Shortcut screen MY23 Trophy

Grriff

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Came across this screen (on release R40) when I swiped the home screen from top left or right. It provides shortcuts to some Infotainment settings. I don't remember seeing it in any manuals, so it may be of interest
IMG_20230914_114202.jpg

I’d seen mention of it before as I saw someone turn ESC off (something Matt Watson was suggesting the xpower was lacking, suspect not, but it’s not obvious)
Just for clarity I’d seen it was possible but didn’t know how so thanks for posting :)

They should allow one of the custom buttons to be LKA on/off rather than force people to go via the screen
Hmm, I dunno, it’s a one time thing before driving, I suspect I’d prefer more options for shortcuts for while I’m driving. Not like I’m gonna want to toggle it on or off multiple times in a journey.

Hmm, I dunno, it’s a one time thing before driving, I suspect I’d prefer more options for shortcuts for while I’m driving. Not like I’m gonna want to toggle it on or off multiple times in a journey.
On for motorway/dual carriageway off again for back roads country roads etc.

Agree with @Leni16 comment above. The most annoying thing for me was on the frequent occasions I forgot to turn it off eg when jumping out of the car to post a letter and the damn thing reactivated. The last thing I then wanted was to be stabbing at the screen, I wanted a quick way to turn it off, safely, without stopping. The button would have achieved that. I solved the problem by buying another car.

Ahh OK, I’m obviously working on theory at the moment. I’ll likely agree when I’ve got some real world experience. I thought LKA was just universally disliked and unwanted.

Did you find it useful on the motorway to keep you in the lane without too much pinballing back and forth between the lanes? Maybe I’ll get some use out of it but I’m mainly rural lanes and single carriageway A roads here.

I've never found it useful. TJA occasionally, yes, but never LKA. The only time I don't switch it off is when I'm not leaving the village where the speed limit is 20 so it's not going to activate anyway.

My personal opinion is that if you need the LKA or you find it helpful, you shouldn't be driving in the first place.

Ahh OK, I’m obviously working on theory at the moment. I’ll likely agree when I’ve got some real world experience. I thought LKA was just universally disliked and unwanted.

Did you find it useful on the motorway to keep you in the lane without too much pinballing back and forth between the lanes? Maybe I’ll get some use out of it but I’m mainly rural lanes and single carriageway A roads here.

Personally, I never wanted to use it because it just didn’t work well. I have auto steer on my Tesla and I use it all the time, it works really well. The MG4 LKA in my experience was very unreliable, slow to react, wouldn’t keep me in lane properly, inspired zero confidence. On the local roads where I live, single track, it drove me nuts constantly having to deactivate it when I forgot and would constantly try to steer me into a ditch.

It’s a first world problem I know, but for me LKA was a constant reminder of MG slapdash attitude to these things and their indifference to complaints. The issue could be made better in a second with a software update to give a quick and easy method to deactivate it.

I purchased my MG4 with my eyes open, I knew there would be software problems and challenges with a new platform. I naively thought that MG would communicate with me and that software fixes would come reasonably quickly. I did get updates and attempts at fixes but the issues were never fully resolved and MG couldn’t or wouldn’t tell me when or if they ever would be resolved. After 10 months of ownership, and multiple periods in a courtesy car, I’d had enough. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yeah I thought the point of lane keep assist wasn’t to drive for you so much as stop you doing something expensive. It’s a guard rail not a feature to hand over to. At least not for me. Autopilot maybe but lane keep assist is like having those bumpers come up at the bowling alley just virtually.

Or am I mistaken? Is it marketed somewhere as an actual feature to hand over to?

Yeah I thought the point of lane keep assist wasn’t to drive for you so much as stop you doing something expensive. It’s a guard rail not a feature to hand over to. At least not for me. Autopilot maybe but lane keep assist is like having those bumpers come up at the bowling alley just virtually.

Or am I mistaken? Is it marketed somewhere as an actual feature to hand over to?
100% agree definitely never had it as anything other than a safety feature, bit like the bumper rails kids use in the bowling alleys.
Don't need expect or want it to take over any part of the steering for me

No it’s not marketed as a system to hand over to, rely on, BUT. My gripe is this, dont force a half baked LKA system on people. If it’s a passive system purely for warning then make it so. If it’s an auto steer system then do that and do it properly. What I don’t want is an intrusive system that is good at neither one or the other that can’t be easily turned off.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back