Say Hello

Hello from Trinidad and Tobago (T&T)!

I am the very happy driver of one of the first two MG ZS EV on the roads here. We have about 50-60 EVs in total on the roads of T&T, most of which are Hyundai Ionics. My MG ZS came via Barbados, from an MG dealer that has been exclusively selling EVs there for about 10 years. This is my first EV, our current vehicles all being petrol - a couple of Honda Civics and a Kia Sorento.

Our situation is a little different to the UK (i) it's always warm so the liquid cooled battery pack is a big deal (ii) I can drive anywhere in T&T and back home in a day and not have to worry about charging (the furthest out-back run would be about 250 km so just about do-able!) (iii) Average speeds are painfully slow (about 30 km/h with lots of start-stop and traffic, which the EV laps up!) (iv) Electricity is only 4.5p/kWh so I my energy cost is working out to be 1p/mile (v) the included 2.2kW (10A) charger is perfectly adequate for my normal driving habits so I will not be installing a 32A charger - installation cost to put a UK socket in place: £25.

In other words - this is a perfect market for EVs!! And even though our electricity comes from natural gas, driving an EV is fairly low carbon. So I am actively engaged in promoting EVs through my research as University Lecturer along with a small community of like-minded folks here. Unfortunately the government only currently incentivizes commercial EVs, so that is something for which we are lobbying.
Hello & welcome (currently -2c here btw 🥶)

Hi all, my name is Phil
I just wanted to say hi
I am a fully qualified MG Technician including the EV. I have gone through all but one course which would be
for the New face lifted 2020 MG ZS.
I was working in Seaford East Sussex as the only qualified MG Technician on site. I cannot name the company for obvious reasons. I've decided to start my own mobile business specializing and focusing on MG. So if your live near and need any help with your vehicle. P.m me.
On another note, if your struggling with a problem and you would like some advice then I will be looking in on this forum daily and I will do my best to help.
Hi Phil,
Glad I spotted your post when I was going through the forum. Might certainly be calling on your expertise from time to time since only two of us have got the MG ZS EV here in Trinidad & Tobago. I'm sure any help we get will complement support from the dealer over in Barbados!
Graham

Hello & welcome (currently -2c here btw 🥶)
1610485370131.png

🤫

How about solar. I would have thought ideal in your part of the world!
Hi jamesie,
It would be ideal but the low cost of electricity means that payback would be about 100 years!! I'd have to be really committed to go that way. But the government is investing in grid solar at the moment so we will be partly renewable in a couple of years time.

I am the very happy driver of one of the first two MG ZS EV on the roads here. We have about 50-60 EVs in total on the roads of T&T, most of which are Hyundai Ionics. My MG ZS came via Barbados, from an MG dealer that has been exclusively selling EVs there for about 10 years. This is my first EV, our current vehicles all being petrol - a couple of Honda Civics and a Kia Sorento.

Our situation is a little different to the UK (i) it's always warm so the liquid cooled battery pack is a big deal (ii) I can drive anywhere in T&T and back home in a day and not have to worry about charging (the furthest out-back run would be about 250 km so just about do-able!) (iii) Average speeds are painfully slow (about 30 km/h with lots of start-stop and traffic, which the EV laps up!) (iv) Electricity is only 4.5p/kWh so I my energy cost is working out to be 1p/mile (v) the included 2.2kW (10A) charger is perfectly adequate for my normal driving habits so I will not be installing a 32A charger - installation cost to put a UK socket in place: £25.

In other words - this is a perfect market for EVs!! And even though our electricity comes from natural gas, driving an EV is fairly low carbon. So I am actively engaged in promoting EVs through my research as University Lecturer along with a small community of like-minded folks here. Unfortunately the government only currently incentivizes commercial EVs, so that is something for which we are lobbying.
Hi Graham, welcome to the ZS EV...its a great EV car hopefully you will enjoy your ownership - just one wee point - can we swap weather conditions plz :cool:

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on selecting the MG ZS EV which is a great EV; well in my opinion anyway 😄👍

Welcome to this ev community Graham! Enjoy the eZS it’s a great car!

Last edited:
Hi Phil,
Glad I spotted your post when I was going through the forum. Might certainly be calling on your expertise from time to time since only two of us have got the MG ZS EV here in Trinidad & Tobago. I'm sure any help we get will complement support from the dealer over in Barbados!
Graham
Was your dealer Megapower? I have added them to the dealer map. Please leave them feedback if they're the right ones.

Hi Stuart,
Yes - the dealer is Megapower.
They are doing a great job in Barbados and expanding gradually throughout the Caribbean.
Please describe your experience.
Is it normal to deal with other companies on the Caribbean islands and have large items shipped between them?

Hi there from Norway!

Name's Tim. I'm originally from the US, but moved to Norway in 1993 and don't regret it!

2of3 has been my "online presence" for many years. I'm a Trek fan, so the name is a nod to 7of9 (I'm 2'nd born of 3 siblings. Hence 2of3)

I never considered an EV until the ZS EV showed up. Had always considered an EV more of a luxury item or status symbol mostly because all I ever saw on the road was Teslas! Tesla is the perfect car for the Norwegian mentality; "look at me saving the environment.....and I have a lot of money". I can say that because I've become more Norwegian than anything else after 26 years.

The MG ZS EV is a game changer in Norway. Finally, there is a car out there that is affordable to the average person AND has a decent range! We've run into a bit of a challenge recently with the faulty BMS and coldgate updates, but a fix is already out there so that's good!

Hi there from Norway!

Name's Tim. I'm originally from the US, but moved to Norway in 1993 and don't regret it!

2of3 has been my "online presence" for many years. I'm a Trek fan, so the name is a nod to 7of9 (I'm 2'nd born of 3 siblings. Hence 2of3)

I never considered an EV until the ZS EV showed up. Had always considered an EV more of a luxury item or status symbol mostly because all I ever saw on the road was Teslas! Tesla is the perfect car for the Norwegian mentality; "look at me saving the environment.....and I have a lot of money". I can say that because I've become more Norwegian than anything else after 26 years.

The MG ZS EV is a game changer in Norway. Finally, there is a car out there that is affordable to the average person AND has a decent range! We've run into a bit of a challenge recently with the faulty BMS and coldgate updates, but a fix is already out there so that's good!
Enjoy the car, live long and prosper 🙌

Hi there from Norway!

yI'el 2of3

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom