Should I move or should I stay.

JohnR

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I've been an EV driver for the last four years, ZOE and now LEAF. I'm very tempted once my current PCP ends to move onto the MG4 (probably TROPHY). Has anyone out there made that change and if so was it a good move?

I changed from a 2018 R90 Zoe Dynamique spec to a 2023 (72 Plate) MG4 Trophy Phase 1 and the difference was night and day. I also have experience with a 2019 Leaf N-Connecta 39kWh. For starters, it was much easier to find a comfortable driving position compared to the Zoe. I also prefer the infotainment (although I mostly use CarPlay), however I do miss physical climate controls. Cabin noise is better than the Zoe and about on par with the Leaf. Boot space is better in the Nissan but the MG4 is fine for what I need. The main benefits for me are range, rapid charging speeds, drive/performance and technology (mainly adaptive cruise which I love); in the summer I found I was able to reach the WLTP range, the rapid charging far exceeds that of both other cars, and the MG4 handles like a dream and is very comfortable. My MG4 doesn’t have one pedal drive which is a shame but I know that newer versions do. I think the MG4 is a great example of how much EV’s have improved over the years and the benefits of the car sitting on a modern and bespoke EV architecture!

I started with a Zoe, then a Leaf and now a red MG4 Trophy, its streets ahead of both, just brilliant to drive. I do not regret it one bit.

I have a good friend who has a 2020 Leaf, and it seems like a lovely car and it has features the MG4 doesn't have, However I haven't driven it, and everyone says the way the MG4 drives beats the Leaf into a cocked hat.

Also, you'll get rid of the CHAdeMO problem without having to shell out hundreds of pounds for an adaptor.

Hi, I drove for about 100K Km / 4 years a Hyundai Kona EV, which was a very nice and efficient car. Today, I find that my MG4 Luxury 64kWh (trophy) has a lot of improvements from the Kona (handling, infotainment, motor skills, charging, and many more...).
I will definitely not go back or regret my purchase. Even if there are some software bugs and improvements to be made, which is true for many other more expensive EVs, if I had to do it again, I would without hesitation go for the MG4.

Mrs G had a 2019 Zoe for two years and while the car was faultless I never liked the handling of the Zoe around bends. I agree with all of mg4runner's comments above, particularly the MG4's ride / handling which is in a different league IMHO, and why it's winning a lot of awards. Well worth going for a test drive to experience it yourself - that's what clinched it for me.

What a very helpful group you are, thanks so much to everyone for taking time to respond. Totally agree with the comment re the ZOE around bends, it's one of the reasons I currently drive a LEAF. Going to my local dealer (Newton Abbot) next week for a play.

What a very helpful group you are, thanks so much to everyone for taking time to respond. Totally agree with the comment re the ZOE around bends, it's one of the reasons I currently drive a LEAF. Going to my local dealer (Newton Abbot) next week for a play.

Good for you 👍 If you do decide to take the plunge on an MG4 have a look at the MG Affinity Scheme for a big discount / negotiating tactic 😁. You may qualify already but if not just join the MG Owners Club for around £50 to be eligible.

Attachments

• Mg Affinity.jpg
    Mg Affinity.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Eligibility.jpg
    Eligibility.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 29
Good for you 👍 If you do decide to take the plunge on an MG4 have a look at the MG Affinity Scheme for a big discount / negotiating tactic 😁. You may qualify already but if not just join the MG Owners Club for around £50 to be eligible.

Yes strangely enough I had picked up on that and have checked that as retired from the NHS would qualify anyway. Thanks for pointing it out.🫰

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 528 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back