Say Hello

Hi all. Having a test drive of the MG4 on 1st October, will be my first experience of an MG so interested to see how it stacks up against the other EVs I've tried.

It certainly seems value for money - as nice as the Tesla M3, Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5 were, anywhere between £45-50k is serious money and difficult to justify. None of them "felt" like a £50k car, so as long as the MG4 is decent enough for the price, it could be my first EV.

I have ordered a MG4 in red color one with trailer hitch to tow my poletta caravan.

Attachments

• IMG_20220910_185955.jpg
    IMG_20220910_185955.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 84
Hi, I used to live in the UK for 10 years, but returned to boring Perth, Australia in 2005.
Massive EV fan, and even started my own crappy YouTube channel:

I imported a 2016 Nissan Leaf (Aero/Autech) from Japan for $20k AUD.

The master plan (muhahahah!):
  • import 30kwh Leaf (tick! April 2022)
  • sell Leaf for $25k in 2023 and buy a new MG4 (about $40k?)
  • sell MG4 for $? in 2025/2026 to help pay for the Tesla Cybertruck I've had on pre-order for 3 zillion years now
  • crush everyone driving an ICE with my Cybertruck and do my bit to save the environment :)

Hi all. Having a test drive of the MG4 on 1st October, will be my first experience of an MG so interested to see how it stacks up against the other EVs I've tried.

It certainly seems value for money - as nice as the Tesla M3, Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5 were, anywhere between £45-50k is serious money and difficult to justify. None of them "felt" like a £50k car, so as long as the MG4 is decent enough for the price, it could be my first EV.
And... how did the test drive go? Is the Trophy worth the extra money?

And... how did the test drive go? Is the Trophy worth the extra money?
It went well, I actually had the test drive a week earlier because the demo car was available. I ordered the same day.

For me, the Trophy was worth the extra. In the UK that trim level brings heated seats, heated steering wheel, 360 cameras, blind spot warning, electric drivers seat, wireless phone charging and probably some other bits I've forgotten about. Cosmetically, I thought that the rear looked slightly better with the Trophy's spoilers, although that's obviously subjective.

Quality wise, it's obviously got areas where you can see it's a budget car, but overall I found the quality to be pretty good. It drove well, felt solid and allows me to try an EV without taking out a second mortgage.

It went well, I actually had the test drive a week earlier because the demo car was available. I ordered the same day.

For me, the Trophy was worth the extra. In the UK that trim level brings heated seats, heated steering wheel, 360 cameras, blind spot warning, electric drivers seat, wireless phone charging and probably some other bits I've forgotten about. Cosmetically, I thought that the rear looked slightly better with the Trophy's spoilers, although that's obviously subjective.

Quality wise, it's obviously got areas where you can see it's a budget car, but overall I found the quality to be pretty good. It drove well, felt solid and allows me to try an EV without taking out a second mortgage.
Excellent!
Although the spoilers reduce range... it's worth it :) They look much better.
Personally, I want the Orange, and that only comes in Trophy.
I don't need the heated seat or steering wheel (being in Australia), but my Leaf has the birds eye camera view and I really like that.
What's the camera resolution like? I saw the Fully Charged updated MG5 review and the camera's weren't great.

Hi.

Picked up our MG4 Trophy LR 2 days ago, (Ordered 4 weeks ago)

This is our 9th EV since 2015 (Change car every year due to doing 45 to 50k miles a year

Went from
2015 BMW ie3 Rex
2016 BMW i3 BEV
2017 Renualt Zoe 41kw
2018 Hyundai Kona 64kw
2019 Hyundai Kona 64kw
2020 Tesla Model 3 SR
2021 Hyundai Kona 64kw
2022 Kia EV6 Air 77Kw
NOW - MG4 Trophy Volcano Orange

So far very happy with it, coming from the EV6 it feels narrow but the quality of build and the ride seem just as good as the EV6

Bit of a tinkerer so will be making some mods, 1st will be ambient lighting as I like a bit of light in the cabin at night.

The car will also be our extension to our home power and when we are home is plugged into the house to run the electrics (Our EV6 did this before for the last year and was great at it).

Looking forward to picking brains on here for ideas as well.

Normally find me around the SpeakEV forums and AVForums

And my Wife Vicky posts on the facebook groups EV owners groups as I dont use facebook.

Excellent!
Although the spoilers reduce range... it's worth it :) They look much better.
Personally, I want the Orange, and that only comes in Trophy.
I don't need the heated seat or steering wheel (being in Australia), but my Leaf has the birds eye camera view and I really like that.
What's the camera resolution like? I saw the Fully Charged updated MG5 review and the camera's weren't great.
I don't have the car yet (allegedly arriving in the next few weeks) so can't say about the camera quality, my test drive was in an SE although they did have a Trophy in the showroom that I was able to sit in.

My wife's car is a VW Tiguan which has been criticized for the quality of it's reversing camera, but we find it perfectly adequate. As long as the MG4 cameras aren't dreadful, they'll be good enough for parking and checking blind spots.

Welcome @Stageshoot - can you please give your opinion on the quality of the 360 cameras?

Hi, I would say about the same as the leaf. Usable but not as crisp as some. For what it does its fine

When turning a corner at slow speed the camera comes on for that side, but then freezes and goes off at 5mph, pity they should let it stay on longer like a proper turn camera on the EV6 and Ioniq5 and Tesla. Hopefully in a software update they will change that.

Hi.

Picked up our MG4 Trophy LR 2 days ago, (Ordered 4 weeks ago)

This is our 9th EV since 2015 (Change car every year due to doing 45 to 50k miles a year

Went from
2015 BMW ie3 Rex
2016 BMW i3 BEV
2017 Renualt Zoe 41kw
2018 Hyundai Kona 64kw
2019 Hyundai Kona 64kw
2020 Tesla Model 3 SR
2021 Hyundai Kona 64kw
2022 Kia EV6 Air 77Kw
NOW - MG4 Trophy Volcano Orange

So far very happy with it, coming from the EV6 it feels narrow but the quality of build and the ride seem just as good as the EV6

Bit of a tinkerer so will be making some mods, 1st will be ambient lighting as I like a bit of light in the cabin at night.

The car will also be our extension to our home power and when we are home is plugged into the house to run the electrics (Our EV6 did this before for the last year and was great at it).

Looking forward to picking brains on here for ideas as well.

Normally find me around the SpeakEV forums and AVForums

And my Wife Vicky posts on the facebook groups EV owners groups as I dont use facebook.
I bow down to your dedication to EV's... and thank-you! I'm sure it can't have been easy (unless you are the owner/director of the company) to get to have an EV since 2015. You are a trailblazer, and honestly, without people like you around the world actually buying/using EV's since they came out, we wouldn't be getting the chance to drive any EV's today.

You should definitely start a YouTube channel of your experiences/opinions/mods. And if you don't, I'll have you on mine :)

I bow down to your dedication to EV's... and thank-you! I'm sure it can't have been easy (unless you are the owner/director of the company) to get to have an EV since 2015. You are a trailblazer, and honestly, without people like you around the world actually buying/using EV's since they came out, we wouldn't be getting the chance to drive any EV's today.

You should definitely start a YouTube channel of your experiences/opinions/mods. And if you don't, I'll have you on mine :)

Haha some said about YouTube yesterday and my wife reminded me I have a face for radio…

Being self employed and working in central LONDON an ev has been a no brainer with the congestion charge and free parking.

Haha some said about YouTube yesterday and my wife reminded me I have a face for radio…

Being self employed and working in central LONDON an ev has been a no brainer with the congestion charge and free parking.
Haha why do you think I don't show my face on my video's :)
Even on the BYD Atto Owner Interview I did my magic in Premiere Pro to ensure no-one got frightened by me :)

Hi all,

Ordered MG4 Trophy in white and expected delivery end of Feb.
First EV and looking forward to having a new car with warranty and good reviews.

Fortunate to be able to order through a work salary sacrifice scheme for an ‘all in’ decent price

Lots of good advice on here so thank you all for sharing your tips and guidance

Hi all,

Ordered MG4 Trophy in white and expected delivery end of Feb.
First EV and looking forward to having a new car with warranty and good reviews.

Fortunate to be able to order through a work salary sacrifice scheme for an ‘all in’ decent price

Lots of good advice on here so thank you all for sharing your tips and guidance
Welcome, did your firm already haveca salary sacrifice scheme up and running?

Welcome, did your firm already haveca salary sacrifice scheme up and running?
It’s only just come into play and offers the scheme for green cars. We have had a cycle scheme for years and seems almost identical.

A lot of research has made to go for the 4 due to reviews online

Hi! After nearly two years of driving a PHEV, of the 13k miles on the dial over 10k were in EV mode, so we decided to go and look at swapping to a BEV.

We walked in to the Kia/MG dealership in Ruislip, intending to just look at the eNiro (which I personally dislike the look of but decided to give it a fair run). And there it was — a seriously pretty MG car. “What is that?” “Oh, that’s the new shape new look facelift MG5, came in today. They’re great, although it’s a five month lead time”. My, we thought, it actually looks really good, nice look and feel, and hey it seems to have every possible option known to man. Loads of space (even in the back), 270-325 mile range from a 62kWh battery (city driving in the summer, maybe 200 motorway in the cold!), pretty 17” alloys, solid roof rails, decent sized boot and can even tow a small trailer if needed. Impressive!

“If only you had one we could test drive”, quoth I. “Ahh, but we do!” And so we got in and drove off and we were both really impressed. A “sports saloon” it isn’t, but damn it can go fast if it wants to! The adaptive cruise is fantastic, the navigation system and on board electronics were just great, the seats were comfortable, and the wife loved it too.

The icing on the cake? I said to my wife, “if in part exchange they offer us the same money that we paid for the outlander nearly two years ago, we’ll take it, ok?”. Not as outrageous as it sounds (six months ago we were offered £3k more than we paid!) but webuyanycar were offering £1k less than we had paid, so we figured we want our PHEV money back and that’s our bottom line, not a penny less. Well, we got back from the test drive and asked them to value our part exchange…and they offered bang on what we had paid.

And so, dear reader, we bought it. I got them to throw in some floor mats (so we’re actually tuning a profit on the Outlander). “What colour would you like?”. “Silver please”. “Oh, it seems we have one coming in two weeks time”. Cool, it looks like we bought ourselves a Christmas present…

Hi all,
Test drove MG4 Trophy on 21st Oct, ordered one on 24th October, Camden Grey possibly due end of January 23.
Currently own ZS EV MK1 which will be traded in.
Been an MG fan for a long time, still own a 1973 MGB GT V8 and my wife owns a 2002 MGTF 160.
Looking forward to 2023 and the new MG4.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom