SE SR Infotainment Software Updates

502BBC

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hello fellow poverty spec owners, I am quite confused about this software talk, currently on R13 which is what the car was delivered and didn't bother to go back to MG dealer for an update since it appears that every update brings new bugs.

My question is what is the latest infotainment software as of today and what are the known issues with it? I read somewhere R26 is out for SE owners but no clue if it is a reliable platform. I only have couple minor issues like driving modes resetting everytime along with safety settings just to name one, again this is a minor inconvenience for me.

Hello fellow poverty spec owners, I am quite confused about this software talk, currently on R13 which is what the car was delivered and didn't bother to go back to MG dealer for an update since it appears that every update brings new bugs.

My question is what is the latest infotainment software as of today and what are the known issues with it? I read somewhere R26 is out for SE owners but no clue if it is a reliable platform. I only have couple minor issues like driving modes resetting everytime along with safety settings just to name one, again this is a minor inconvenience for me.
I heard about an R29 on one of the threads but not heard that mentioned much yet.

Bear in mind this is only the infotainment console, there are dozens of updates for various car modules and thinks like the safety systems are controlled there, not by the infotainment.

I heard about an R29 on one of the threads but not heard that mentioned much yet.

Bear in mind this is only the infotainment console, there are dozens of updates for various car modules and thinks like the safety systems are controlled there, not by the infotainment.
I mentioned that our Trophy is on R29 so that could be where you heard it. It's been on that since we got it in October last year. I don't know whether there's an R29 on an SE.

You will take my S13 from my cold dead hands until you can guarantee me that the replacement version does not delete the outside temperature reading.
That can be arranged...;)

...although it might take sometime for MG to get the software sorted

Last edited:
You will take my S13 from my cold dead hands until you can guarantee me that the replacement version does not delete the outside temperature reading.

I don't think the outside temp reading is removed on purpose, sounds like another bug. Perhaps sooner or later a newer SW version will re-introduce it as exterior temp reading is a necessity for me. Till then I will hold on the updates.

Also is the one-pedal driving a thing for Phase-1 SE owners? Stop and go traffic is quite inefficient without OPD. I'm hoping they can update to OPD and keep the infotainment at R13, I would be plenty satisfied.

What I've never quite understood is why the Temp is not displayed on the drivers info binnacle .
If you're using android auto it disappears anyway regardless of the software version which seems kinda silly to me .

I don't think the outside temp reading is removed on purpose, sounds like another bug. Perhaps sooner or later a newer SW version will re-introduce it as exterior temp reading is a necessity for me. Till then I will hold on the updates.

Miles on here, who is a very helpful dealer has already informed us quite a while ago that MG’s claim is that the temperature readout in the SE was never supposed to be there and was producing random numbers, as apparently the hardware wasn’t present.

Extremely odd then that those random numbers just happen to be exactly what the outside temperature is! Either MG software engineers are wizards (given the amount of bugs I find this incredibly unlikely), or MG themselves have fed their dealers complete and utter nonsense. I’ll leave you to be the judge…

Miles on here, who is a very helpful dealer has already informed us quite a while ago that MG’s claim is that the temperature readout in the SE was never supposed to be there and was producing random numbers, as apparently the hardware wasn’t present.

Extremely odd then that those random numbers just happen to be exactly what the outside temperature is! Either MG software engineers are wizards (given the amount of bugs I find this incredibly unlikely), or MG themselves have fed their dealers complete and utter nonsense. I’ll leave you to be the judge…

The hardware is there here a picture of the sensor. Also it tells you in the app internal and external

Attachments

• IMG_5711.jpeg
    IMG_5711.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 100
Miles confirmed on the last podcast that this was NOT MG's official claim, merely that he had heard this from one MG engineer, so we don't know if this is official policy or not.

It is a bit strange because you'd think there would be air temperature sensors on the car for other purposes that can be used for this.
Again, this is NOT MG's official line. It could still just be a bug.

Miles confirmed on the last podcast that this was NOT MG's official claim, merely that he had heard this from one MG engineer, so we don't know if this is official policy or not.

It is a bit strange because you'd think there would be air temperature sensors on the car for other purposes that can be used for this.

Ahh…so a new podcast cleared that up then, thank you.

Wonder was the ‘engineer’ trying to pull a fast one then because of the software issues. Either way, hopefully they get it sorted as it’s surely a simple fix to have it display on screen.

There has been a rumour of a new SE update with the external temperature display restored, but I've not seen confirmation.

Of course it's a bug. I doubt if there has been a car sold in the past ten or more years without that reading. Even silly wee 950cc petrol runabouts have it. The MG4 has some amazing features, no way would they leave this off on purpose. It's arguably a safety issue in very cold weather. Also kind of handy when it comes to deciding whether to pre-heat the battery before charging. They just need to say oops and fix it, not come out with arse-covering bollocks that's obviously wrong.

It should be on the driver's screen of course, and it's a nuisance that you can't see it when using Android Auto, but it's easy enough to go back to the home screen for a minute if you need to check it. It's OK as it is, they just need to fix that R16 bug.

That would be nice.

I don't think it's strange at all. Other than that it's strange such an idiotic bug could find its way into the software at the R16 stage in the first place, and that they don't seem to have fixed it yet.

I do think that anyone who accepts without question any assertion that MG deliberately decided to deny SE owners such a very basic item of driver information, and moreover that when they discovered that this had been provided "by mistake" their immediate priority was to remove it, is not thinking.

There has been a rumour of a new SE update with the external temperature display restored, but I've not seen confirmation.

Of course it's a bug. I doubt if there has been a car sold in the past ten or more years without that reading. Even silly wee 950cc petrol runabouts have it. The MG4 has some amazing features, no way would they leave this off on purpose. It's arguably a safety issue in very cold weather. Also kind of handy when it comes to deciding whether to pre-heat the battery before charging. They just need to say oops and fix it, not come out with arse-covering bollocks that's obviously wrong.

It should be on the driver's screen of course, and it's a nuisance that you can't see it when using Android Auto, but it's easy enough to go back to the home screen for a minute if you need to check it. It's OK as it is, they just need to fix that R16 bug.
I have just had my first service and they did the update that removes the external temperature from the display, driving home tonight it flashed up a warning of potential icy roads 🤔 how did it know 🤷‍♀️ I did ask if there was a fix for the usb music issue, they said there technician had checked and it was working fine and that I should not use the usb C Rh con as this is for charging only and will not work!!! Unfortunately at this point my wife dragged me away as she had seen me take a breath. I did see the sales guy who originally sold the car to me and took him outside to show him the issue of which he had no idea about. As far as the rest of the service they checked the tyres and the coolant didn't mention the SW updates and that's about it.

I have just had my first service and they did the update that removes the external temperature from the display, driving home tonight it flashed up a warning of potential icy roads 🤔 how did it know 🤷‍♀️ I did ask if there was a fix for the usb music issue, they said there technician had checked and it was working fine and that I should not use the usb C Rh con as this is for charging only and will not work!!! Unfortunately at this point my wife dragged me away as she had seen me take a breath. I did see the sales guy who originally sold the car to me and took him outside to show him the issue of which he had no idea about. As far as the rest of the service they checked the tyres and the coolant didn't mention the SW updates and that's about it.
What dealer is this? I better stay clear

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 522 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel