Say Hello

Hi Tim,
Great idea gettthe spare, I got mine last week and it fits a treat with space for the granny charger and supplied pump and gunk.
Where did you get the Faraday pouches from?
What wall charger did you go for?

Hi Tim,
Great idea gettthe spare, I got mine last week and it fits a treat with space for the granny charger and supplied pump and gunk.
Where did you get the Faraday pouches from?
What wall charger did you go for?
Got one from MG and one from ebay to see how the standard between them is. the MG one was better. :)
Went for a tethered Rolec with 10m lead. Heard good and bad things but was recommended by John Newey at Summit so decided to give it a punt. Because the car is a PHEV was not too concerned about the RCD suffering from burn out on some early Rolec chargers. The charging unit will sit out of sight and cover various car positions on the drive.

Hi my name is Marc Nagtegaal. I was one of the early people to preorder the Sion Sono from Sono Motors. During there funding campaign I made prepayment to Back them up with the means I have.
I‘m a social worker in the high schools in Holland. So no big salary I’m afraid. I really like the idea behind the solar powered electric vehicle. The project however was delayed and delayed again. They will get there for sure. My wife was less enthusiastic as I am. I don’t care about cheaper material. The Idea of an affordable EV for every so we can get the energy transition going was the main goal for me.
The sion’s vision less is more appeals to me.
we where watching a YouTube film of the sion together. Then she had this expression on her face. She likes the idea but spending 25500 euros on a car with the interior of the Berlin metro..... ( a remark during the video) couldn’t we buy an occasion electric vehicle? For example a Tesla model s. 😳 wow I had spent some time in forums about the sion for the last 3 to 4 years. I was fearsomely defending the concept to friends and now she told me it’s not gonna happen 🙅.
So I went looking for tesla occasions but below 30.000 euros you only get 7 to 8 year old cars with 200.000+ kilometers not very reassuring when you spend that much money. I looked to other cars but they where not very much appealing. I don’t see what others see in a leaf or Kona. But then I saw a YouTube video about the MGZSEV. First one that was not very positive (you know how these spoiled journalists can be. But later from actual owners and positively surprised reviewers.
We decided to visit the MG dealership in Amsterdam and go to a occasion model S for the same price. The visit to the dealership gave us a quote on a MG ZSEV ex lease 3 months old only 1021KM (the previous owner got separated from his wife) an exclusive with tinted windows 18 inch katana rims and we negotiated a tow hook to be fitted. Total 29900 euros. Plus a 2000€ bonus from the government for buying an occasion EV.
after we went to take a look at the Tesla. Wow what a car. But I can’t visit my clients with that car. I would have to park around the corner. The car is just not me. We live in a smal farm and have to drive a path trough the woods. Tha it gonna happen with that Tesla.
so now in seven days I’m getting the car. I’ve just sold my old Renault grand scenic to a Polish man who will export the car to the Ukrainian.
Just hope that we bought the right car without any BMS updated and other problems I’ve saw you write about

Welcome Marc and thanks for the introduction. Sounds like you'll be putting your new car to good use and be very busy so hope to get updates about its performance over the next few months.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Hi. Good to join a forum for evs. We picked up our MG5ev at the beginning of March. It’s an odd time to be buying a car and many of the face-to-face handover routines done socially distancing! So, we have had to get the know the car the hard way, by trial and error. Nevertheless, we love it and have done over 2500 miles already. Our last vehicle was a Lexus CT hybrid - but we knew that we had to move on to all electric as soon as practical. We charge largely at home (free from our solar panels) and look forward to many more trouble-free miles with the MG

Welcome Musicman, coming from a hybrid, you'll be a little ahead of the EV 'game'! You'll find the members of the forum a pool of knowledge, so feel free to have a look around and ask away!

Cheers

Bloggsy

After watching and reading loads of info from here I thought I had better sign up.

I have had my MG 5 for over 3 weeks now and it is great fun.
I changed from driving a small van to this..

I currently own an MG ZS. Yesterday I visited Eric Stead in Sheffield and took a ZS EV for a test drive.

What a lovely car, great to drive with acceleration that brings a smile to your face. I placed my order today and I should be getting the car in about 10 days time.

I have decided not to go for a wall charger yet but I am may do in the future.

I currently own an MG ZS. Yesterday I visited Eric Stead in Sheffield and took a ZS EV for a test drive.

What a lovely car, great to drive with acceleration that brings a smile to your face. I placed my order today and I should be getting the car in about 10 days time.

Hi Richard,
You will find the granny charger supplied with the car takes 20 hours to charge car fully.
A wall caherger will do it in about 7 hours. If you get a cheap overnight tariff like Octopus Go. Then the wall charger is the way to go. I give mine 3/4 hours overnight.

I suggest you seriously consider a wall charger as the public chargers seem to be increasing albeit useful on longer journeys - for day to day use its a lot cheaper especially if you get a good deal from your power supplier (I changed to Octopus like others and its cheap as chips to fill up) Also a Q for others, has anyone tried to insure the wall charger where its location is outside as mine is???

I am British retired in North Eastern Thailand for 10 years.
I try to live off-grid as much as possible.

Solar:
  • 32 x 350 watt PV = 11.2kw for House electrics.
  • 38.4kWh of Battery storage
  • Can run the house off-grid for 9 months of the year but except for the 3 month monsoon season
  • Charge my HS PHEV in the middle of the day using excess solar

Water:
  • 36,000L of Rainwater harvesting
  • 2 Filter systems, one to produce drinking water and one for household use
  • 3 Solar well pumps - one as a backup for the house and 2 for drip irrigation.
  • Solar Thermal water heating system
  • All grey and black water is treated and recycled back to water teak trees in the garden

Food:
* 1.2 acre/0.5 hectare of land used for growing fruit and veg with a large fish pond

When I started looking for an EV 2 years ago the base level Nissan Leaf cost £45,000 in Thailand due to high import duties. Then MG imported the ZS EV for £27,000. I rushed to put down a deposit only to be told that I would have to have an electric meter installed specifically to power the wall charger because “solar would not produce enough power to charge an EV” I refused on principle.

MG's new HS PHEV, has a small 16.7 kWh battery and an onboard charger that only draws 3.7kW so I thought maybe I might be allowed to charge it from solar, but the answer was "no, unstable voltage from the solar system could damage the wall charger". MG Thailand outsources the install of the free MG wall charger that you get when you buy the car. Using any other wall charger would invalidate the car's warranty.

I emailed the President of MG Thailand to ask for his help. He very kindly agreed to help negotiate with the install company and a compromise was arrived at where I get a wall charger with no warranty and if my solar system fails to charge the car I agree to upgrade my grid connection. I now have the dubious honor of having the only Solar Powered MG in Thailand.

EcoHouseThailand.com

20210528_092734028_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
I emailed the President of MG Thailand to ask for his help. He very kindly agreed to help negotiate with the install company and a compromise was arrived at where I get a wall charger with no warranty and if my solar system fails to charge the car I agree to upgrade my grid connection. I now have the dubious honor of having the only Solar Powered MG in Thailand.
Good on you for sticking to your guns.

Enjoy many miles of free solar powered motoring

Evening all, ev newbie here. I pick my MG5 up next week.

I'm sure i'm in for a fun filled learning curve on all sorts of charging details.
Fun filled for sure. Charging is the big difference with the old ICE technology, but it quickly becomes as difficult as charging a mobile phone, and Oh boy, the benefits of EV's are so much better.

One word of caution though - great as it all may be, don't forget that you're still an "early adopter" so don't be downhearted if/when you do get some potholes in your journey.
You'll still wonder why you didn't do it earlier. :)

Evening all, ev newbie here. I pick my MG5 up next week.

I'm sure i'm in for a fun filled learning curve on all sorts of charging details.
I had mine since Easter, still loving it. I haven't pushed the range but used granny charger then Ohme at home plus Pod point out and about

Good evening folks.

Like many I am an EV noob. I have recently ordered a MG5 excite through my works car leasing program and I am eagerly awaiting its arrival but as I am Northern Ireland based there is a 16 week lead time on it so I am swatting away and reading up on as much as I can to limit my noobish as much as I can.

What one tip do you recommend that you wish you knew when you first went EV

Hi, I saw the MG5 liked it, they had a white one in stock so had it on the drive within 2 weeks.
I wish I had had time sort out a smart meter and off peak tariff as the process took longer than getting the car😁

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom