Should I take the plunge to MG EV?

I stand to be corrected, but my experience is the aircon button shows no noticeable drain on the battery and doesn’t engage the aircon unit when on the heat setting.
On cold you can see the drain and hear the motor working when you switch on aircon. I also notice no real difference in how the car heat demists. Perhaps my car is not working correctly. Do others see and hear the aircon unit working when on the heat setting?
The aircon dehumidifies the warm air in winter which stops your windows misting. In fact using it in winter is much more beneficial than using it to cool the car in the summer.

The aircon dehumidifies the warm air in winter which stops your windows misting. In fact using it in winter is much more beneficial than using it to cool the car in the summer.
I agree that’s why I keep it on in some form all year. I love driving in a fridge.

Well I took a test drive in the MG ZS this afternoon and was pleasantly surprised and tempted. The only thing was my back was a little uncomfortable as the seats seem very firm - and possibly I hadn't got them adjusted correctly for my driving position?? I then learnt of the facelift coming soon with a better range, so will sit tight for now and see what's on offer.

My wife and I prefer to drive the MGZSEV Exclusive over our Mercedes 220. All the points made above are valid. Fun and fast to drive. Economical in cost per mile, no road tax, inexpensive servicing. Hardly any wear on brakes if you think ahead and let KERS slow the car. Condensation does occur but is easily cleared using fan and aircon. Ours has a squeaky sun roof which the dealer has promised to fix. (we just haven't got round to booking it in).
Had it for 18 months, 6000 miles. Longest journeys without re-charging in excess of 140 miles with some left to spare. Can be a bit skittish and unstable if you "floor" it in sports mode, (but sometimes worth it just to see the face of the youngster in the BMW M3 behind you as you leave the junction or traffic lights!

Not loving the comments I'm seeing about condensation :(
I find most cars have condensation issues but you learn how to deal with it in the car that you are using at the time and then you forget that it used to be an issue. Once you learn how to use the controls (which according to my 9 year old grandaughter ar "laggy") you will find that it only takes a few seconds to clear the screen and then leave the a/c in re-circ at low speed and it stays clear.

Had my ZS EV (TEAM RED) since March, only a couple of thousand miles so far but a superb experience so far. Zero issues, lovely drive, I am currently getting 170+ miles per charge, so very cheap to run at around 3-4p mile. I still love my big Mercedes GL for towing and as good as that is I don't feel like I am stepping down that much getting in the MG, for the price build quality is excellent. No more issues with condensation in the MG than in any other car i have owned. Don't forget that SAIC who make and own MG are partnered with and manufacture for Audi/VW, GM, Volvo to name a few! They make millions pf cars every year. Go for it and enjoy!!

Hi Everyone. I'm new to the group. I'm hoping you guys can give me a steer (pardon the pun) to whether I should change to electric just now?
I currently have a 5 year old Ford Kuga diesel 4x4 that has been fine, but before too many things start going wrong with it, I thought 'd get a new car with a nice warranty. The Kuga is currently in having its faulty alarm repaired, which will cost over £300! I have been swithering about getting the new PHEV Kuga - but it's pretty pricey, has has has battery issues and there's a long build time on them. A friend of mine, who works for Audi said to avoid PHEV cars as essentially I'm paying for two engines.

My commute is only a few miles down the road, and other than that it's daily trips to the park with the dogs and a drive to the gym - occasionally trips north to the in-laws , who live about 200 miles away. On average I drive only about 6000-7000 miles.

I'm finding it hard to justify a big spend on a new car, when I do relatively few miles. However I'm keen to go from my dirty diesel to a cleaner car - especially as they are introducing a low emission zone in Edinburgh City Centre in the next couple of years.

MG caught my eye as the cars seem more sensibly priced for that initial step to electric. I'm test driving the MG5 and MG ZS on Friday. I prefer the look of the ZS as I'm used to a higher SUV ride - but would be grateful for your thoughts. I'm also looking to test drive the Skoda Enyaq - but I think it will be too pricey. The only things currently putting me off MG at the moment are...

Why don't see many of them on the road??
Lack of heated windscreens
Range of the ZS (is there another better range model due??)
Lack of privacy glass
Whether they keep their value
No app for charging and pre-heating the car..

Many thanks,
Ian
If was in your shoes I wouldn't hesitate to buy an MG5 eV. I got mine last February on-line for £22k 7 year warrantee. I can do 200miles on a full charge even in winter providing I drive carefully. In Summer quite a bit further. I am surprised to find many small hotels and B&B's let you use a 13a socket free of charge. Fuel is only 20% of the cost of an ICE and servicing less than half that of ICE. The real joy is the driving experience, silence, smooth acceleration without any gear changes, hardly ever need to use the breaks it must take years to get through break pads. MG reccomend servicing every other year. I would never want to go back to ICE.

Well I have a ZS and have had it 15 months. Love it. No condensation issues that aren’t sorted by turning the demist on. I live in Hants, maybe warmer than Edinburgh but we live 220 meters above sea level in the cold mist in winter, and on the A31, which gets closed for a few hours when it snows whilst the farmers fit snow ploughs to their huge tractors!
The short journeys you describe are practical in the ZS, the range is plenty good enough for urban journeys. I am retired so I do both short journeys and day trips of over 250 miles in the day. I think that longer journeys fall into one of 2 camps. The rapid dash, which is your trip north, or sight seeing. With a rapid dash you want to charge quickly and get on. Plan a stop when the battery is down to 20% with a toilet and coffee. Probably at 120-140 miles in Scotland. The A9 is pretty well served with strategically placed chargers. And if there is a local free 7 kW charger near the in-laws that would be a bonus. With a sightseeing trip you try to charge at every stop and your journey isn’t longer in time.
Running costs are insignificant. In 5500 miles electricity £80 on Octopus Go, plus £20 at rapid chargers. Servicing, £9 a month for 3 years. Tax zero, insurance £200 with LV.
I tested a Kona and MG ZS back to back at the same dealership and found the Kona suspension noisy at the rear. Not worth the extra £14k difference at the time. The MG is comfortable, not quite as well finished as my Passat Estate inside, but plenty good enough. I love the roof and the quiet on the move. When an EV sceptical friend discovered that he had been chatting on the phone for 20 minutes whilst we had been driving at 65 along the A3 the tone in his voice gave away his astonishment. He drives a Volvo XC60 (?) which is noisy by comparison.
The overall running costs of an EV are silly, my Volvo friend scornfully pointed out how expensive new EVs are and I would suffer big depreciation. Well his Volvo was £28k second hand, does 35 to the gallon of diesel and costs 100s to service.
Just get some test drives and see how easy and relaxing the MG is to drive. We MG owners are in the main very happy with our cars, great vfm. If you go to other owners web sites you will find issues with most makes, VWs that brick, battery recalls on Hyundais, also charging issues with 11kw versions, Mitsubishi Phevs with software issues etc.

Edit noted you have had a test drive. I was able to borrow the car for a couple of hours and spent the time fiddling with the controls and seats rather than just driving. Pity if you didn’t get that opportunity. Also public sector workers and pensioners can benefit fro the MG affinity scheme for discounts of about 10%.

Last edited:
Not loving the comments I'm seeing about condensation :(
Condensation is not realy an issue, it clears almost immediatly, the problems are with the dealerships, my ZS broke down whilst on holiday to York, plugged into a Geniepoint and it fried everything, that was on the Tuesday, RAC taking car back to my local dealer (280 miles) we got home the following Friday, the car arrived back at our dealers the following Monday (with a dent in the back O/S door, which no ones seems to know how it got there). The dealers mechanics who fix EVs are either at another branch or away training, looks like I'll be driving the hire car for some time (its already set me back over £100 in petrol), trouble is, when I get it back, it will take a long time for me to rely on it again. Shame its a nice car.

Our MG5 is the first new car we have purchased that has not had to be sent back for repair, as all the equipment works fine with no issues.

ours is very well built after & after a number of Jaguar 4.0 & 4,2, XJ,s over the years the MG fit and finish is good.

We also have a I pace which is nice lots of toys but for sound town the MG comes out on top.

For comfort & ease of use plus very easy to Park due to size,
many people turn they nose up at it being Chinese.

But it was not that long ago the same people also did the same with Korean cars
and we can all see have successful they have been.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom