Seat Belt Buckle Extender

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Has anyone tried one of these?:

Extender

My wife has a lot of difficulty finding the seat belt buckle as she has the seat a fair way back and the buckle is then tucked away down the side of the centre console. I've just ordered one to see if it'll bring the buckle into her reach. I'll let you know if it's any good (y)

Extender

My wife has a lot of difficulty finding the seat belt buckle as she has the seat a fair way back and the buckle is then tucked away down the side of the centre console. I've just ordered one to see if it'll bring the buckle into her reach. I'll let you know if it's any good (y)
Just be careful what you buy. Her life might literally depend on the quality of it. I've posted before that there is a British Standard and this is one time when a cheap import might not be wise.

Just be careful what you buy. Her life might literally depend on the quality of it. I've posted before that there is a British Standard and this is one time when a cheap import might not be wise.
I'll be certainly examining it very closely before using it. I'll not be necessarily believing any claimed material and safety standards that come with it.
I'm actually ordering two, one of which is going to be thoroughly tested by an ex colleague who just so happens to be a metallurgist 🙂👍

My only experience of onbuy is some counterfeit lightning charger leads. They refused to share my reviews stating this, despite proof, and then contested my review of them on a review website (arguing I didn't purchase anything, even though they knew full well I had).
I certainly wouldn't trust them with anything like this.

Hmmm. Tried to find out if seatbelt extenders were legal in the UK. All I could find was this but it doesn't reference any law.

The only time it is safe to use a seat belt extender in a car is when both of the following criteria are met:
1.The person using the extender is an obese teenager or adult whose body size is such that the seat belt can not be buckled without the use of an extender.
2. The extender is obtained directly from the vehicle manufacturer (not from Amazon, eBay, Walmart, AliExpress or other stores/websites).

Perhaps something like this would be safer
https://amzn.eu/d/g6bgT6k

After reading up on the law regarding seat belt extenders, especially that part that mentions they are only legal for obese passengers (my wife would not be best pleased if I showed her that part!), I've decided to bin it as soon as it arrives, as it does seem to be a grey area.
No reputable seatbelt manufacturers that I have found offer a buckle mounted extender, only lengths of belts as per this:

05E8BF20-4675-4D7F-A50B-4F27665444A6-300x300.jpeg

which isn't practical for me. My wife will just have to develop muscle memory to find the buckle each time!
@Ian Key I don't think that item would help my particular issue, as the problem is not the buckle falling down out of reach, rather that it is rather awkwardly positioned in the narrow gap between the side of the seat and the centre console when the seat is positioned far back. They'd be useful in the back though.

Extender

Yes they are brilliant, got them online, made in China so fit a treat

Extender

Friend bought some cheap ones and 2 of them wouldn't even stay latched, certianlly wouldn't trust them in an accident.

on the same vain .... I have a mg5 and if any "old" people are in the back they can never fasten the seatbelts as the lock which is bolted to the floor is on a webbing type material and is very difficult to hold and connect..... any one else experienced this ?
and is it possible to swap out webbing type connector for normal stiff one ( I know that doesn't sound right lol)

Don’t think it matters how well made they are, they will not have been properly tested and you’re taking a huge risk using them, never mind the fact that your insurer may refuse to pay out in the unfortunate event that you suffer an injury in a collision whilst using one…

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back