Seat belt warning

louisecadby80

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
So I have an MG4 SE long range and every now and again when sat at traffic lights with the hand brake on the seatbelt warning light will come on as I try to pull away once the lights have gone green. This then prevents the car from moving and I get stuck with cars behind me. I then have to undo and redo the seatbelt for the car to then move. It's gone to the MG dealer today and they are pretty useless - video to say no warning light on so it's fine! Has anyone else had this issue? It does not happen all the time just every now and again.

I'm not quite sure how it works. I can drive the car out of the garage and into the driveway without fastening my seat belt. But one day I was in a hand car wash and unfastened my belt to reach over to the back seat for my handbag so I could pay. At that moment the guy doing the washing waved me forward to the next station, but when I tried to creep these few yards the car refused to budge and insisted I buckle up first.

Last edited:
My experience of cars previously is that they bong incessantly and warn you constantly but you should be able to drive normally without the seatbelt on (obviously only on private land).
Yeah I've not had one that'll prevent the drive, seems incredibly stupid. A seatbelt sensor malfunction will render the car undriveable.

Others have said this doesn't occur by using auto hold. But I like doing it manually and I think it's on MG to fix rather than me to change habits.

I drove head first into my parking space but stopped a yard short on auto hold , undid my seat belt to reach into the back for something. The car would not move forward again until I fastened the seat belt. I could feel the motor was urging the car to go but was being held back by a brake. I didn’t want to push the accelerator hard in case I lurched forward into my neighbour’s front door.

So update from the MG dealer - no faults found on checking the car. Suggested that it happens again we take it straight to the dealer! Or take a video! So no help what so ever!

Are you using Auto hold, that used to stop you moving with the seatbelt off on the old ZS.
If you are, turn it off as a temporary measure to let you drive away from the lights etc. But you still need to take it in to see why the seat belt warning is coming on.

No, not using auto hold, just the electronic hand break as I don't trust auto hold! It does not happen all the time just every now and again, which seems odd. My husband thought I was over reacting until it did it to him in traffic in London!

I was probably using auto-hold in the car park so that would explain my experience.

I remember that the seat belt warning in my Golf would eventually give up and go away. Eventually.

So update from the MG dealer - no faults found on checking the car. Suggested that it happens again we take it straight to the dealer! Or take a video! So no help what so ever!
Unfortunately every time this will ever happen it will be at a bad time with traffic behind us, so a video will probably never happen. :ROFLMAO:

I've had 5/6 times. Always at lights.

It happened to me for the first time today. Sitting at traffic lights, wouldn't move, repeatedly asking me to put my seat belt on. I tried putting it in and out but wouldn't move. I had to put my hazards on and get out of the car lock it/unlock and get back in and it worked. I will report it.

Mauns, you may not have to get out of the car. Try powering down from the info screen (car/safety) and then pressing the brake pedal to power up again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel