Self propelled MG5LR

RogerWill

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Our now 2 week old car and 550 miles pulls away both forward and reverse a little with no foot on the throttle.
Is this intended as manufactured.

And if correct, does this mean that say queing at traffic lights on a hill or similar for more than 30 seconds, should the car be put in park mode.

I believe I read that parking" on the clutch" can overheat the motor.

Thank you
Roger

Is this intended as manufactured.
Yes
should the car be put in park mode.
No - as above put it in "neutral" (it's not actually out of gear, just the motor isn't powered) by using the handbrake, but not in P which activates the parking pawl on the final drive.
I read that parking" on the clutch" can overheat the motor.
This is a carryover belief from ICE automatic with torque converters and doesn't apply to EVs.

I recall reading that the creep was deliberately inserted into my previous (and maybe all) EV so that drivers of automatics feel at home.

I find when using the A button described above (which in old money is essentially applying the handbrake automatically) you sometimes need to give the footbrake an extra little bit of pressure at standstill to make it go on. But you can then take your foot off the brake and just drive off when you are ready - no need to manually take the handbrake off, it will automatically disengage. And no need to touch the "gear selector".

Yes

No - as above put it in "neutral" (it's not actually out of gear, just the motor isn't powered) by using the handbrake, but not in P which activates the parking pawl on the final drive.

This is a carryover belief from ICE automatic with torque converters and doesn't apply to EVs.
I didn't think there was a Parking pawl on the MG Evs. :unsure:

Thanks for replies, mostly answered, but can I clarify.
As soon as the car is in D or R the car motors forward at a few mph foot off the throttle.
It seems helpful of sorts, assume it is designed as such.
But it does not seem to be mentioned in the manual or on any review of the MG5.
If anyone can clarify this is a correct function.
Thank you
Roger

Your car is working as intended.
If you use either foot or parking brake the demand is reduced to zero so there's no chance of overheating.
Do you mean ie the car propelled itself a few mph once in D or R
Thanks

With manual transmission you have the option of putting the car in gear to resist rolling if the handbrake fails. With an automatic transmission there is no direct coupling with the engine if the engine is not running. If the handbrake fails the car will roll on a hill, therefore they have the backup of a mechanical lock on the drive shaft. I don't know how easy the MG5 would be to move without the handbrake active, there are some variations with EV transmission but "reverse", "neutral" and "forward" do not have the same meaning as with ICE manual or automatics because the the motor can spin either way (as could my Villiers 150 two stroke to my confusion)

Creep replaces the loss of control afforded by the clutch with hill starts and before "launch control" was possible.

Again, I thought I'd explained it in my post above.

"I recall reading that the creep was deliberately inserted into my previous (and maybe all) EV so that drivers of automatics feel at home."

But that does not explain why it's implemented in the 1st place and the basic reason why it has a purpose still.

It allows a controlled move from stationary even up hill without the use of a clutch and no need for auto release handbrake (which I never use)

I'd have thought it was about encouraging the use of a mechanical brake when stopped.... I can see if the car just stopped and had nothing preventing it moving it could be considered more dangerous than having a brake on. Anything else is a side effect.

Again thank you all - I had also asked my dealer, then again, he did not know, but a third contact and I got the reply, it's normal.
You might have thought they would know- maybe not

Much better to use the handbrake at junctions or traffic lights than either sitting with your foot on the brake or turning the "gear selector" to Park in which case you need to dab the footbrake in order to select drive. In either case you will be an annoyance to the driver behind you, though I appreciate not many seem to care about that. Having said that, I will keep my foot on the brake if there is no-one behind to make it clearer to anyone approaching from behind that I am stopped.

Much better to use the handbrake at junctions or traffic lights than either sitting with your foot on the brake or turning the "gear selector" to Park in which case you need to dab the footbrake in order to select drive. In either case you will be an annoyance to the driver behind you, though I appreciate not many seem to care about that. Having said that, I will keep my foot on the brake if there is no-one behind to make it clearer to anyone approaching from behind that I am stopped.
Nicely put thanks

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom