Severe buzzing sound from speakers

Ashs Antics

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Hi,

The issue started a while back when trying to play music from the car. The music would stop and then a high pitched buzzing sound would begin from the speakers. It would only stop when the car was turned off and locked for about 30 seconds.

Took the car to MG who said they fixed the fault and that it wouldn’t happen again. It carried on happening. Resorted to listening to music with my headphones in until today when the sound came back even louder. This time I hadn’t even tried to play music and my phone was not connected.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? I do have a video for those who want to have their ears blasted.

Ash :)

Welcome, Ash. Just sorry you've joined with such a problem.

It's probably no consolation to know it's not one I've either experienced, or heard anyone else complain about, but with luck some people on here will have some ideas.

If that happened to me I'd go ballistic. I can't do without my car stereo.

Thanks for your welcome Rolfe.

Same! It’s no fun without the stereo.

unfortunately I am unable to post the video on here! But it is very loud and causes a massive headache

Is it happening with all sources? Radio (both FM and DAB) and the USB player? I don't use my phone for music, but that's another source to check.

Is it happening with all sources? Radio (both FM and DAB) and the USB player? I don't use my phone for music, but that's another source to check.
All sources and now even with zero audio and speakers turned all the way down to zero unfortunately. Almost as if it’s the speaker itself rather than a stereo issue

Upload your video to YouTube and just post the link.

Hi,

The issue started a while back when trying to play music from the car. The music would stop and then a high pitched buzzing sound would begin from the speakers. It would only stop when the car was turned off and locked for about 30 seconds.

Took the car to MG who said they fixed the fault and that it wouldn’t happen again. It carried on happening. Resorted to listening to music with my headphones in until today when the sound came back even louder. This time I hadn’t even tried to play music and my phone was not connected.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? I do have a video for those who want to have their ears blasted.

Ash :)
Hi Ash

Now this might not have anything to with your issue

A few years back my brother in law had a brand new Ford Kuga ( 21 plate )

He had it about a month & started to get quite a loud humming coming from the speakers ( nowhere near as bad a noise as your getting in the video )

Took it to Ford, one of the service team said they had seen this issue before & it was just a case of unpairing his phone from the car & re synching

They done this & the problem went away. A few weeks later it started again so he repeated the process, thankfully after this it never happened again

Again this could have no bearing on your issue but I wish you luck, that noise would drive me absolutely bonkers !!

Good luck buddy

Does it still do it with nothing plugged into the USB ports and Bluetooth switched off?
Hi Ian,

Yes it does unfortunately

Hi Ash

Now this might not have anything to with your issue

A few years back my brother in law had a brand new Ford Kuga ( 21 plate )

He had it about a month & started to get quite a loud humming coming from the speakers ( nowhere near as bad a noise as your getting in the video )

Took it to Ford, one of the service team said they had seen this issue before & it was just a case of unpairing his phone from the car & re synching

They done this & the problem went away. A few weeks later it started again so he repeated the process, thankfully after this it never happened again

Again this could have no bearing on your issue but I wish you luck, that noise would drive me absolutely bonkers !!

Good luck buddy
Hi Adam,

Ahh that doesn’t sound good but glad a fix was found. I will give that a go today. I have it booked in with MG for the third time late next week so let’s hope they can figure it out!

Hi Ash.

We had an identical issue to yours today - all of a sudden in the middle of a call while doing 110kmh on the freeway. It was terrifying and really dangerous. Our touch screen for the entertainment system went completely black and not reactive. We turned off Bluetooth on the phone - sound was still there. We turned the entire car off - sound still there. Maybe it was a coincidence, but the sound stopped only when my phone was completely switched off. Then turned the car back on and everything went back to normal (thankfully - we were still 90mins from home and I could not have handled that noise for that long).
Would LOVE to know - what did your dealer say, and were they were able to fix this for you?

It does sound like some kind of warning note - what I mean is that it sounds like some kind of deliberate tone,as opposed to something like a mains hum / feedback / white noise / electrical interference / rf breakthrough / etc.
Does it change volume if you turn up / down any of the MG volume settings (voice, music, nav)?
Does it happen if you unpair your phone and turn it off?
Does turning ac on or off, lights on / off, indicators / wipers / reversing light / fog lamp / passenger air bag / plugging in / unplugging all 5 seat belts etc alter things?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back