Shorter aerials

Gandalfharrow

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have to take the aerial off when I reverse into the garage.

Does anyone know if there is a shorter version available?

Mind you radio appears to work quite well without it but looks a bit naff!

Have contemplated chopping it down a bit.

I have to take the aerial off when I reverse into the garage.

Does anyone know if there is a shorter version available?

Mind you radio appears to work quite well without it but looks a bit naff!

Have contemplated chopping it down a bit.
Hi Gandalfharrow, aye when I had my ZS I bought a wee stumpy aerial which was around two and a half inches in length.
We very rarely use a radio in a car so I can’t really vouch for its performance but
A6FA0F50-A479-4160-BF27-C16B38CEBFDE.jpeg
it actually looked better than the original to my eye.

There a few threads on this, some with suggestions:

Hi Gandalfharrow, aye when I had my ZS I bought a wee stumpy aerial which was around two and a half inches in length.
We very rarely use a radio in a car so I can’t really vouch for its performance butView attachment 8055 it actually looked better than the original to my eye.
Thanks, it should be better than no aerial. Was it difficult to find one?

If you have a facelift model, remember that the over-the-air updates and other cellular communications transmit and receive through that antenna. It might be a bit higher tech than some random third party stick.
[ Edit: but see two posts down. Sigh. ]

Running a radio transmitter without an aerial/antenna can damage the transmitter, as the transmit power gets reflected by the massive impedance mismatch, and travels back to the output stage where it can blow things up.

Is it possible to modify your garage door perhaps?

Last edited:
If you have a facelift model, remember that the over-the-air updates and other cellular communications transmit and receive through that antenna. It might be a bit higher tech than some random third party stick.

Running a radio transmitter without an aerial/antenna can damage the transmitter, as the transmit power gets reflected by the massive impedance mismatch, and travels back to the output stage where it can blow things up.

Are we sure the 4G signal is also received via this antenna ?

Asking because FM/DAB and 4G is vastly different frequencies that would normally require different antenna's.

It would be my guess that the 4G antenna is either not located where the ordinary FM/DAB antenna is, or it is located in the base of the antenna.

I would also not recommend just cutting the original antenna, these are a specific length to fit specific freqency ranges, and if they are not the correct lenght, this would make the signal become lower.

Are we sure the 4G signal is also received via this antenna ?

Asking because FM/DAB and 4G is vastly different frequencies that would normally...
Oh yes, of course :oops:

[ Edit: But now you've got me wondering where that cellular antenna is. Burying it inside a metal chassis makes no sense. And there is a lot of metal in a car...

And actually, putting two antennas close to each other, one receiving and the other sometimes sending, also makes no sense. ]

It would be my guess that the 4G antenna is either not located where the ordinary FM/DAB antenna is, or it is located in the base of the antenna.
Agreed.

I would also not recommend just cutting the original antenna, these are a specific length to fit specific freqency ranges
Absolutely.

Last edited:
Oh yes, of course :oops:

[ Edit: But now you've got me wondering where that cellular antenna is. Burying it inside a metal chassis makes no sense. And there is a lot of metal in a car...

And actually, putting two antennas close to each other, one receiving and the other sometimes sending, also makes no sense. ]

Agreed.

Absolutely.
On a previous car i owned, the roof antenna was the FM antenna, the base where the antenna mounted, was where the GPS antenna was housed, and also in that base was the GSM antenna for those cars with "Onstar" fitted.

The DAB antenna was "glued" to one of the windows in the side in the boot area for cars that had the DAB version of the HMI.

But really, the GPS'es of today are pretty good at catching the GPS signal even in difficult situations.

On my previous car, the USB for AA / AC was inside of the cubbyhole under the armrest, my phone was put into that hole and it still got the GPS signal. (Allthough on hot summerdays, it would sometimes complain that it had gotten to hot, because of no ventilation inside of that small compartment)

I would also imagine that a phone would be able to get the GPS signal when on the wireless charger that is also a bit shielded from the outside, by the dash. :)

[ Edit: but see two posts down. Sigh. ]

Wish it was, lots of £ to replace motorised door. Are you saying that aerial is also used as a transmitter for car communication?

I should read all the replies. But it appears that we are all guessing, perhaps a dealership could reply?

The visible aerial on the roof (particularly the long whippy stick) is for the radio, nothing more, nothing less. You can replace these very easily from as little as a few quid from ebay or amazon or heaven forbid a Motorworld store or Halfords.

It has nothing to do with GPS, 4G or anything else suggested. The "Whip" antennae is literally just for the radio. So go online and find yourself a short replacement like Archev did and all your problems will be solved.

i put that one that has the logo MG, i bought a kit, were two antennas come the shorter one (still not used) with no logo and the longer with MG logo...
IMG_20211021_183430.jpg
IMG_20211021_183409.jpg

Mmm intersting. The one thing I have noted with my ZS mk 1 is how good the DAB signal is. I'm in Hampshire and can often pull in London stations with the car that my portable Roberts with a good arial can't. And although Have some hearing impairment I find the quality of the sound system to be very good and better than my top of the range Passat estate. Yet I have seen comments by people who complain about the speakers? Do they not have the system set up properly?

Attachments

• IMG_20220429_154553.jpg
    IMG_20220429_154553.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20220429_154548.jpg
    IMG_20220429_154548.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 264
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm curious about this too: just awaiting collection of a MK2 Essence after having sold my Mk1.
The antenna on the Mk1 was simply a stub, whereas the MK2 has this very long, whippy antenna & I too would have problems parking with this in our under house garage.

Specifically: why was it changed to the new design? Both cars have FM & DAB (although the latter was not available in the Australian MK1). Otherwise, the only difference I can see in the two cars is the addition of the Head Unit SIM.

Will try the stubby aftermarket Universal Antenna & they come in a couple of lengths, cheap enough on eBay for sure. But am still a little dubious given that the Mk2 antenna is so different on the new car ....

I got this and it works just fine
So that's for all functions? Incl. FM & DAB radio as well as the SIM?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
There was a thread about this earlier.

I changed my aerial for a stubby one and it's fine, and car also goes in the garage.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom