Shell Recharge - Problems ?

D

Deleted member 2439

Hi all,

I tried a new Shell Recharge site today. It’s the Buckden site in Bedfordshire, on the first roundabout at the end of the A1 going south.

It didn’t end well though. The 4 gleaming new chargers were empty and I failed to charge at 2 of them, with the same symptoms each time. I elected to pay by contactless and it initially accepted a card, then the car was saying “connected not charging” and the charger was “waiting for car”. I tried several times with several cards. I also tried the helpline - which promptly then disconnected my call after telling me how wonderful they were in moving Britain forward!

So, am I alone, or has anyone else had similar problems - or even managed to charge at one of these swanky new devices. Not the cheapest @ 41p per unit, but ideally located on a journey I do regularly. Luckily I had enough in the battery to get to a PodPoint charger further on.

Thanks - Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
The only Shell Recharge unit I’ve so far used is at Saxondale, near Nottingham. First time I used it (with contactless) I had problems but eventually wangled a charge from it (for which I was never billed!).

By the next time I came to use it, I had a Shell RFID card and it was as easy as pie (although I did get charged! 😆)

Overall, I like the machines - they seem quick (up to 75kW at the start of the cycle) and informative, plus it’s very easy to read the status screen from within the car. And because they’re located on forecourts, there’s usually good facilities too - unlike the majority of Pulse sites, for example.

Shell was always my go-to brand in an ICE car too, so perhaps I’m showing some bias!

I forgot to add that I’ve now found my RIFID token which I’ve had for months and never registered to an account or payment card. I’ve now done all that and that hopefully I’ll be more successful on my next attempt. I’m assuming you just wave the RIFID at the reader and away you go? 🤞

I've used a shell recharge unit just off the M4 at Reading back in May, worked fine and fast charge etc. I wasn't billed until the end of June for some reason though.

I used the shell recharge app on my phone

I forgot to add that I’ve now found my RIFID token which I’ve had for months and never registered to an account or payment card. I’ve now done all that and that hopefully I’ll be more successful on my next attempt. I’m assuming you just wave the RIFID at the reader and away you go? 🤞
Yes. I have used the one at Newark just off the A1 twice, worked fine with the RFID card.

I know you don't normally have to, but if it was waiting for the car, did you try locking it just to initiate the charge ?

Used the one in Basingstoke today, worked perfectly with the RFID token 👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom