Should I take the plunge to MG EV?

Hi Everyone. I'm new to the group. I'm hoping you guys can give me a steer (pardon the pun) to whether I should change to electric just now?
I currently have a 5 year old Ford Kuga diesel 4x4 that has been fine, but before too many things start going wrong with it, I thought 'd get a new car with a nice warranty. The Kuga is currently in having its faulty alarm repaired, which will cost over £300! I have been swithering about getting the new PHEV Kuga - but it's pretty pricey, has has has battery issues and there's a long build time on them. A friend of mine, who works for Audi said to avoid PHEV cars as essentially I'm paying for two engines.

My commute is only a few miles down the road, and other than that it's daily trips to the park with the dogs and a drive to the gym - occasionally trips north to the in-laws , who live about 200 miles away. On average I drive only about 6000-7000 miles.

I'm finding it hard to justify a big spend on a new car, when I do relatively few miles. However I'm keen to go from my dirty diesel to a cleaner car - especially as they are introducing a low emission zone in Edinburgh City Centre in the next couple of years.

MG caught my eye as the cars seem more sensibly priced for that initial step to electric. I'm test driving the MG5 and MG ZS on Friday. I prefer the look of the ZS as I'm used to a higher SUV ride - but would be grateful for your thoughts. I'm also looking to test drive the Skoda Enyaq - but I think it will be too pricey. The only things currently putting me off MG at the moment are...

Why don't see many of them on the road??
Lack of heated windscreens
Range of the ZS (is there another better range model due??)
Lack of privacy glass
Whether they keep their value
No app for charging and pre-heating the car..

Many thanks,
Ian
I’m coming from a sort of similar position to yourself. Currently have a diesel Ford Grand CMax Titanium, although a 61 plate. Just had repairs which would have been £1500 except for a best mate with his own business. Getting to the stage where I’ll become ‘that’ mate who needs more favours than I can ever return.

So, taken the plunge on an MG5 EV Long Range. The £2,500 grant, 14% Affinity discount and 0% government loan made this a good option. Arriving September.

I need a roof box once or twice a year for 300 mile family holiday, have 2 small dogs so the MG5 Long Range fits all criteria. I’ll miss heated windscreen but warranty and peace of mind compensates. I’ve had Volvo 850/V70 estates before so have a preference for estate over SUV. Getting home charger quotes just now but lots of free chargers nearby too.

This seems like the right decision for me. Time will tell though.

Not loving the comments I'm seeing about condensation :(
There really isn't any more condensation than you would get in any other car.

You will only get condensation if you introduce dampness into the car.

And then don't have the setting and air flow adjusted correctly......how many ICE cars do you see driving around with an internal fog? Loads!!

Hmmmm. I hesitate to disagree with the condensation issue. I find my ZS EV is the worst car I have had for as long as I can remember for condensation. In my case it's got nothing to do with dampness in the car. My feeling is that cold air is somehow getting into the car which isn't sealed as good as it should be.

Having said that it is manageable and wouldn't put me off buying the car.

Having been spoilt with Ford heated windscreens or excellent climate control systems in other cars I have found the ZS EV needs a bit of twiddling to prevent condensation.

After discovering that running the air con/fan all the time does not really affect range I now have found a setting that solves the problem for me. BTW I always ran aircon/climate control all year in my previous cars.

I love the car and can put up with the odd foible or two. You can pay 10 -15k more for other marques and still have all kinds of nasty problems occur.

Hmmmm. I hesitate to disagree with the condensation issue. I find my ZS EV is the worst car I have had for as long as I can remember for condensation. In my case it's got nothing to do with dampness in the car. My feeling is that cold air is somehow getting into the car which isn't sealed as good as it should be.

Having said that it is manageable and wouldn't put me off buying the car.
Mine misted up easily at first, but a couple of dehumidifier bags regularly recharged in the microwave seems to have soaked up all the residual moisture that was in the car and it hardly mists up at all now on those cooler damp days. I've left the bags in during Summer to help keep them dry.

I also miss having the climate control system of previous cars and in the early days of ownership of my ZS EV I did experience condensation, particularly of side windows. After much fiddling about with the air flow and aircon controls I managed to solve the problem and it's been OK since.
I found that using the controls can be confusing because of a slow reaction........from the car and me!

Mine misted up easily at first, but a couple of dehumidifier bags regularly recharged in the microwave seems to have soaked up all the residual moisture that was in the car and it hardly mists up at all now on those cooler damp days. I've left the bags in during Summer to help keep them dry.
Yes, use two of these front and back too.

There is no aircon in the ZS on warm heater setting. The cold air button lights up but does nothing. This could be part of the misting up problem. My own experience is that I haven’t had an issue with misting up, however, I haven’t had, dogs and lots of passengers in the car. I think it demists ok. on cars with aircon for the warm setting the air gets dried and this helps considerably with demisting - the ZS doesn’t have this luxury. Not a reason to rule out buying the car though in my opinion.

Last edited:
I have never needed to use demist, I often leave a the hatch open or a window open.

Not loving the comments I'm seeing about condensation :(
Lots of cars can have condensation during the winter months and us nothing to worry about. My previous car a 2016 Jaguar F Pace had some condensation during the winter. Is was more prevalent the day following using the aircon, modern cars are so well made and sealed that a lot of stale air stays in the vehicle. There are proprietary items you can buy online to help with this and u have one in each of my cars during the winter. You can also make your own get an empty ice cream tub remove the lid and drill a reasonable amount of holes in the lid, 3/4 fill the tub with very cheap table salt and fit the lid. Place the container in one of the least used footwells and you will get the same result as if the shelf dehumidifier pouches but cheaper. Once the salt is saturated discard and replace.

I've never noticed any issue with condensation. In wet, humid conditions if you get in the car wet, it will mist up, just like any car I've ever had. The Aircon set to the windscreen deals with it in short order. :)

There is no aircon in the ZS on warm heater setting. The cold air button lights up but does nothing. This could be part of the misting up problem. My own experience is that I haven’t had an issue with misting up, however, I haven’t had, dogs and lots of passengers in the car. I think it demists ok. on cars with aircon for the warm setting the air gets dried and this helps considerably with demisting - the ZS doesn’t have this luxury. Not a reason to rule out buying the car though in my opinion.
The air con does work on hot settings, it's how it clears the windows so much quicker in winter compared to just using the heat.

I stand to be corrected, but my experience is the aircon button shows no noticeable drain on the battery and doesn’t engage the aircon unit when on the heat setting.
On cold you can see the drain and hear the motor working when you switch on aircon. I also notice no real difference in how the car heat demists. Perhaps my car is not working correctly. Do others see and hear the aircon unit working when on the heat setting?

I think its fair to say that the heating and ventalation system does leave leave room for a lot of improvement......but it can be set up to function OK......pity its not fully automatic though.

I wonder if the new model is?

I had my 2009 Astra TwinTop regassed today, didn't even know if the aircon worked when I bought it a couple of weeks ago.
Luckily it just needed the regas and was exceptionally cold afterwards - so much so that when I got back into the MG today and used the air con, it almost felt like it wasn't working. The MG's aircon doesn't get that cold in comparison to every other car I've had.
Considering this is a Chinese car you'd think it would have aircon to cope with their weather.
The lack of climate control really bugs me too, don't even get me started on the stupid on-screen climate animations that change several seconds after you adjust it meaning you have to keep glancing away from the road!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom