Seat Comfort?

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I have heard a few people talking about problems with MG4 seat comfort. Is this widespread? Please indicate if you have an SE or Trophy in your reply, so we can see if depends on the model.

When I test drove I wasn't sure what it would be like for a long journey. However, my current Skoda is uncomfortable anyway (too hard) and so it is a low bar for me.

Must be just me then.
I find the seat in my SE SR horrendously uncomfortable.
Could be me - size, weight etc.
I'm 5'9", 36 waist and around 15 stone, so bigger build, but not massive.
Never had an issue with any other car in the past.
For me it the seams where the stitching goes across the seat base and on the backrest sections.
Even with Jeans and a fleece on I can feel the Stitching like a ridge.
The sponge is very soft in the seats and the cloth is also soft and stretchy.
For me thought the stitched sections are stiffer and its like sitting on a seat that has piping across the middle.
The sponge and cloth obviously give when sitting on it, but the stitched sections do not.

I have felt this since about week 1-2 on the back section, but now the seat base is where the discomfort is more.
I can feel this before I get the end of my street.
The car has now done 900 miles, I will say I didn't notice the seat base issue until a week or two ago which would push me towards its beginning to bed in now.

But uncomfortable after 1000 miles shouldn't be a thing.
What's it going to be like after 10-20-50 thousand miles !!

I have rejected my car today anyway due to the oil leak and other issues, but the seat comfort was the final straw for me this morning.

I’m finding the seats really comfortable in my Trophy. I like the lateral support and they feel just the right softness for me. Getting in and out of them is a little harder than I would like but that’s down to the wide sill and my advancing years plus bad back!

Must be just me then.
I find the seat in my SE SR horrendously uncomfortable.
Could be me - size, weight etc.
I'm 5'9", 36 waist and around 15 stone, so bigger build, but not massive.
Never had an issue with any other car in the past.
For me it the seams where the stitching goes across the seat base and on the backrest sections.
Even with Jeans and a fleece on I can feel the Stitching like a ridge.
The sponge is very soft in the seats and the cloth is also soft and stretchy.
For me thought the stitched sections are stiffer and its like sitting on a seat that has piping across the middle.
The sponge and cloth obviously give when sitting on it, but the stitched sections do not.

I have felt this since about week 1-2 on the back section, but now the seat base is where the discomfort is more.
I can feel this before I get the end of my street.
The car has now done 900 miles, I will say I didn't notice the seat base issue until a week or two ago which would push me towards its beginning to bed in now.

But uncomfortable after 1000 miles shouldn't be a thing.
What's it going to be like after 10-20-50 thousand miles !!

I have rejected my car today anyway due to the oil leak and other issues, but the seat comfort was the final straw for me this morning.
Thanks Jester27, it is very helpful to have a detailed description of the problems you have had and I appreciate it.

(SE) I was concerned on my first test drive: not really for any of the reasons others have mentioned. I felt the seats, which are quite narrow, were possibly pushing my shoulders forwards. As a result I booked in another drive - and felt it was all good.
I've generally had cars with reasonably good if not luxurious seats. Hopefully these will be good enough, if not I'll explore options to add more cushioning.

Last edited:
Hi SE SR is what my wife’s car is and the seats are fine for her she has the drivers seat as high as it will go as she is not that tall any lower she’s is not able to see over the dash or the front at all, the comfort of it is just about about ok she thinks.

One thing we both find is once your sat in the front seats getting the seat belt buckle into the receiver is not easy in the front and can be very difficult in the rear seats, but she says the rear seats are fine for sitting on I have not sat there as yet but I do know the seat belts in the rear on the MG5 are much the same poor and difficult to get on.
the front seats in my view in the 4 are a bit hard.
my MG5 are much better than the 4, i have driven the 5 for many hours and many miles and I got out at the end of very long trips without any problems very comfortable they are.
I test drove a MG4 SE and a Trophy on the same afternoon and to be honest did not find the seats in either any different really,
I’m not convinced on longer journeys they will be anywhere near the comfort of my 5 another reason for that I think is because the suspension is harder in the MG4 and I personally prefer the softer ride of the 5 on the motorways, but for the shorter runs and day to day buzzing around the 4 is great as I said not as yet done any real distance in the MG4 time well tell.
Les

I find the seats in my Trophy very comfortable. The difference between many other cars is that you sit "in" the seat of an MG4, not "on" them like many other cars with hard seats. The first layer of sponge gives nicely to mould to your body, the harder sponge underneath then supports. The side supports are good, took me a little while to get used to seat sides wrapping around me more than my previous car. I have also found the lumbar support to be more than adequate for me, that's coming from an Ioniq with adjustable lumbar.

Hi SE SR is what my wife’s car is and the seats are fine for her she has the drivers seat as high as it will go as she is not that tall any lower she’s is not able to see over the dash or the front at all, the comfort of it is just about about ok she thinks.

One thing we both find is once your sat in the front seats getting the seat belt buckle into the receiver is not easy in the front and can be very difficult in the rear seats, but she says the rear seats are fine for sitting on I have not sat there as yet but I do know the seat belts in the rear on the MG5 are much the same poor and difficult to get on.
the front seats in my view in the 4 are a bit hard.
my MG5 are much better than the 4, i have driven the 5 for many hours and many miles and I got out at the end of very long trips without any problems very comfortable they are.
I test drove a MG4 SE and a Trophy on the same afternoon and to be honest did not find the seats in either any different really,
I’m not convinced on longer journeys they will be anywhere near the comfort of my 5 another reason for that I think is because the suspension is harder in the MG4 and I personally prefer the softer ride of the 5 on the motorways, but for the shorter runs and day to day buzzing around the 4 is great as I said not as yet done any real distance in the MG4 time well tell.
Les
Interesting that you find the MG4 seats hard and ride hard by comparison to the MG5. I found them much softer than my VAG seats in the Skoda and miles better ride. I know the MG5 is renowned for comfort and with the 4, MG have gone for a sportier feel, so I presume this is deliberate.

I find the seats in my Trophy very comfortable. The difference between many other cars is that you sit "in" the seat of an MG4, not "on" them like many other cars with hard seats. The first layer of sponge gives nicely to mould to your body, the harder sponge underneath then supports. The side supports are good, took me a little while to get used to seat sides wrapping around me more than my previous car. I have also found the lumbar support to be more than adequate for me, that's coming from an Ioniq with adjustable lumbar.
Thanks, that's good to know. The squishyness was a bit alarming on the test drive but glad to hear you have enough support beneath.

Does this imply that there is inconsistency in the quality of the seat foam?

I test drove a trophy and sat in an SE - both had very soft seat bases - the seat backs were ok, but the bases just squished to nothing.

How anyone could say that the seats are supportive or firm is beyond me - unless there isnt a consistent foam density and cars vary.

Does this imply that there is inconsistency in the quality of the seat foam?

I test drove a trophy and sat in an SE - both had very soft seat bases - the seat backs were ok, but the bases just squished to nothing.

How anyone could say that the seats are supportive or firm is beyond me - unless there isnt a consistent foam density and cars vary.
Well, that is partly why I asked - to establish if there are differences between models and experiences. I think it probably depends what you are used to, coming from VAG the MGs seat felt ridiculously soft but that doesn't mean they aren't comfortable, just something to adapt to.

During my brief spell in the MG4 Trophy I found the drivers seat ok. I was surprised at no lumbar support though and I would find this an issue on a long journey.

I always think it’s a really difficult thing to objectively judge, seat comfort.

Just like mattresses there’s a wide range of preference between firm and soft, and then with a seat you have the added complication of posture, height, weight and general body shape which all influences how “comfortable” a seat is.

As an example I’m 6”1 but I find my wife’s Zoe much more comfortable to drive than my A4!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back