Should I cancel my ZSEV order because of rising energy costs?

I would look at the longer term situation. It is gas prices alone which have recently soared and there is talk about unlinking the price of electricity from gas (it is currently linked). Also, as EV's replace petrol and diesel the value of non-EV's will fall as the availability of their fuel will fall and it's price rises.
On the downside, I might not live that long. :)

I would look at the longer term situation. It is gas prices alone which have recently soared and there is talk about unlinking the price of electricity from gas (it is currently linked). Also, as EV's replace petrol and diesel the value of non-EV's will fall as the availability of their fuel will fall and it's price rises.
On the downside, I might not live that long. :)
I doubt many of us will live that long 😁
2nd & 3rd world will be burning fossil fuels for many decades yet so their supply shouldn't be affected, taxation on the other hand...
(Heating oil has increased markedly in line with gas' increases, that's despite crude dropping in price a little, it's winter next...)

If everyone keeps on burning fossil fuels, you won't have to worry about the cost of heating oil or gas because your house will be nice and warm in the winter on its own. (You'll need aircon in the summer though, but they run on electricity.) :)

If everyone keeps on burning fossil fuels, you won't have to worry about the cost of heating oil or gas because your house will be nice and warm in the winter on its own. (You'll need aircon in the summer though, but they run on electricity.) :)
Sadly I don't think there's even an "if" looking at the world as a whole. I just can't see "everyone" stopping burning fuels anytime soon 🤷‍♂️

I doubt many of us will live that long 😁
2nd & 3rd world will be burning fossil fuels for many decades yet so their supply shouldn't be affected, taxation on the other hand...
(Heating oil has increased markedly in line with gas' increases, that's despite crude dropping in price a little, it's winter next...)
Yes, but in the UK we are not (yet) in the third world, and first world countries will be (expectedly) first to adopt low carbon/fossil fuel technologies. Taxes, like death, will affect us all, but we all benefit from their use.
I seem to remember heating oil being quoted as being 4 times less than the rises in gas and electricity, but I know this varies around the country. In Devon I would previously have been paying 42p plitre in summer and maybe 65p in the winter. My quote last week-end was 79p. Oil users are suffering less than other consumers (at last!).

Yes, but in the UK we are not (yet) in the third world, and first world countries will be (expectedly) first to adopt low carbon/fossil fuel technologies.

The point was that other countries continued consumption of fossil fuels will easily overshadow our "efforts".
Taxes, like death, will affect us all, but we all benefit from their use.
I was hinting of it being used as a carrot &/or a stick to influence behaviours...
I seem to remember heating oil being quoted as being 4 times less than the rises in gas and electricity, but I know this varies around the country. In Devon I would previously have been paying 42p plitre in summer and maybe 65p in the winter. My quote last week-end was 79p. Oil users are suffering less than other consumers (at last!).
Gas up C63% heating oil up C54% in a year.
That's wholesale/commodity pricing not the cap - which doesn't apply to heating oil anyway so I think heating oil users are more exposed to market vagaries.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220920-083936_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220920-083936_Samsung Internet.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
The point was that other countries continued consumption of fossil fuels will easily overshadow our "efforts".

I was hinting of it being used as a carrot &/or a stick to influence behaviours...

Gas up C63% heating oil up C54% in a year.
That's wholesale/commodity pricing not the cap - which doesn't apply to heating oil anyway so I think heating oil users are more exposed to market vagaries.
I take your points, although European gas prices have increased 150% in the past year and most of ours now comes from Norway, but lets not argue.
The way forward is through solar and wind.

I take your points, although European gas prices have increased 150% in the past year and most of ours now comes from Norway, but lets not argue.
No use in winter without nukes & novel (i.e. out of this world) storage.

The way forward is fusion, let's hope we get there.

No use in winter without nukes & novel (i.e. out of this world) storage.

The way forward is fusion, let's hope we get there.
Fusion is still a fantasy that may not scale up from mere seconds of experimental viability, whilst renewables become more efficient and cost 10% less as each year passes, supplying 85% of UK power needs in August this year.
Back to not living long enough to see fusion :ROFLMAO:

Fusion is still a fantasy that may not scale up from mere seconds of experimental viability, whilst renewables become more efficient and cost 10% less as each year passes, supplying 85% of UK power needs in August this year.
Back to not living long enough to see fusion :ROFLMAO:
Good luck with the solar panels in the dark days of winter & the windmills when it's too windy or not windy enough 🤯

Good luck with the solar panels in the dark days of winter & the windmills when it's too windy or not windy enough 🤯
Yeah I know, but being in West Devon we get more sunshine than Yorkshire and being on the edge of Dartmoor at the head of a SW valley we get ample winds. I can count nearly a dozen wind turbines in the distance from my window.
When we moved down here from the Midlands we were surprised to see how much solar and wind generation is here compared to urban cities. Perhaps it's cultural, not just practical, but when your electricity supply comes on cables slung overhead from poles you learn to be more self reliant and have backups.

Yeah I know, but being in West Devon we get more sunshine than Yorkshire

Pah! 🤣 Enough to boil a kettle?

and being on the edge of Dartmoor at the head of a SW valley we get ample winds. I can count nearly a dozen wind turbines in the distance from my window.
Sounds cold & windy to me 🤣
When we moved down here from the Midlands we were surprised to see how much solar and wind generation is here compared to urban cities.
No-one would tolerate windmills in urban environments?
Perhaps it's cultural, not just practical, but when your electricity supply comes on cables slung overhead from poles you learn to be more self reliant and have backups.
Nothing to do with sweet irresistible feed in tariffs then? 😉

What backups have you got or planning to get for the winter? Diesel genny?

I still cannot work out what happens when the wind does not blow and the sun does not shine?

All of it or none of it, your choice mate.

Per comments from me & others there appears to be a calculation problem.
Oki
So (based on the info in the original post) of 33mpg

33mpg means 4.5litres for 33 miles - yup
190 miles (min range of SR) 44kWh - this should be 51kwh I used the original capacity zs I apologise

So 5.75 gallons is 27 litres - yup
x £1.90 (what the op said) is £51

Even at an excessive 60p per kWh (it’s now being capped at 34p)

That’s only 60 x 51 is £30.70 and therefore still £21 cheaper over the course of 190 miles

Again that’s using the shortest quoted range for an SR and triple the current cost of electricity (double of what it will be in a weeks time) and the figures the op quoted regarding efficiency and fuel costs to him

My maths was all good but thanks for asking

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom