Padaung

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all,

My MG5 SR is due a service. It will be three years old in March '24 and it has covered 73k.

If I were to take it to a non-dealer for a service, would that invalidate the warranty? I'm looking at non-dealers to see if the service cost would be lower. The last service cost £240 and it felt that all they did was plug in a computer to check the systems and take a video of the underside of the car. I appreciate that this still takes knowledge, skill, time, premisses and the correct equipment to do, but it still felt on the expensive side.

If I can take it to a non-dealer, does anyone have any recommendations for a garage in the Oxford/Bicester/Brackley area?

Thanks for any help or advice.

You're perfectly entitled to go to a non MG dealer for a service at any time as long as they use proper/approved parts and stick to the service schedule. That said, I have a feeling that the warranty is 7 years or 70k, whichever comes sooner, in which case you may be out of it anyway...

Hi all,

My MG5 SR is due a service. It will be three years old in March '24 and it has covered 73k.

If I were to take it to a non-dealer for a service, would that invalidate the warranty? I'm looking at non-dealers to see if the service cost would be lower. The last service cost £240 and it felt that all they did was plug in a computer to check the systems and take a video of the underside of the car. I appreciate that this still takes knowledge, skill, time, premisses and the correct equipment to do, but it still felt on the expensive side.

If I can take it to a non-dealer, does anyone have any recommendations for a garage in the Oxford/Bicester/Brackley area?

Might be worth checking the cost of the next service. From what I remember 2nd year was high and 3rd was lower.

Not sure about pre FL but the FL gets another year of AA cover if done via and MG approved dealer.

Why not just use a different dealer?
I reported my second service costs here and it's a lot less than you paid:

Why not just use a different dealer?
Thanks, a good suggestion so I looked up who was near me.

Unfortunately the dealer we purchased the car from no longer sells nor services MG cars, which it turns out has left me with very little choice in dealer. There is one dealer that's a marginally longer drive away, but the one I use is near to my work and the other one is totally the other direction.

Thanks for the link to the thread btw, it was an interesting read. I did search for 'Service' before creating this thread, but I didn't find your thread - it mainly returned lots of references to Tesla Supercharging :unsure:

Might be worth checking the cost of the next service. From what I remember 2nd year was high and 3rd was lower.

Not sure about pre FL but the FL gets another year of AA cover if done via and MG approved dealer.
Yep third service is a minor one.

Hi all,

As there is little to do on the third service have a ring round and get quotes, MG dealer and others. Not forgetting of course the extra free year of AA full cover with the MG dealers.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom