Shell to close 1000 petrol stations.

Although, the gas and oil companies keep tryiprng to promote it because 90% of hydrogen is made from natural gas. A sort of "oil bad, hydrogen good" scam.

Oil companies prefer Blue (or Grey) Hydrogen as it a) is derived from hydrocarbons, and b) is (currently) cheaper to produce. Green Hydrogen would be the way to go (as it is extracted from water) but it is (currently) very expensive to produce.

But that's not considering storage requirements etc. which are far more stringent than petrol/diesel and also far more costly (per unit volume).

Not that there's only Blue and Green hydrogen mind. :)

I think Shell is making a mistake in the medium to long term. They're imagining people making a stop at a charger as they would have stopped at a petrol station in the past. Those with home charging won't, and as residential type 2 charging gets commoner and commoner, people in flats and terraced houses are going to charge overnight from bollards and lamp posts at a cheaper rate with no hanging around.

Going forward, DC charging is going to become something for long trips only. The chargers will be needed on motorways and trunk roads, not in city centres.

If they are, that would be REALLY good. They said they weren't going to get into home charging, but nothing was said about public car park or kerbside charging. I wonder if they even realise how much that's needed and the opportunities.

I think they want to build a business model on using the land they already own for DC charging and selling their captive customers coffe and cakes. This may not work in the medium to long term.

I am one of those who live in a London flat without a charger. I will always go for the cheapest charger and prefer an AC one for the health of the battery. Right now this is lamppost charger.

That said there is a BP petrol station down the road that has just had 8 shiny (16 cars can charge) new MFG rapid chargers installed and they are always in use.

At a glance it looks to be taxis, and work vehicles but there is a good share of normal cars as well.

To be honest I was quite surprised how popular they are at 79p/kWh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think when people don't have an AC one that's convenient they will go for it. But as AC chargers become commoner and more easily accessible, they'll give up on the DC.
I agree. I think rapid chargers in cities will be mainly used by commercial vehicles and business reps who cover a lot of miles during their working day. Commuters would be able to cope with overnight charging on AC.

I agree. But even then, in a city, how many miles is anyone going to do in a single day, realistically? More than the range of their vehicle? Again, I think if people can charge overnight they will, and ubiquitous type 2 charging would probably keep most business reps and commercial vehicles going in a city.

In rural areas, obviously not, but again these people would be looking at DC chargers on motorways and trunk roads rather than town centres. I'm not exactly against DC chargers, but I think that in the longer term banks of the things in cities and towns might be a bit underutilised.

I mean, like tomorrow. I need to do about 125 miles in two trips. OK, the car can handle that even in the cold, especially since I can give it about three hours on the granny charger between the trips which should give me another 20 miles or so.

However I need it again first thing the following morning, to do maybe another 50-60 miles over the course of the day, and I will have barely nine hours of granny charging overnight. Should be OK, but I don't want to find myself in any trouble going home uphill late in the evening with an elderly passenger. So do I stop at a rapid charger on the way home tomorrow night to make sure?

Well that would work and maybe not take too long. But as it happens there are perfectly good destination chargers in the car park where the car will be left for maybe 4-5 hours tomorrow evening. At 40p a unit. I can be at 100% for my return journey with zero waiting around and cheaper even than the Tesla charger I'd go for on the way home. It's a no-brainer.

The more people get used to having chargers like that available, cheaper than the rapids, the less the rapids are going to be needed.

And that's how it should be, and that's why I think peppering urban areas with banks of high-power high-price DC chargers is going to backfire in time.

How can Tesla afford to sell the same electricity @ 44p(ish) as all the rest seem to need to sell @ 75p(ish) ?
Presumably they've got a very successful business model on the go there ? 🤔

Can't help feeling there's a clue there as to how this whole EV thing could've been handled slightly better to encourage the masses. Not sure how as it's waaaay above my paygrade but...

Can't help feeling there's a clue there as to how this whole EV thing could've been handled slightly better to encourage the masses. Not sure how as it's waaaay above my paygrade but...
Cheaper cars ? Easier available charging ( at home and elsewhere )? . Resoration of of grants for EV purchase ( especially when we have to pay VED ) ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom