• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Say Hello

I have been an EV owner for about 18 months.
We are on our 4th Zoe, we had 2 x the 22kW version and then upgraded to 2 x Z.E.40's.
One of Z.E. 40's, a 2017 R90 was a nightmare, after 12 weeks our local Renault dealership couldn't fix it and it was rejected back the dealership where I bought it. They refunded what I paid in full and fixed the car in one day.
Right now we have our 2019 Z.E.40 R110 which is great and a cheapo ICE as a stop gap until our MG ZS EV arrives.
I'm No.35 on the list of the 1st 1000.

John

Last edited:
I'm totally new to the EV scene but have been watching new EV car releases with interest and I'm a big fan of Tesla cars but the price is prohibitive for me.
I've recently placed my deposit with my local dealer, Kerridges of Needham Market but have yet to hear where on the list I am.
I read that the MG ZS EV does not have built in "smart charging", what is the best home charger that I can have installed that can provide the "smartness" that gives me capability to set % charge required as well as timing of charge and remote monitoring ?
Also, when can I apply for the grant for the home charger ? Do I need wait until I have a firm order for the car from the dealership ?
I should add that I have a 3kw solar array on my house, and a 9kw solar array on a workshop in my garden which has 3 phase electric.
Thanks

I'm totally new to the EV scene but have been watching new EV car releases with interest and I'm a big fan of Tesla cars but the price is prohibitive for me.
I've recently placed my deposit with my local dealer, Kerridges of Needham Market but have yet to hear where on the list I am.
I read that the MG ZS EV does not have built in "smart charging", what is the best home charger that I can have installed that can provide the "smartness" that gives me capability to set % charge required as well as timing of charge and remote monitoring ?
Also, when can I apply for the grant for the home charger ? Do I need wait until I have a firm order for the car from the dealership ?
I should add that I have a 3kw solar array on my house, and a 9kw solar array on a workshop in my garden which has 3 phase electric.
Thanks
Hi David,
If you are not in the 1st 1000 and don't qualify for the free charge point from MG I would suggest opting for the Myenergi Zappi with the Hub and app. You will qualify for the £500 OLEV grant and an installer can sort that out for you.
I don't know yet exactly which charge point MG are giving to the 1st 1000 but it has to be smart.

Hi David,
If you are not in the 1st 1000 and don't qualify for the free charge point from MG I would suggest opting for the Myenergi Zappi with the Hub and app. You will qualify for the £500 OLEV grant and an installer can sort that out for you.
I don't know yet exactly which charge point MG are giving to the 1st 1000 but it has to be smart.
What would the cost of that zappi set up be?

Hi all,

Been into EV's since 2007, built my own between 2008 and 2010 and updated it to lithium battery in 2013.

I've been following MG since they announced the e-motion and intend to get a deposit down for one the second the production version is available to get on the waiting list for! :) In the meantime I'm following the ZS EV and wishing it well.

Last edited:
Hello,

I've been following EV progress for a while, though the media and YouTube channels and already have a Solar array on the roof, so the next logical step would be an EV.

I'd not expected to purchase one for a couple more years, but the intro discount on the MG ZS EV has made me reconsider and the Gov grant won't last forever.

We owned a Hyundai SantaFe when the kids were little, being a full-size SUV that gave us loads of room. We changed this to a Kia Picanto three years ago so the "kids" could learn to drive in it, but it's not big enought for us really, so I'm thinking that something this size will work well for us, as the and save money in the longer term.

I've never purchased such an expensive vehicle before, so want to make sure I make the correct choice....

I went from an Audi A4 Avant estate to a Hyundai Ioniq EV in 2017 and it was the best decision I've made in my car owning life. Better, even, than buying my Lotus Elise.
I had chance to test drive it. This was important because I'm tall and have lower lumbar issues, so it was important to get a feel for the ride comfort as well as the electric aspect.
So I would recommend getting a test drive so you know what the car looks and feels like in the flesh.
In terms of finances, it's difficult to say what the residual value will be in a few years.
But if you get the right electricity tariff like Octopus, which is cheap at night, then running the car can be surprisingly inexpensive. (Can you install a charger at home? Get the Zappi to take advantage of your solar array.)
Discounted, the ZS EV is undoubtedly a bargain and if I were you, I'd travel for a test drive if your local dealership doesn't have one.
Low 20s grand is a lot of money, but if you're going to get an EV (and I would advocate strongly considering it), then the ZS EV looks like a great option for a lot of people.

Complete novice to EV but next Tues I have my test drive. After almost 50yrs driving manual petrol and diesel cars to tell the truth I'm quite nervous of one foot driving.
My current car is a kia rio, and was going down the Kia route with the nero but to expensive. So had test drove the rechargeable one. But since seeing this pending test drive I may go for one of these. Watch this space

One foot driving will take a little bit of getting used, too but soon becomes second nature.

I've only driven an EVs for a couple of hours, and when pulling away, my hand still goes to change into 2nd!

I did manage to press the brake with my left foot when stopping once, thinking I needed to press a clutch.

All good fun though.

This is similar to switching to any automatic car from a manual, though.
You very soon get used to having a redundant left foot.
And on some EVs, there isn't even a 'faux' gear stick. The Hyundai Ioniq has buttons for P, D, R and N.
I think the strangest thing for me was the regenerative braking and how the foot brake feels. In the Ioniq at least, you have to press the brake harder.
I wonder how it is in the ZS.

Hello all
ordered a red exclusive test drive 2 set for Friday morning then date for delivery is sometime in November 2020? ?
currently have a Lexus Rx350 and CT200 the RX will be going to make room for the MG

Hello all
ordered a red exclusive test drive 2 set for Friday morning then date for delivery is sometime in November 2020? ?
currently have a Lexus Rx350 and CT200 the RX will be going to make room for the MG
That's one thing about the MGs. People will get them before any Hyundai or Kia by a mile.
Welcome.

Hi, I am new to EVs, I saw the MG and liked it so went for a test drive and ordered one on 8/10/19. was told that it should come around mid February. I have ordered an Exclusive in Pimlico Blue and really can’t wait. I currently have a Qashqai automatic diesel.

i looked for a forum so I could chat to other people waiting for theirs and find out any news in the meantime.

Hi, I am new to EVs, I saw the MG and liked it so went for a test drive and ordered one on 8/10/19. was told that it should come around mid February. I have ordered an Exclusive in Pimlico Blue and really can’t wait. I currently have a Qashqai automatic diesel.

i looked for a forum so I could chat to other people waiting for theirs and find out any news in the meantime.
Welcome Tracy. February probably feels like a while away. The up side is that you have plenty of time to organise a home charger.

Welcome Tracy. February probably feels like a while away. The up side is that you have plenty of time to organise a home charger.
It does. I’m not the most patient person but I really want this car as it ticks all the boxes for me. I will sort a home charger soon and change my tariff. I am with EDF and I like the look of theirs, after 9pm and all weekend means I can take advantage for other things that use electricity like laundry and dishwasher.

It does. I’m not the most patient person but I really want this car as it ticks all the boxes for me. I will sort a home charger soon and change my tariff. I am with EDF and I like the look of theirs, after 9pm and all weekend means I can take advantage for other things that use electricity like laundry and dishwasher.
Check the maths of it carefully. Their daily standing charge is so high that Bulb or Octopus on economy 7 might be cheaper.

Check the maths of it carefully. Their daily standing charge is so high that Bulb or Octopus on economy 7 might be cheaper.

I currently pay 21.7p a day standing charge and I think it goes up to (from) 27.13p a day and my unit rate is 15.2p a unit flat rate which would switch to (from) 15.98p a unit and then Monday to Friday 9pm to 7am, and all weekend at 8p a unit.

I think I could charge the car as much as I will need and actually still cut my bills significantly by shifting the way I use things to after 9 or at weekends. This would work well for me. Also, if there is still a smart charge issue that I am reading about, 9 pm isn’t too late to put it on, or charge at the weekend at any time to get the lower rate.

They also have a charger installation deal with an EO Mini Pro for £299, a £300 discount on top of the OLEV grant.

i am not sure I could switch away from EDF at the moment as I just moved here in July but this seems like a tariff and offer that I can take advantage off to get me started and then review later if I need to. They might even let me switch now which would be good. ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom