Michel

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have a 2022 MG ZS EV Long range. A couple of days ago I noticed that the inbuilt sat nav freezes within a few seconds of input of a new destination. I shows the first navigation instruction on the screen. But then it stops and the car icon just remains stationary. Interestingly, each time I turn on the car the correct location is shown on the screen. When I start to drive the sat nav doesn't change location. I have tried a factory reset but it's still the same. Just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem and if they were able to fix it. It would save me a journey to the dealership if it could be fixed at home. Thanks for your help. Michel😁

I have a 2022 MG ZS EV Long range. A couple of days ago I noticed that the inbuilt sat nav freezes within a few seconds of input of a new destination. I shows the first navigation instruction on the screen. But then it stops and the car icon just remains stationary. Interestingly, each time I turn on the car the correct location is shown on the screen. When I start to drive the sat nav doesn't change location. I have tried a factory reset but it's still the same. Just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem and if they were able to fix it. It would save me a journey to the dealership if it could be fixed at home. Thanks for your help. Michel😁
Here you go !.

Thanks for that. I'll try right now👍

Thank you so much. I followed your instructions and it is now cured👍

I wonder what the dead reckoning is actually for. Strange how it decided to turn itself on

I wonder what the dead reckoning is actually for. Strange how it decided to turn itself on
It appears that it is turned “on” by default from the factory.
Many owners have discovered the same issue and turned it “Off” in order to get the Sat Nav up and running correctly.
Strangely enough, the work around was found not by an MG dealer, but by one of the early owners of the ZS EV facelift model.
I believe it is there in order for the car to retain its location when passing through a tunnel etc.
But it never really worked as intended and has not been subject to an update as such.

You are very welcome 🙏.

Yes very strange. I have 'dead reckoning´ turned on. It works fine for me in Europe and shows an estimation of where you are when driving through tunnels and never had a problem.

Yes very strange. I have 'dead reckoning´ turned on. It works fine for me in Europe and shows an estimation of where you are when driving through tunnels and never had a problem.
If I turn it on and then use the sat nav it works. The next time I use the car and sat nav it freezes, so I have to switch it off again.

Thanks for that. I'll try right now👍

Dead reckoning is required where GPS cannot work, eg, in tunnels etc. & so is set to 'on' by default. This issue seems to be a problem in the UK for some reason & not a problem here in Australia, in my experience. There are also other ways around this aside from just turning it off, such as resetting the head unit.

Dead reckoning is required where GPS cannot work, eg, in tunnels etc. & so is set to 'on' by default. This issue seems to be a problem in the UK for some reason & not a problem here in Australia, in my experience. There are also other ways around this aside from just turning it off, such as resetting the head unit.
The OP did try this and so have others in the U.K. but resetting the unit, does not provide a fix unfortunately.
Only by turning off the dead reckoning feature in the head unit in the U.K. will allow the Sat Nav to function at all.
A software fix has never been forth coming by MG in this regard ?.

Last edited:
I believe that there is, which is why it's so astounding that this keeps happening. But I don't have a service number to support this.
Their stance appears to be directed towards only applying updates that have been requested or are deemed necessary, in order to deal with a customer complaint on the car, rather than a routine process at the annual service point TBH.
A touch of a “if it’s not broke, don’t touch it” stance.

Their stance appears to be directed towards only applying updates that have been requested or are deemed necessary, in order to deal with a customer complaint on the car, rather than a routine process at the annual service point TBH.
A touch of a “if it’s not broke, don’t touch it” stance.
And if it is broke, wait for the customer to complain before doing something about it. :)

Thanks to Nicko and Lovemyev: I have had exactly this problem for a couple of months, and this fixed it instantly!

I had a service booked for five weeks time to fix this - I might keep the booking before cancelling, in case something else comes up. Shame the service department didn't know about this DIY fix when I booked it in. Maybe they did....

Anyway, thanks again!

I tried using the sat nav for the first time today and had the same, frozen problem. When I got home I phoned the dealer and they told me about Dead Reckoning, wanted me to come in so they could turn it off. It is a faff to explain where it is but it didn't take too many prods and pokes to find it so let's hope that's done the trick.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. As I said I found after a couple of mins exploring. I'll see if it's worked after I get it off the dentist's 😢. Beats me why MG don't fix it, it's daft things like that that stop the ZS being known as the truly great car it should be!

Thanks for that. As I said I found after a couple of mins exploring. I'll see if it's worked after I get it off the dentist's 😢. Beats me why MG don't fix it, it's daft things like that that stop the ZS being known as the truly great car it should be!
It will work fine when dead reckoning is turned off.
It was not a dealer who found the fix, it was a member of the forum !.
When the car leaves the factory, dead reckoning is defaulted to ON.
It has to be manually turned OFF in the head unit in order for the Sat nav to work correctly.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom