• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Say Hello

Good evening folks.

Like many I am an EV noob. I have recently ordered a MG5 excite through my works car leasing program and I am eagerly awaiting its arrival but as I am Northern Ireland based there is a 16 week lead time on it so I am swatting away and reading up on as much as I can to limit my noobish as much as I can.

What one tip do you recommend that you wish you knew when you first went EV
Hi - for me, just remember the WLTP range quoted is unlikely! A number of factors affect the battery range - including weather and how fast you drive / accelerate. I'm afraid gone are the days of doing 70-ish on the motorway! ;)

Even if you're taking it easy, in winter (also known as Spring, Summer and Autumn in Northern Ireland! :ROFLMAO:) the cold saps the battery so you'll have a much shorter range.

For most people, they'll be doing local journeys of 20-30 miles per day so it won't be an issue but if you're having to travel (especially if it's last minute) far, get used to knowing where the public rapid chargers are on your route!

My daughter goes to Uni 60 miles away from the house. However, if I take it easy and use the non-motorway route I can 'just' make it there and back home without charging if I start with a fully charged battery - however, I've not tried this journey in the middle of Winter! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Bloggsy

Hi - for me, just remember the WLTP range quoted is unlikely! A number of factors affect the battery range - including weather and how fast you drive / accelerate. I'm afraid gone are the days of doing 70-ish on the motorway! ;)

Even if you're taking it easy, in winter (also known as Spring, Summer and Autumn in Northern Ireland! :ROFLMAO:) the cold saps the battery so you'll have a much shorter range.

For most people, they'll be doing local journeys of 20-30 miles per day so it won't be an issue but if you're having to travel (especially if it's last minute) far, get used to knowing where the public rapid chargers are on your route!

My daughter goes to Uni 60 miles away from the house. However, if I take it easy and use the non-motorway route I can 'just' make it there and back home without charging if I start with a fully charged battery - however, I've not tried this journey in the middle of Winter! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Bloggsy
To be fair, in an MG5, a 120 round trip will not be range anxiety inducing road trip even with motorway and winter.

Cheers

Bloggsy
Thanks for the tip it’s definitely something I will keep an eye on

Hello All, new member here

I am a an EV user of 5 years vintage now, on my 2nd Tesla (M3LR), now looking to go fully electric by replacing our Diesel Galaxy, with a MG5 EV. Currently holding out for this weeks new LR version.

On paper I have been impressed by the Mg5 'Bang for Buck'

Hi Everyone,
Just thought I'd say hello- I joined a week ago as I was gathering info & considering the MG5.
I'm already an ev owner- Renault Zoe ZE40 since 2018. It was my local dealers ex demo car- I had only gone to try out an ev for the first time and was so impressed I bought it there and then!

Originally I was going to hang on to the Zoe for a couple of more years but an incident earlier this year has made me think again. I had a 120 mile trip to pick up an ebay purchase and on my way home, missed the local ac rapid charger and carried on down the road. Battery level was getting low and I spotted a new bank of chargers at the petrol station at Standish. Looked great with all the new chargers- ccs & chademo- not a single ac charger. My dilemma? 12 miles "in the tank" & 120 miles to home. Zoe's always underestimate their range and with careful driving I made it to the ecotricity chargers at Rivington services. Say what you like about the ecotricity pumps, I have only ever had 1 failure using them.

With Gridserve taking over the electric highway, things look good, but the fact that some of the upgrades they are now doing do not have ac charging, I wonder how much longer ac charging will be available at these sites. I know gridserve have promised to sort this and provide charging for all but as time goes on there will be less demand for ac, as ccs becomes the defacto standard. I can see ac charging being relegated to domestic/destination/supermarket charging. With the ZE40 only having ac, it made me rethink my plans.

Phew! A bit of a ramble to get to where I am now! Looks like the MG5 ticks all the boxes for me and today (20/7/21) took one for a test drive from my local dealer Pentraeth MG. Result- Absolutely brilliant-I'll be ordering one in the very near future. According to my dealer, they've had notification they should have the long range available for demo in the next few weeks! can't wait!

Hi Everyone,
Just thought I'd say hello- I joined a week ago as I was gathering info & considering the MG5.
I'm already an ev owner- Renault Zoe ZE40 since 2018. It was my local dealers ex demo car- I had only gone to try out an ev for the first time and was so impressed I bought it there and then!

Originally I was going to hang on to the Zoe for a couple of more years but an incident earlier this year has made me think again. I had a 120 mile trip to pick up an ebay purchase and on my way home, missed the local ac rapid charger and carried on down the road. Battery level was getting low and I spotted a new bank of chargers at the petrol station at Standish. Looked great with all the new chargers- ccs & chademo- not a single ac charger. My dilemma? 12 miles "in the tank" & 120 miles to home. Zoe's always underestimate their range and with careful driving I made it to the ecotricity chargers at Rivington services. Say what you like about the ecotricity pumps, I have only ever had 1 failure using them.

With Gridserve taking over the electric highway, things look good, but the fact that some of the upgrades they are now doing do not have ac charging, I wonder how much longer ac charging will be available at these sites. I know gridserve have promised to sort this and provide charging for all but as time goes on there will be less demand for ac, as ccs becomes the defacto standard. I can see ac charging being relegated to domestic/destination/supermarket charging. With the ZE40 only having ac, it made me rethink my plans.

Phew! A bit of a ramble to get to where I am now! Looks like the MG5 ticks all the boxes for me and today (20/7/21) took one for a test drive from my local dealer Pentraeth MG. Result- Absolutely brilliant-I'll be ordering one in the very near future. According to my dealer, they've had notification they should have the long range available for demo in the next few weeks! can't wait!
Welcome, and I must say, great choice on the MG5. More than enough range to never worry about getting down to single digit percentage left and proper useable room inside. The long range version just extends that even more.

Welcome, and I must say, great choice on the MG5. More than enough range to never worry about getting down to single digit percentage left and proper useable room inside. The long range version just extends that even more.
Hi John,
Thanks for that. 11 hours on from reluctantly handing the car back I still have a grin on my face! Going from the ZE 40 to a 61kWh MG5 will more than meet my needs for the near future. Even messing around with all the settings I was getting 4.4m/kWh today and I can see the predicted 250 mile range being attainable with my driving style.

Hi John,
Thanks for that. 11 hours on from reluctantly handing the car back I still have a grin on my face! Going from the ZE 40 to a 61kWh MG5 will more than meet my needs for the near future. Even messing around with all the settings I was getting 4.4m/kWh today and I can see the predicted 250 mile range being attainable with my driving style.
Even at 200 miles, that give you a great range with 40+ left to find a charge if/when needed. Not exactly anxiety inducing. :)

Hey folks,
signed up for thr forum a wee while ago, picked up my MG5 a few days ago, looking forward to seeing how we get on !

Replaced the petrol zafira you can see in the background.

Attachments

• car pic.jpg
    car pic.jpg
    663.3 KB · Views: 140
Hey folks,
signed up for thr forum a wee while ago, picked up my MG5 a few days ago, looking forward to seeing how we get on !

Replaced the petrol zafira you can see in the background.
Welcome to the fun world of the MG5, and congratulations on picking the correct colour (even if it is a bugger to keep clean).

Hey, Tony enjoy your new toy.
You will find yourself trying to find places to go in it😀

Last edited:
Hello guys, This is my 1st post after picking my Dynamic Red Mg5 exclusive up on Friday, I traded in my Mazda 6 sports nav, I am loving this car, enough speed when you need it and easy to use screens, The granny charger is quick enough for me, being retired there is no hurry to charge. The quiet drive takes a bit to get used to but loving it and this forum is great for information sharing.

Hello, just joined after lurking here for a few weeks gleaning information.

Just ordered a MG5 Exclusive in Dynamic Red from Budgen's Telford under the Motability scheme. First EV and looking forward to it.

Current car is a diesel Skoda Karoq SUV which isn't due to go back until late October, so got to wait until then to get hold om MG5, trouble is, I want it now.

Test drove a few different EV's over the last few weeks, Citroen eC4, VW ID.3 ah Hyundai Kona, whilst the Kona had the best features and range (but was too small) and the eC4 looked the best (in my opinion, but had doubts about it's range), it came down to the ID3 or the MG5 and practicality won out. I need plenty of luggage space and the option of a roof rack (both of which the ID3 was lacking), so the MG5 it was.

Also got this strange weakness for Austin's/ Rovers etc and whilst I know that today's MG's are nothing to do with the old, there's still that association, head overruled heart in most of the decision, but I think that last one crept in to be part of the deciding factor.

Mind you, worst car I ever owned was a MG Maestro, so less said about that, the better.

Happy to be here and gaining lots of info.

Hi and welcome,

Was it the Long Range you ordered for October?
No, normal range. Whilst I tried to get them to order that, it's not on the Motability scheme!

Annoying, because the list of available cars gets updated every three months, the latest update being July 1st so a couple of weeks before the LR was announced.

Was hopeful that I'd get the LR seeing as it's a 3 month wait, but the dealer said they are going to keep producing the normal range alongside the LR for the foreseeable future, so not much chance, still have a vague hope though, shall have to wait and see.

“I need plenty of luggage space and the option of a roof rack”

I’m sure you know about this @BShing, but the 35kg limit might restrict you depending on your needs - it’ll be fine for bikes but even the lightest roof Bag I could find was 7kg (or 11kg for a proper Box) + up to 5kg-ish bars only leaves about 20 to 25kg for contents.

“I need plenty of luggage space and the option of a roof rack”

I’m sure you know about this @BShing, but the 35kg limit might restrict you depending on your needs - it’ll be fine for bikes but even the lightest roof Bag I could find was 7kg (or 11kg for a proper Box) + up to 5kg-ish bars only leaves about 20 to 25kg for contents.
I do indeed know about the limit, got quite worried earlier this year when I saw the 'decorative only' news.

It's only for going on holiday, got a roof box and will be putting, coats and light but bulky stuff up there. Hence why I chose the MG5 for the size of the boot.

I do indeed know about the limit, got quite worried earlier this year when I saw the 'decorative only' news.

It's only for going on holiday, got a roof box and will be putting, coats and light but bulky stuff up there. Hence why I chose the MG5 for the size of the boot.
I've got the opposite issue when going on holiday - light but bulky dogs in the boot so need the 75kg load capacity on the roof 🤣

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom