Short Range/Long Range comparison

@Lovemyev Ok you win.

It was originally the longer range that swayed me towards the MG and away from the Skoda Enyaq which i really liked.

Mine isn't due until August/September (in theory) so I guess I'll just have to be patient.

Thanks for everyones input.
It is a difficult call to make !.
Faced with the uncertainty of not know when a LR model will arrive vs maybe dropping lucky on a SR right now ????.
You can send yourself ( and your family ) crazy with the old :- “Should I wait for the LR or should go for the SR now”.
If the range is important and it appears it IS !.
Then stick with it !.
Say you bought a model that was available now, but it did not have the sun roof or a Sat Nav ??.
You would miss the features yes, but you would quickly get use to that compromise.
Settling for a smaller pack that you know was important priority on your “ Must Have” list is a different ball game altogether.
I have said it before and I will say it again.
It’s all down to matching the pack size to your usage case.
Get it wrong and your screwed !.

I can see why those who do a lot of driving want and LR.
My work journey is only around 1.4k miles a year. I do the odd journey of around 10 miles return and a longer 130 miles 4 or 5 times a year.
To insist on an LR in my case would have perhaps just been a vanity purchase. Not worth the wait and extra cost to me.

Get the SR if your long range stuff is covered by the other car. Saying that, the SR will still do the miles, you just need to allow more time for stops to charge.

Diesel at £2.00 a litre, and going to get higher, will mean a gallon will soon cost £10.00. Something else to consider.

I went for the LR because I have a regular 230 mile round trip that I do. The LR allows me to do it without having to stop and charge. Not sure where you get 190 miles range for the LR, or 140 miles range for the SR?

Also remember that on a long trip you would typically rapid charge at around 15% (allows a bit of range should the charger be broken), and stop at 80%. So your range per rapid charge is only 65% of the full battery range.
Exactly, our LR will do the round trip to London 240miles and still have 20% charge left, provided one drives sensible.
We had a Leaf previously, 5 yrs , 50,000 miles always charged at Home (plugged in whenever journey finished) and the battery still had 5 stars when we sold it.
Hopefully doing the same with the MG will give the same result.

I can see why those who do a lot of driving want and LR.
My work journey is only around 1.4k miles a year. I do the odd journey of around 10 miles return and a longer 130 miles 4 or 5 times a year.
To insist on an LR in my case would have perhaps just been a vanity purchase. Not worth the wait and extra cost to me.
I totally agree with your views, it's all about range suitability and individual usage cases that should dictate your choice of battery size.
Would it seem logical to buy a V8 powered ICE then fill the fuel tank to capacity, just to carry out a small commute to work each day, then some short ( ish ) trips at the weekend ?.
Of course not !.
Some people do this of course and that is just fine, but its a sledge hammer to crack a nut !.
If the SR totally suits your usage case, then 100% go for it.

Diesel at £2.00 a litre, and going to get higher, will mean a gallon will soon cost £10.00. Something else to consider.
I totally agree Michael !.
My son has always craved for a VW transporter to take his young family out for short stay trips.
Only today, his wish came true when I gave him a lift, to go and collect it.
( I was driving our Trophy LR that I had charged to 80% the night before ).
The Transporter looked really nice I have to say, but when it came to paying for the road fund licence, I nearly fell off my seat !.
It was almost £300 pounds for 12 months !.
When we left the garage, first stop was to buy some extra Derv to get us home.
He put £80 worth of Derv into the tank ( no addblue required on this visit ) and the fuel gauge only hit about three quarters full.
This got my very rusty brain wheels spinning again.
The car was full of sparks shooting from my ears.
Extremely rough man maths on the move here ( please don't judge ).
I am starting to think, if the Transporter was 100% full of fuel, we are talking about £100 ( ish ) here to fill it ( maybe a bit more ).
Let's just guess it would cover about 400 miles of range on that tank of fuel, for that £100 outlay ?.
If I to charge the Trophy to 100% SOC ( Same full tank if you wish ) then I would expect WAY in excess of 200 miles of range ( Yes it would be more, but just go with it for now folks ).
So, if I did this twice there is the same 400 miles of range ( ish ).
Here is the kicker !.
Home charging from my wall box ( overnight ) on a cheaper "Off - Peak" rate of 5.0p/Kwh.
I think the total cost of both sessions of charging would be ( forgive me folks, in my head on the move maths here ) would be a LOT less than £10 total.
So, cost wise ( Fuel / Energy ) we have £100 vs £10 to cover approx the same 400 miles in distance.
This is just the fuel ALONE without any Addblue or any of the other costs included like road tax, service costs etc etc.
When we reached home, I could tell he was very pleased with this purchase.
He then said :- "These are great, why don't you get one of these Dad ?".
My reply :- "No thanks son, I am a OAP now, I can't afford to run one of them" :ROFLMAO: .
My cars over the last five years, have been a PHEV to start, then a pure EV for two years and now another EV.
Honestly, I have to totally hold up my arms and say, that I have lost complete control of the costs involved in running a petrol or Derv car these days.
It was an eye opening experience for sure.
I spent the whole journey home alone in my near silent EV just shaking my head !.
In the end, I rang my son on the move and said :- "How much was the road tax again ?".
Yep - I did hear right, almost £300 OMG !.
Did I make the right choice buying my second EV then ?.
What do you think - I was smiling for the whole drive back home.

Just a note on the LR and SR range comparisons... Our SR charge display screen has a line at 80% and at 100% states for long journeys. Although I've found no way to set it to automatically stop charging at 80% yet.
The implication is that the SR should only be charged to 100% before long journeys, so as not to keep the car above 80% for very long.

I don’t think you can set the charge value on the SR because the LFP battery can be charged to 100% as much as you like without incurring any damage.

I don’t think you can set the charge value on the SR because the LFP battery can be charged to 100% as much as you like without incurring any damage.
Charging the LR to 100% Indicated SOC does NOT damage the battery.

The SR always charges to 100%.

The LR is different and ALLOWS the owner to charge to the level the owner prefers.

A typical NMC battery pack is good for around 2000 charge cycles (0 - 100% - 0%) with 80% of capacity maintained.

A typical LFP battery pack is good for around 4000 charge cycles with 80% of capacity maintained.

NMC is battery type in the LR.
LFP is battery type in the SR.

For the LR:

80% of 273 miles is 218 miles. So average of 245 miles over lifetime.

If we drop that to 200 miles, then

200 miles x 2000 cycles = 400,000 miles.

For the SR:

80% of 198 miles is 158 miles. So average of 178 miles over lifetime.

If we drop that to 150 miles, then

150 miles x 4000 cycles = 600,000 miles.

I personally don’t think there is a worry about how long the batteries in any EV will last under normal use.

By opportunistic charging, the number of charge cycles can be increased, improving the total driving range attainable over the life of the battery pack. The LR allows the user to achieve this, the SR does not. There are various other reasons why it is required that the SR battery is better charged to 100%. The SR battery also suffers more under cold conditions than the LR version.

The SR battery has fewer Wh/kg than the LR battery, hence it being nearly the same size and weight as the LR battery.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom