Scheduled charging using the app - does it work for you?

suz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
hello!

Just wondering whether others have good experiences scheduling their charging start time using the app?

I’ve tried to do it twice and both times have gotten up in the morning to an uncharged car! Obviously the app is…well…crap…🤣 but I’d love for this to work.

It doesn’t give me any sort of error message or start the charging immediately, it just doesn’t charge at all! I then have to perform a series of seemingly random activities to make it start charging again (resetting it in the app, logging out of the app, mess about with various settings, dance under the light of a full moon etc)

Is it just me??

I’ve set my ZS LR Trophy using the app, it worked fine. I think there may be a delay in it altering the schedule in the car due to it being a remote server.
Might be an idea to set times via the app, and check the car once the app has confirmed.

I am with @Gadget Geek on this one, I prefer to make the settings via the head unit in the car TBH.
I once did make a change once via the App and it reported it as successful, but I later realised it had not obeyed the command and therefore failed ?.
On other occasions it has worked 100% just fine.
Others owners have reported sending a commanded ( like to preheat the car ) and it has reported a fail, but in fact it is working !.
Yeah - It does have its moments now and again alright.
So If possible, that’s why I tend to favour using the head unit.
Appears to be a little more stable and reliable.

I use the car unit too. its lot more reliable. One thing to note though. I've had to turn it off at public chargers outside the 'schedule' hours and turn it back on after charging. Else the car wouldn't accept the charge.

I use the car unit too. its lot more reliable. One thing to note though. I've had to turn it off at public chargers outside the 'schedule' hours and turn it back on after charging. Else the car wouldn't accept the charge.
This is a great “Top Tip” especially if you are a regular scheduled off peak charger person.
Our schedule charging is always turned on !.

Yep it works for me via the App, just set the time with in the Home charger Times. Click set and enter pin code . It will say successfully set and ready .
First couple of times I set it , I waited up to check it kicked in, but seems fine on its own now .
Happy so far.... hope you sort it out..

If you are at a public charger with scheduled charging turned on, all you have to do is press the "Start Charging" button on the screen. :)

😩😩😩

Yesterday I set up charging using the unit in the car, and checked on my app during the night and it wasn’t charging (it didn’t show that it was charging, the app was saying to put the charging cable in and the battery % was the same as when I left it outside)

I tried to override it all and get it to charge via the app and no luck there either.

It’s morning now so I will go and commence the ever changing and random series of activities to make it charge again…

Hi Suz, yes it's a thing. I have a charger with out a lead and some times when I plug in the small light on the charger flashes or goes Red. I have found if you pull the plug out, wait for a little click then reply it in, it's Happy ang the light shows steady Green. Then plug the car in second. That seems to work for me . Then the charger App reads "Schedule Charging Ready"
Hope that helps a little....

May I know if there is a good reason to choose MG app over the charger app for scheduling. We have a podpoint charger at home and never experienced issues with schedules set in podpoint app.

May I know if there is a good reason to choose MG app over the charger app for scheduling. We have a podpoint charger at home and never experienced issues with schedules set in podpoint app.
Well I thought you had too set up both in conjunction with each other?
My Hive charger is set midnight to 5am and the ismart App 00.05 to 4.55am and this seems to work fine for me. The charger is ready and the car App does the switching on & off.
Hope that helps..

I have ZS EV MK1 where there are no controls in car to schedule charging. The car is always ready to accept charge. Is this not possible with MK2?

I have ZS EV MK1 where there are no controls in car to schedule charging. The car is always ready to accept charge. Is this not possible with MK2?
O OK, I have a MG4 SE and use the App . Sounds like a just plug in always ready is an easier way to me , sometimes they make things over complicated 🙃

I think all the cars are ‘always ready’ to receive a charge, unless you have scheduled charging set up via a smart charger or directly from the car/app. The newer cars have the benefit of being able to schedule charging during off peak hours which is more convenient than plugging in during the night.

I think all the cars are ‘always ready’ to receive a charge, unless you have scheduled charging set up via a smart charger or directly from the car/app. The newer cars have the benefit of being able to schedule charging during off peak hours which is more convenient than plugging in during the night.
O cool , makes sense cheers comment. When you say newer cars, is the MG4 72 PLATE in that category?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom