GreenZebra

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi I have just bought a used Zs 2019 model and wondered is it possible with the factory provided MG 3-pin granny charger to schedule the car to charge at certain times? Whether through there iSmart app or within the car? Or do I need to buy a cable that has this function included?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I have just bought a used Zs 2019 model and wondered is it possible with the factory provided MG 3-pin granny charger to schedule the car to charge at certain times? Whether through there iSmart app or within the car? Or do I need to buy a cable that what has this function included?
If you have an overnight tariff then it works better wilth a 7kW EVSE.
Check out the Ohme or Zappi.

Hi I have just bought a used Zs 2019 model and wondered is it possible with the factory provided MG 3-pin granny charger to schedule the car to charge at certain times? Whether through there iSmart app or within the car? Or do I need to buy a cable that what has this function included?
None of those apply to the gen 1 & granny charger.
Use a wall socket timer, eg:

Or do I need to buy a cable that has this function included?
There is disagreement on this forum about the damage that may or may not occur from mechanically switching the AC input to the car, e.g. by using an AC timer.

I maintain that disconnecting an inductive load like the on-board charger under load (when charging) produces inductive kick-back that is dangerous to the switch or relay contacts and far more importantly to the expensive on-board charger. This damage may take a year to result in failure.

I've seen the arc that results from unplugging a charger under load. This was an EV conversion, not a production EV, but I believe that the same thing applies.

Others maintain that there is no damage.

There is disagreement on this forum about the damage that may or may not occur from mechanically switching the AC input to the car, e.g. by using an AC timer.

I maintain that disconnecting an inductive load like the on-board charger under load (when charging) produces inductive kick-back that is dangerous to the switch or relay contacts and far more importantly to the expensive on-board charger. This damage may take a year to result in failure.

I've seen the arc that results from unplugging a charger under load. This was an EV conversion, not a production EV, but I believe that the same thing applies.

Others maintain that there is no damage.
Well put. The pilot signal is there for a reason.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom