Set driving mode to eco permanently

Sammy G

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi All, is there a way to set the driving mode to eco on my ZS LR so I don't have to change it every time I get in the car ? Thankyou

It can't be changed, and it is an annoyance , but you do get used to it becoming part of your start routine :)

Both ZS EV models default on start up to driving mode normal and Regen level 3.
Driver settings are only stored until the car is closed down, then it restores back to the default levels set by MG.
I think they considered that the default modes would be the most generally used and then manual intervention per driver would cover the rest !,
I always use the default modes, so it’s all good for me 🤣.

Last edited:
Both ZS EV models default on start up to driving mode normal and Regen level 3.
Driver settings are only stored until the car is closed down, then it restores back to the default levels set by MG.
I think they considered that the default modes would be the most generally used and then manual intervention per driver would cover the rest !,
I always use the default modes, so it’s all good for me 🤣.
I just took it the default modes are the most efficient for the car with a normal driver, same with the MG5 defaulting to Kers2.

I think I will only use eco in a get to another charger situation if you get used to it how can you get the extra miles when really need

I used to think eco mode was for old slow people and always had it in sports.

I was wrong... I now always drive in eco unless I want to beat a BMW or Range rovers at traffic lights because I dislike them.

ECO gives you a smoother acceleration, it still delivers power if you floor it and the steering is a lot easier to navigate and turn.

I'd probably drove it in Normal on Motorways due to the stiffer steering.

I own an MG5 btw

I used to think eco mode was for old slow people and always had it in sports.

I was wrong... I now always drive in eco unless I want to beat a BMW or Range rovers at traffic lights because I dislike them.

ECO gives you a smoother acceleration, it still delivers power if you floor it and the steering is a lot easier to navigate and turn.

I'd probably drove it in Normal on Motorways due to the stiffer steering.

I own an MG5 btw
With the ZS, it's initially easier to accelerate smoother in ECO, but you can quickly adapt you right foot to get smooth acceleration in Normal mode once you get used to it.
I must admit though, SWMBO's MG5 does feel a bit more powerful and not as easy to control at low speeds in normal mode, she uses ECO.
The steering is lighter in ECO but I wouldn't say by a great deal TBH, probably easier for parking.
Us "old people" can still behave like hooligans when it suits. :giggle:

I drive permanently in eco, no impacts at all for me. Just flick the switch down once, select D or R and off you go.
It also dulls down the cooling capabilites of the climate control a lot, so i suspect that if you decide to go for at drive in 35c temperatures, you would either set it to normal or sweat a lot.

Go watch TOPGUN then starting your EV and pressing those buttons every time becomes a joy ;)

I see some people saying ECO mode only affects the heat or AC which is wrong. ECO mode definitely decreases the power going to the motor and I believe it also increases the hardness of regeneration.

If you drive a petrol car and drive your MG ZS EV in ECO mode, MG ZS will still feel much better.

Go watch TOPGUN then starting your EV and pressing those buttons every time becomes a joy ;)

I see some people saying ECO mode only affects the heat or AC which is wrong. ECO mode definitely decreases the power going to the motor and I believe it also increases the hardness of regeneration.

If you drive a petrol car and drive your MG ZS EV in ECO mode, MG ZS will still feel much better.
It certainly dulls the acceleration when adjusting the cruise control to increase the speed.

Me too I have a Red mk 2 SE SR and I run it on eco all the time without no loss of power.
It also gives me an extra 30/40 miles of range.

Wow! 15% increase in range with no loss of power ?

ECO mode reduces the heater output and fan speeds.

It reduces throttle response by reducing torque demand - torque is directly proportional to power. At no point does ECO mode increase range by 30 to 40 miles for someone using the same driving style in the same driving conditions.

In ECO mode, if you floor the throttle the reduction in torque will be discontinued and you will get maximum power.

Economy is controlled by your right foot. If you drive in NORMAL mode and make gentle movement with your foot when acceleration and slow down early using predictive driving skills, you will achieve the same economy in driving as you do in ECO mode, apart from the reduced heater and fan output which gives a very small improvement of maybe 10 miles.

I would rather drive the car in NORMAL mode and not get too hot or too cold in the car because of reductions in the HVAC system. IMHO :)

On a recent 1040 mile round trip I drove the entire journey in NORMAL mode with MG Pilot on for the large MWay parts of the trip. It was both relaxing and comfortable sat in the car.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom