Service costs 2nd year

Simon Rogerson

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi anyone know what the cost of the second year service is and what it entails? Been quoted vastly different prices

Thanks

Just picked mine up from the dealer. £215.00.
Full 2nd Service
Vehicle Health Check
Alarm Battery Replacement
New Pollen Filter
Brake Fluid
Infotainment Screen Update
Wash and Valet
12 months AA Assistance

And another Morris Bear to add to the family.
And another year of free breakdown cover?

Have a read of this thread. Whilst it’s about service plans it does list individual service prices for both standard (>10k miles pa) and low mileage (<10k miles pa) services

Low mileage 2nd service should be under £100 and standard mileage 2nd service should be about £175

Last edited:
My car's second year service was done about a month ago and cost about £85.
No fancy bears or whatnot! No wash and hoover either.
They did do a software update to the latest which has certainly changed the BMS but the new system does seem to be more realistic. The guessometer now reads closer to actual mileage and takes account of heater settings etc.

Full 2nd Service
Vehicle Health Check
New Pollen Filter
Brake Fluid
Wash and Valet
12 months AA Assistance

Ha, didn't get the bear for my first service...ooh they are out of stock....my daughter was devastated
I have the feeling it's another cost saving

Full 2nd Service
Vehicle Health Check
New Pollen Filter
Brake Fluid
Wash and Valet
12 months AA Assistance

Question 🙋🏻‍♂️- I would suspect that is a “Check” of the brake fluid level ( 5 seconds ).
I do not think this will be either “Top Up” or “Replace Brake Fluid” at the two year mark ?.
Three years is the norm for brake fluid change, then every two years after that.

In my experience it's every 2 years for DOT4 and yearly for DOT5.1.
My other car (Ford) has the fluid changed every other year but it is advised rather than mandated so it's ultimately down to the owner.

I have a brake fluid tester which measures the moisture (water) content in the reservoir, which is the first place moisture can get in to the system (except for leaks). A periodic check and a change as soon as moisture is present should suffice. They may use the same type of tester.
I have suspected dealers of just syphoning out and refilling the reservoir in the past, especially when the bleed nipples are bone dry and still have bone dry dust caps on.
If they have quoted a change of fluid on the check sheet or invoice. I always check the nipples.

In my experience it's every 2 years for DOT4 and yearly for DOT5.1.
My other car (Ford) has the fluid changed every other year but it is advised rather than mandated so it's ultimately down to the owner.
VAG group cars are first change at three years, then every two years there after.
I find every two years to be a bit “Over The Top” really.
A quick check with a hydroscopic meter to check moisture content, is all that’s necessary, but that does not provide any income though 💦😫.

I don't think the dealer changed my 2016 Prius brake fluid once in the four years I had it, mind it had only done about 15k miles.

Question 🙋🏻‍♂️- I would suspect that is a “Check” of the brake fluid level ( 5 seconds ).
I do not think this will be either “Top Up” or “Replace Brake Fluid” at the two year mark ?.
Three years is the norm for brake fluid change, then every two years after that.
The higher priced 2nd year service includes a change. Totally unnecessary, just needs checking, but you know, garages need revenue...

Full 2nd Service
Vehicle Health Check
New Pollen Filter
Brake Fluid
Wash and Valet
12 months AA Assistance

I've just booked mine in for its second service and was amazed at the high price. At Glyn Hopkin Chelmsford - they said it would be £427. I said that seems high, and they said they could reduce it to £347 without aircon re-gas. They know its a low mileage service, and I think that's still very high. I had my first service there last year for £145.

I need to get it done quick though, as its getting close to the annual deadline. They didn't send me a reminder, which I was surprised about.

That don't sound right sounds like a quote for ice car could you not ask to be put on a service plan with mg it starts a £6 pm

That don't sound right sounds like a quote for ice car could you not ask to be put on a service plan with mg it starts a £6 pm
Yep, doesn't sound right. But she knew it was an electric car and knew it was low mileage (but didn't know anything about the free bear!!). I'll question it again before I take it in, and ask also about service plans.

Yep, doesn't sound right. But she knew it was an electric car and knew it was low mileage (but didn't know anything about the free bear!!). I'll question it again before I take it in, and ask also about service plans.
I would at least call your next closest mg dealer for a quote if its better give them a chance to match it

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom