Should I buy a MG4 Trophy Or Not?

Should I buy a MG4 Trophy or not?

• Yes

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Trophy will (or should) be heavier as it has a motorised driver's seat, plus heated front seats and all the additional tech. But maybe the overall difference is minor.

Thanks guys , I guess we'll see if there is a way to take it off or an aftermarket insert that's more aerodynamic . Getting the trophy purely for the tech so the 15km difference might be recoverable if its the same weight.
On one particular review the guy grabbed the spoiler and pointed out how flimsy it was by moving it up and down an inch or so with ease.
Not sure whether it was an issue with that particular Trophy but others here with this model will know.

Want to see what people think?
I have had my red Trophy 6 weeks now and before I owned a ID.3. There are a few things better on the ID.3 but this MG4 Trophy is amazing, and I am sure updates of the software will improve it further. Why did I go for the more expensive MG4, basically for the heated seats, the amazing 360 camera. All electric cars should have heated seats, which saves on using the heater. I was fortunate I sold my year old ID.3 and made £9,000 profit. Which was my push to go Trophy. Its a better drive and handles corners well. Would recommend to anyone…🚗🚗🚗

I would say that a test drive in both would make your mind up immediately, I was certainly surprised by how well the MG4 drives, but also comparing both vehicles, one is streamlined and aerodynamic and the other looks like a brick😆

I have the SE long Range, but I wish I had the trophy.
Electric seats and the rear reversing camera is a miss

Hold out for the Cupra UrbanRebel?
Do they / are they, bring out an utter bonkers AWD sub 4 second 0-62mph?

If so, then I will hold back on my current plans for the MG4 “Triumph’ ( I believe if I keep saying Trumph, the spec level name will become true in the UK 😁).

If not, then whilst would consider the Cupra when the time comes, the MG4 will be really hard too beat

Last edited:
On one particular review the guy grabbed the spoiler and pointed out how flimsy it was by moving it up and down an inch or so with ease.
Not sure whether it was an issue with that particular Trophy but others here with this model will know.
Mine does, but I do not give a monkeys…I only tried it after seeing presumably the same video review.

I believe the spoiler is going nowhere. And is not a deal breaker for me.

I know I seem to be sticking up for the vehicle all the time, trust me, it does have issues…..I am unimpressed with the infotainment system, I do not like the fact the car sometimes gets in a tiz, and forgets my radio stations, and often spews out the welcome message back in 2019….I also hate how the time keeps going wrong…..this, being ex armed services, gets one my man boobs the most!!! I am a slave to time…… always have been….I love time…..hate being late and would rather be a day early than one minute late….but that is probably more down to me than anything else 😁

I know this has probably been mentioned before but it's a shame they didn't do a standard range Trophy. I have this mental block about spend over £30k on a car so the SE LR is the sweet spot for me and what we will probably order.

Do they / are they, bring out an utter bonkers AWD sub 4 second 0-62mph?

If so, then I will hold back on my current plans for the MG4 “Triumph’ ( I believe if I keep saying Trumph, the spec level name will become true in the UK 😁).

If not, then whilst would consider the Cupar when the time comes, the MG4 will be really hard too beat
I'm not sure. I only stubbed across it the other day when I was looking on their site about the Formentor. I saw that Urban Rebel one, and browsed a bit. Think they said the 'normal' one is a 6.9 0-62mph time and FWD. Maybe the nuts one is a concept?

I know this has probably been mentioned before but it's a shame they didn't do a standard range Trophy. I have this mental block about spend over £30k on a car so the SE LR is the sweet spot for me and what we will probably order.
The was even a poll on this that concluded many people (including me) would want that, but sadly MG have not gone for that.

Agree with you, it is a shame in yours (and I would imagine many) peoples cases.

But if £30K is your limit, then so beit. you will not get a better car sub £30k than the SE LR at present. In my honest opinion.

The one thing that caused us to order the Trophy was the 360 / rear-view camera. The rear window isn't big on the MG4 and the mirrors are modest. Having had one of these before on a Qashqai, we found it invaluable. Now, if you (and everyone driving the car) is good at parking, you'll maybe be fine.

The other thing that is possibly important is heated seats. EVs like the MG4 without a heatpump use a lot of power to run the heater, so many people just put the heated seats on (or use them first, then heater as needed) as a way of reducing the range loss in winter.

Of course, neither of these things may matter, I just mention them as they were factors in our decision.

I'm not sure. I only stubbed across it the other day when I was looking on their site about the Formentor. I saw that Urban Rebel one, and browsed a bit. Think they said the 'normal' one is a 6.9 0-62mph time and FWD. Maybe the nuts one is a concept?
That nutter one does look good! I can see it being a concept though, as i think you suggest.

I was going to part ex my Trophy for a nutter Triumph summer next year….. but I think I may wait till late 2023, before I decide and order ready for early 2024.

Anyway @4ND Have you got any closer to your decision regarding taking the plunge and shortlisting / ordering a MG4 yet?

Christ! You have been considering long enough! 🤣

Anyway @4ND Have you got any closer to your decision regarding taking the plunge and shortlisting / ordering a MG4 yet?

Christ! You have been considering long enough! 🤣
lol It's more a case of thinking what the dog's car will be next. It's currently a JUKE NISMO RS which, fingers crossed, is fine. In fact it's got its service on Thursday with the particular guy I only allow to do it (with me buying all the fluids/filters myself at the dealership already to give him). You can imagine how 'different' they think i am at the dealership.
There's still a decent amount of coin in that car's current trade in value, plus it's been looked after to the hilt, plus what I/we've been saving to maybe consider another motor 'for the dog'.

I was going to part ex my Trophy for a nutter Triumph summer next year….. but I think I may wait till late 2023, before I decide and order ready for early 2024.
The car market might be a bit better then too, regrading supply chins and chips shortages.

lol It's more a case of thinking what the dog's car will be next. It's currently a JUKE NISMO RS which, fingers crossed, is fine. In fact it's got its service on Thursday with the particular guy I only allow to do it (with me buying all the fluids/filters myself at the dealership already to give him). You can imagine how 'different' they think i am at the dealership.
There's still a decent amount of coin in that car's current trade in value, plus it's been looked after to the hilt, plus what I/we've been saving to maybe consider another motor 'for the dog'.
Thanks.

Absolutely Non the wiser!! 😁

I alway quite liked the Juke, but O/C Hoose hated them. Not sure what it has to do with her, as she has her own car (Niro Hybrid, onto her second after a spate of Audi’s), so not it like she will have Drive one.

Last edited:
The car market might be a bit better then too, regrading supply chins and chips shortages.
Agreed.

My biggest problem is my utter impatience, often gets me into self inflicted trouble.

I think the best I can do, is continue to enjoy my lovely Jaffa Trophy, when I get my Batmobile back later this month (following a deep strip and total respray and brand new seals all round) taking her out for a (few hair) raising sprints, with top down motoring. Take time out, fit the solar, save up and see the lie of the land, latter part of next year re: choice and cost 👍

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back