Service plan / warranty ?

SKA

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, my dealer called and said car should be here next week (or the week after at the most) so I asked him about service plan. He does not know anything about it but I remember seeing some posts here before that was like £6 a month or something ?

I understand that this car comes with 7 year warranty and I know that manufacturers cannot bind us having to service the car only at their dealership nowadays in order to validate the warranty but as long as it's been serviced at a vat registered garage. Of course the dealership does not want to tell me this. But is there anyway I can obtain a service schedule from MG or the dealership so I know how long and when it needs a service and what's involved ? There is a local garage I have always used and they are vat registered so it would be silly to pay dealer prices to say for a cabin filter change or check brake fluid level if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance .

The service schedule should be in the service book in the glovebox. Just check with your local garage that they have all the diagnostic kit to service EV's.

Don't forget if you get it Dealer serviced, they do any updates and the AA assistance is renewed for another year. You also get a free teddy bear (keeps the youngest happy)!

We just had our first year service done and it took them just over an hour! They didn't have time to give it a full valet but did wash it as we walked back from a local McD's.

They also updated the online service record so not sure if your local mechanic would have access.

I'm all in favour of supporting local businesses and one of my mates owns a garage and he used to service my car but he's not that knowledgeable about EV's unfortunately.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Thanks all. Didn;t know about the AA , so that may just made it worth while. Is that cover for the "car" only or cover the owner?

Back in the day I was tied with dealer services as they could void the warranty if it did not carry out by them but I am sure this is not the case anymore hence no brainer to support local for an "equivalent" service , however you are right about updates, but then I would have thought regardless dealer service or not, the dealer should still be responsible updating to the latest firmware as long as its in warranty? or is it not?

I vaguely got the cost of the service and the small ones are reasonable but when it gets to £300+ for "checking over " that is where I do not feel right ..

So any info about that low mileage £6/month service plan? what is that all about? as the local dealer have not heard about it .. Or is that not an MG thing but local dealer specific deal?

Thanks

Thanks all. Didn;t know about the AA , so that may just made it worth while. Is that cover for the "car" only or cover the owner?

Back in the day I was tied with dealer services as they could void the warranty if it did not carry out by them but I am sure this is not the case anymore hence no brainer to support local for an "equivalent" service , however you are right about updates, but then I would have thought regardless dealer service or not, the dealer should still be responsible updating to the latest firmware as long as its in warranty? or is it not?

I vaguely got the cost of the service and the small ones are reasonable but when it gets to £300+ for "checking over " that is where I do not feel right ..

So any info about that low mileage £6/month service plan? what is that all about? as the local dealer have not heard about it .. Or is that not an MG thing but local dealer specific deal?

Thanks
try this link and have aread

Thanks
Hi Ska - as far as I'm aware, it's for the car. For me that's the best option as both the wife and I drive it so if it does develop a fault, we just ring the AA no and quote the car's reg no.

Although we're on a service plan (not sure how much we pay per month - must check it out! :unsure:) I did have a look at the receipt and it would have cost us £96.

I think you're right - the dealers are responsible for updating firmware but only those that are mandatory and you'd have to fight the queue to get it booked in. The dealer basically told me that those who weren't 'customers' would be put to the back of the queue because he'd favour customers for obvious reasons. The optional updates (which you'd have to pay for) would be offered when booking or dropping the car off.

When servicing, the dealer would do the updates at the same time so stops unnecessary trips back (as much as I enjoy a trip up to Falkirk!) and at least they should know the car well!

Hope this helps

Cheers

Bloggsy

A point with mentioning: when having a car which is under warranty serviced at a non affiliated garage, you won't void the warranty as long as the parts used are specific to the make rather than the aftermarket variety.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom