Service plans

John Joy

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi I recently got an mg5 and am looking to arrange a service plan. Mg quoted me just over £1000 for a 5 year plan 12k annual mileage which I thought was very expensive. Do I need to go with dealer or mg to maintain the 7 year warranty? Or can people recommend any good places to go. I live in Irvine, Scotland

Hi I recently got an mg5 and am looking to arrange a service plan. Mg quoted me just over £1000 for a 5 year plan 12k annual mileage which I thought was very expensive. Do I need to go with dealer or mg to maintain the 7 year warranty? Or can people recommend any good places to go. I live in Irvine, Scotland
Have just taken out a plan on my ZS. It might be worth trying other MG dealers, as I noticed a consistent difference in pricing between the two I tried.

Dealers do compete with each other on this so it's worth shopping around.

Hi John Joy, Worth shopping around. I have a four year plan on my ZS with Fraser’s of Falkirk at £663. This includes AA breakdown cover. Worth checking this is included if you shop around. Good luck and let us know how you get on. Regards, Iain

When buying mine they did try and get to by a high mileage service plan which was quite expensive.
Only by doing research here was I aware of the low mileage plan for 10k PA which is exactly my PCP deal as well.
So after giving them the news price bought down.

Now paying £10.09 pm and that's for 4 services, two MOT's and the continued membership of AA.

I'm not that far down negotiations yet (no car till lNov!) but I had a service plan with the Ampera I previously owned, and was a bit miffed that in the last two years of it there were standard service items which were not included - one was an expensive coolant change and the other a belt of some sort, both around the £100 mark IIRC. Think that was years 5 & 6, but it'd be worth checking that the service plan covers all standard service items, even those which aren't annual.

Please do be careful with direct, private service plans with your dealer. Should they fold, which is more likely to happen to a small business versus MG, you may not get your money back.

Sorry for this question, but why do people need to have a service plan?
our first year service for our ZS was £36, ( low mileage service)
surly you can afford up to £100, once a year!? No? (Edit. Yep I know the 4th year service can be up to £350)
why would you tie yourself to one dealer? Who could go bump (as post above noted)
I just feel it’s not worth the paperwork (or risk) to set up for a direct debit to your account…for what? £7 per month?

yes maybe if you were getting a merc serviced ( my e class was over £700/ year hence I serviced it myself!) then maybe a service plan is the right thing to do?

I really don’t see this obsession with having a service plan…….

genuinely can someone explain to me the advantages of one please? 🙏

Why not? I'd never had one before the Ampera but it seemed a good idea - to fix the price I suppose. (Dealer labour rates being upwards of £120 ph I believe).

Not yet talked to MG about it but I've not been persuaded that it isn't convenient so I'll probably get one. Not really bothered either way.

surly you can afford up to £100, once a year!? No? (Edit. Yep I know the 4th year service can be up to £350)
why would you tie yourself to one dealer? Who could go bump (as post above noted)
I just feel it’s not worth the paperwork (or risk) to set up for a direct debit to your account…for what? £7 per month?

yes maybe if you were getting a merc serviced ( my e class was over £700/ year hence I serviced it myself!) then maybe a service plan is the right thing to do?

I thought exactly the same until I visited the dealer for the first service. Price had gone up quite a bit, plus other dealers were doing the same work for less. I'm planning on keeping the car for a while, so I'm happy to take the plan on (unless I get a good deal on a Mk2 ZS, but the plan is transferrable).

Service plan advantages:

Protection against notional price inflation
Spread the cost

Disadvantages:
Private plans carry a degree of risk and aren't portable (think MG plan is)
The money is in their account, not yours
No tangible saving based upon today's costs
Inflexible should you get a free service e.g. BMS update, or the service schedule changes

I don't believe you get protection against future price increases, when you work it out it seems they add that on to the plan.
Another advantage of not having a plan is you can shop around, I've seen prices between £35 and £120 for the first year service.

I’ve been wondering about getting a plan but do you really save much? After my regular ICE servicing of the past it looks as if the ZS EV costs are relatively peanuts. Baring in mind the warranty covers the motor and HV battery Etc.

I guess it comes down to personal preferences freedom of choice what suits one guy might not suit the next plus the warranty makes people a bit paranoid about ensuring they service the car with MG I think 🤔

It's a new car, unknown to many servicing garages, and cost me quite a few thou so I'm happy to get it serviced by MG. I am expecting to get a service plan for the convenience but may not.

The thing about services is if you look at the schedule for most (ICE) cars a lot of the service plan is checking the lights are adjusted, the seatbelt isn't frayed, the tyres are at the right pressure and the washer bottle is full. Occasionally you get something useful like an oil change, or cambelt but not too frequently. So given that an EV has none of the ICE complications there oughtn't be too much to it, whoever does it.

But a second buyer might be interested to see a Full Manufacturer Service History so to could add much more to the value than it costs.

It's a new car, unknown to many servicing garages, and cost me quite a few thou so I'm happy to get it serviced by MG. I am expecting to get a service plan for the convenience but may not.

The thing about services is if you look at the schedule for most (ICE) cars a lot of the service plan is checking the lights are adjusted, the seatbelt isn't frayed, the tyres are at the right pressure and the washer bottle is full. Occasionally you get something useful like an oil change, or cambelt but not too frequently. So given that an EV has none of the ICE complications there oughtn't be too much to it, whoever does it.

But a second buyer might be interested to see a Full Manufacturer Service History so to could add much more to the value than it costs.
In someways I agree, but I’m not saying don’t get it serviced at MG (MG uk hold the service record anyway)
I just dont see the point of a service plan with one dealer / service centre…do the sums and generally a plan will cost more than if you just turn up and pay.

sorry I don’t mean to offend anyone. Just trying to save peeps the heart ache if dealer goes pop

In someways I agree, but I’m not saying don’t get it serviced at MG (MG uk hold the service record anyway)
I just dont see the point of a service plan with one dealer / service centre…do the sums and generally a plan will cost more than if you just turn up and pay.

sorry I don’t mean to offend anyone. Just trying to save peeps the heart ache if dealer goes pop
No problem @Severnless that’s what this forums for to discuss any issues ask questions etc… 😀😀

Get a quote here first.....

Get an online quote here first. Service Plans

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom