SE was bricked today

Our SE was bricked today 🤯 now stuck on a ramp with no way in
Was the dealer carrying out a software update at the time by any chance ?.
If so, where they trying to carry out the update, while sitting in the car ?.
This has been identified as a reason for bricking the car.

Didn't the mechanical key work?

A different issue but my infotainment screen didn't work today although the main console did. Getting out and switching off didn't help so I drove for a bit and then after a brief stop it worked again. Perhaps it needed longer the first time to discharge all the capacitors etc.?

Edit: for Taq.

Was the dealer carrying out a software update at the time by any chance ?.
If so, where they trying to carry out the update, while sitting in the car ?.
This has been identified as a reason for bricking the car.
Yep the one in AA/22/TB053 apparently first part went on ok the 2nd bombed 1/2 thru, no idea we werent there but with it been on the ramp youd think not but who knows, I thought not doing the update whilst sat in the car had been established already (maybe they didn’t get the memo).

Our SE was bricked today 🤯 now stuck on a ramp with no way to move it.
Nightmare. Hope they get you up and running soon. If they are doing software update make sure not sitting in the drivers seat, that was what they found bricked mine.

Last edited:
Didn't the mechanical key work?

A different issue but my infotainment screen didn't work today although the main console did. Getting out and switching off didn't help so I drove for a bit and then after a brief stop it worked again. Perhaps it needed longer the first time to discharge all the capacitors etc.?

Edit: for Taq.
Apparently if you press the physical home button at the bottom of the screen for 10 seconds (I think) it reboots it.

What is the fix if it is bricked?
I can’t remember what they said they’d done in the end to get it working. I know they disconnected the 12 v overnight, that didn’t work, then the high voltage disconnected over the weekend and that didn’t work. I’ll ask on Monday.

Which Dealer @Goldie007
I'm from Wakefield and have visited both Wakefield MG and Barnsley MG
Both run by Cars 2
Only viewed MG4 at Barnsley so cant really comment.
I think @Taq had experience with both Leeds and Barnsley for his 2 cars

MG Wakefield looked after my previous ZS EV and were ok to be fair to them.
Any issues were sorted no problem
Software updates took a couple of goes though.
Luscombes Leeds have a great reputation as does Chorley
I bought my MG4 from Charles Warner Lincoln as they had one in Stock and they have been great so far.
Good comms as mine has the oil leak, but they're keeping in good contact with me pretty much daily.
We bought our old ZS EV from Cars 2 Wakefield and had a few services done there. We were sent there with the MG4 by Barnsley to get the software updated as Barnsley couldn’t do it and they’ve bricked it but that may just be bad software/instructions for all we know.

We have had 2 EVs from Burnley but it’s a long trek when having warranty issues sorted, but in both cases the cars have been delivered quickly.

And 1 EV from Luscombes Leeds

Barnsley Cars2 sorted the oil leak on the SE for us and the sales staff alway chat when we’re there but never purchased from them.

The only disappointing thing we can say about any of them (all similar in this regard) has been their reluctance to offer replacement vehicles whilst issues are sorted. But in general all their staff have been helpful and friendly with us.

Wakefield don’t know when will get car back and again we had no offer of courtesy replacement.

In general wrt delivery of the MG4 both were a bit sketchy about exact dates but guessing that could be down to MG or the shipping companies.

Last edited:
I can’t remember what they said they’d done in the end to get it working. I know they disconnected the 12 v overnight, that didn’t work, then the high voltage disconnected over the weekend and that didn’t work. I’ll ask on Monday.
Hi Crawfyp, I'm waiting to collect my new MG4, they said they done some updates and it's now not going into drive, sounds like it's bricked. The master technician is waiting on feedback from MG. Did you ever find out what they done to recover yours?

Not the best of starts you don't even have your car yet, already of the road

Hi Crawfyp, I'm waiting to collect my new MG4, they said they done some updates and it's now not going into drive, sounds like it's bricked. The master technician is waiting on feedback from MG. Did you ever find out what they done to recover yours?
I know that sitting in the drivers seat when doing the update was a problem. They we’re told to ensure update was done with no one in the drivers seat.

I know that sitting in the drivers seat when doing the update was a problem. They we’re told to ensure update was done with no one in the drivers seat.
Out of curiosity did they say why this was an issue? Shy software? needs its privacy :D I'm guessing something to do with a weight sensor or motion sensor?

The driver's seat has the sensor to enable Ready mode when you press the brake. Maybe that activation is interfering with the system and so interrupting any firmware update, thus "bricking" it?

I just picked my SE on saturday. Could someone please explain what is this update and how I can check if mine needs it or already has it. Thanks

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back