Say Hello

I did indeed do some research, mainly here and avidly watching the podcast (partly why we've given Pilot a miss due to only being warrantied for 36 months) - so thank you all!

I confess I forgot to double check about the cable, I'll do so when they call. I did check that they'll include comfort updates in a service (outwith it'd be £45).

Being geeky I do want to keep a record of how much it costs to run, especially as we're going to be relying on public charging for the foreseeable.

No doubts really, it's just that given that our last car was £600 it's a bit of a jump o_O
One tip re Brighton lamp post chargers. In some of the reserved bays (on a one street) the lamp post can be at the far rear of the car. This makes it pretty impossible to park legally if your cable is 5m. I got a third party 7.5 meter type two cable. It wasn't cheap but it has taken a lot of parking anxiety away.

Hi all, Pick up my ZS EV Exvlusive on Tuesday the 12th of October. Bit of a change for me been a full petrol head for years, Had a few Merc AMG's, Subaru etc.
Really lookinf forwrd to the MG, Bought for me and my wife to share and our 10 and 11 year old.
Great forum, learnt loads.
Jerry

Hi Barry, Fellow expat? do you have a leclerc near you? the local one to me has just had charging points installed, cost 5Euro for a card, the sales person wasn't sure if it lasted a year or a lifetime??
Plus some Auchan are free?

Hello from Leicestershire. Got my new MG ZS exclusive today. Early days … but loving it so far!. I test drove quite a few EV but this was my favourite by far. Really can’t grumble at the price. I only drive about 30 miles a day so no brainer for me. Not sure whether it’s worth buying a home pod point….

Evening all. Had the MG5 for a couple of weeks now, really pleased with it. Not new to EV's had a Zoe back in 2014, then went back to a petrol (Abarth) for a couple of years then back into an EV (Smart Fortwo) in summer 2020. Wasn't expecting to get out of the Smart so quickly, but with the used prices on the up and I was more than happy to change!

One thing I have noticed is how many EVs we have on the roads these days, I remember the day you could turn up to a rapid charger without another EV in sight!

Speaking of the charging network I really hope the momentum carries on with guys at Instavolt, these have become our go to charger.

Thanks for approving my entry to the group.

I've been driving a privately owned Outlander phev for nearly 6 years and despite loving it have been thinking of going full electric for some time.

Like most, I guess, I've spent countless hours carrying out research and reading and watching reviews.

The usual yo-yoing up and down various brand ranges trying to balance features against common sense.

Finally got to a fairly stable position reinforced by that eminently sensible podcast with head of MG UK and following our visit to a diabolical Kia EV6 'Experience' a couple days ago.

So now very much homing in on an MG5 but as hooked on app controlled defrosting / heating with Outlander hope the 2022 5 will have that.

I'd like to have a look at a Marvel too, if they bring those to the UK.

I'm an old boy and prob haven't got enough time to wait for solid state batteries or the like, so time to dive in.

Don't get too hooked up on range. I bought a 53kWh MG5 and it's a great car, done 1,770 miles so far. The problem with driving long distances isn't with the cars anymore, anything with 150 miles range is fine. The problem is with the charging infrastructure and that is being improved all the time. You have to remember the bigger battery you get the more weight you have to lug around. For example the EV6 is 353Kg heavier that my MG5 excite. I regularly get 4.4 miles per kWh plus.

Welcome :) What was the issue with your EV6 experience?
A few things, first I erroneously thought that it was going to be a one to one thing and we found ourselves in a smallish showroom with quite a lot of people (the majority members of the dealer's staff which maybe says something.

The presentation started with a promotional video which was quite meaningless rubbish totally unrelated to the car or anything in the real world and things went rapidly downhill when their 'super salesman' (my description) started bellowing his introduction wherein he asked those present to answer his loaded questions about range anxiety and so on, pausing only to almost start a verbal fight with one potential customer. Quite an obnoxious individual who, when I eventually tried to put some out of their misery by answering one of his questions (about the time to charge using a top end charger) muttered something about 'another keyboard warrior'.

Exit stage left without looking at the car - which I've seen countless video reviews about anyway.

The interview with Guy Pigounakis at MG UK hit another nail firmly on the head when he talked about some marques needing to be careful how far upmarket they try to pitch themselves because the image that the buying public has of them might not match the manufacturer's aspirations and the EC6 might be a good example of that in that when you chase all of the features that you think you want (but don't actually need) up the range you suddenly find that you are looking at well over £50,000 for a Kia.

I don't pick cars to impress the neighbours or anyone else but I think that if I was going to spend north of 50 grand on a car that a side benefit might be that they would be. The reality is that they would see the Kia badge and make their own assumptions about its value for money, or not.

I should say that I like the Kia brand and have had one of their older somewhat environmentally unfriendly vehicles in the past - a Kia Sedona diesel (the older more practical design) - but a great cruiser.

Hi JimB and welcome this might help with the app for the MG5 take a look around 5:40 minutes into it
It’s on YouTube The wheel network just search 2022 MG5 ev if the link doesn’t play
1634028731367.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi JimB and welcome this might help with the app for the MG5 take a look around 5:40 minutes into it
It’s on YouTube The wheel network just search 2022 MG5 ev if the link doesn’t playView attachment 5231
Got it now Les, I posted an even longer version in the MG 5 forum. Speaking as someone who doesn't currently own an MG I think it looks great, and the equipment / spec updates are very useful.

Thanks Les, so far I can't get this to run, is it a video file?
Hi Jim yes it a YouTube video sorry I’m not the best with tech so if you bust YouTube and search 2022 MG5 about the 4th one done you will see the picture and it from the wheel network need to play it for a while to find what you want to see around 5.40 minutes in
Oops Jim I have only just seen your post saying you have found it after I posted this yeh it looks good I had mine now 6 months getting on for 7000 miles and its great very please with it
Les

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom