Same problem with every charger but my home one!

So the funny thing is that it's only certain brands that aren't working with my car. I've been going to a different 1-3 every day for a while now and it's ones like GridServe that are least likely to work, though they work fine with other cars.

Pretty much 90% of working CCS DC chargers are working with my car, 95% of working AC slow chargers work. On the day of the problems I'd just been really unlucky it seems 3 times in a row.

I could only get an appointment for a service in late Jan, so updates will be sparse I'm afraid.

Hi, do you mean Rapid DC CCS chargers?
Fast AC EVSE are normally type2.
Any of the rapid chargers. It seems that they car was not programmed to accept over 7kw. The update fixed it as we have tested not far from home ( so that we could get back safely if necessary) and now have confidence to make a long journey

So the funny thing is that it's only certain brands that aren't working with my car. I've been going to a different 1-3 every day for a while now and it's ones like GridServe that are least likely to work, though they work fine with other cars.

Pretty much 90% of working CCS DC chargers are working with my car, 95% of working AC slow chargers work. On the day of the problems I'd just been really unlucky it seems 3 times in a row.

I could only get an appointment for a service in late Jan, so updates will be sparse I'm afraid.
Gridserve have been doing a lot of software updates on their chargers recently to enable dual CCS charging.

I know they had issues charging MG a while back although I thought they'd fixed that.

My Last charge on both a high power and a dual CCS medium power charger worked although the High power one was only giving me 41-43KW (not sure if the cable cooling had failed or it was the car not wanting to take more)

We took our car back to the dealer because we were having problems with using public chargers, in particular the fast chargers on motorways etc. They told us that they would only look for an update if they had the car in with a particular fault. The update was found by their diagnostics equipment. They are not advised of updates by MG and are therefore unable to advise us if one is due. If Glyn Hopkins is a main dealer, their machines should be able to give you the update. We still cannot believe that we were sold a car that wouldn’t accept a fast charge as those chargers have been around longer than our car and would have expected the car to be up to date when we collected it 6 months ago. We only discovered the problem now that we are using more power eg heat, lights, on our journeys and need to charge en route. Hope that helps

I've used a few Gridserve chargers over the last
two weeks including 2 dual chargers alongside another EV and no issues with any of them.

I too was having charging connection issues in particular with Gridserve and Instavolt. Really long story and after some great customer support from Instavolt there is a sequence you need to do.
Get out of car
Lock car
Do payment etc and stuff on charging panel
Just before you connect
Unlock car
Insert cable

I too was having charging connection issues in particular with Gridserve and Instavolt. Really long story and after some great customer support from Instavolt there is a sequence you need to do.
Get out of car
Lock car
Do payment etc and stuff on charging panel
Just before you connect
Unlock car
Insert cable
All advice helpful but what is the point of locking the car then unlocking it ?

My method which seems to work with all chargers I have used is.
Turn off car.
Plug in charger
Do what needs to be done on the charger (RFID, contactless/app whatever).

Quite often the charger will say 'plug in car' before realising it is already or by you confirming on screen it is. Maybe I have been lucky, but have found the simple approach works for me.

All advice helpful but what is the point of locking the car then unlocking it ?

My method which seems to work with all chargers I have used is.
Turn off car.
Plug in charger
Do what needs to be done on the charger (RFID, contactless/app whatever).

Quite often the charger will say 'plug in car' before realising it is already or by you confirming on screen it is. Maybe I have been lucky, but have found the simple approach works for me.
The point being is that it was the only sequence of events that worked on various Instavolt chargers with 2 Cars.

I have had my first rapid charging fail in my MG4 and it happened to be at a Gridserve location on the M1 (Watford Gap from memory). Every other charger has worked fine, including MFG, Instavolt, EZ-Charge, Osprey. Fortunately, I actually didn't need to charge but thought I would give it a go as the charger was available late at night whilst taking a comfort break. Anyone else had Gridserve issues in an MG4? We've had no issues with Gridserve on any of our other MG and non-MG EV's.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom