they can prove it's working. Frankly, if it's not it's not worth having the car for my use. And to be honest I'm not giving them a penny to fix it either.

Is it a possibility that one of the pins in the charger or your cable as got bent or has some misalignment but them two do match up to each other.
Long shot I know but worth a look see.
Les

Both are dumb, in that they don't have to handshake with the car to initiate a charge.
Even if your wall box IS one of the older dumb units ( like mine ) then surely it still has to perform the magic handshake with the car first, before it can commence allowing any A/C power to enter into the inverter ?.
It is my understanding that when charging from a D/C rapid charger, the HV current does not pass through the inverter of course.
The BMS etc will be controlling what is happening then !.
It does sound a lot like a communication problem.

May sound really stupid but do you have the car turned off before you try to start the charge?
I will repeat @slmorgan42 question above as it was not answered. At home you probably instinctively have the car turned off, so do you turn it off when out and about and want a charge ?
This sounds very similar to another recent story. :)

I will repeat @slmorgan42 question above as it was not answered. At home you probably instinctively have the car turned off, so do you turn it off when out and about and want a charge ?
This sounds very similar to another recent story. :)
I had this problems (user error) which is why it is fresh in my mind :)

We have had a similar problem and discovered that there was an update outstanding. Considering the car was only a few months old, we would have expected it to be up to date on delivery but no. They will only let you know if there is a safety update/recall. Otherwise it will be diagnosed only if you have a problem. I suggest you ask the dealer to ensure the software is up to date

We have had a similar problem and discovered that there was an update outstanding. Considering the car was only a few months old, we would have expected it to be up to date on delivery but no. They will only let you know if there is a safety update/recall. Otherwise it will be diagnosed only if you have a problem. I suggest you ask the dealer to ensure the software is up to date
Hi. I'd be really interested in who/where you got that update. I went to Glyn Hopkins for my MG5's first year service last week, but I've been having issue with public charging (communications errors at GridServe), but GH said there were no updates. I haven't had the chance to try since.
Thanks.

Hi. I'd be really interested in who/where you got that update. I went to Glyn Hopkins for my MG5's first year service last week, but I've been having issue with public charging (communications errors at GridServe), but GH said there were no updates. I haven't had the chance to try since.
Thanks.
We took our car back to the dealer because we were having problems with using public chargers, in particular the fast chargers on motorways etc. They told us that they would only look for an update if they had the car in with a particular fault. The update was found by their diagnostics equipment. They are not advised of updates by MG and are therefore unable to advise us if one is due. If Glyn Hopkins is a main dealer, their machines should be able to give you the update. We still cannot believe that we were sold a car that wouldn’t accept a fast charge as those chargers have been around longer than our car and would have expected the car to be up to date when we collected it 6 months ago. We only discovered the problem now that we are using more power eg heat, lights, on our journeys and need to charge en route. Hope that helps

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom