Simple adaptive cruise control operation

ukflyer

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
After a few weeks of trial and error, I have found the easiest and most effective way of using the adaptive cruise control is this:

If you want to not have the car steer, but set a speed and follow the car ahead, use the adaptive cruise setting.

If you want the car to steer and set the speed to follow the car ahead, use the traffic jam assist setting.

In both cases keep the lane keep assist off!

Keep in mind the steering works best on dry roads in daylight with defined lines on each side. Wet, dark excessively curvy roads and those with patch lines can confuse it. Always keep a hand on the wheel and be ready to guide the car or take control. In fact it only goes a few seconds if you are not holding the wheel before getting angry at you!

Hope this helps and if anyone has worked out a better method, please let us know.

After a few weeks of trial and error, I have found the easiest and most effective way of using the adaptive cruise control is this:

If you want to not have the car steer, but set a speed and follow the car ahead, use the adaptive cruise setting.

If you want the car to steer and set the speed to follow the car ahead, use the traffic jam assist setting.

Keep in mind the steering works best on dry roads in daylight with defined lines on each side. Wet, dark excessively curvy roads and those with patch lines can confuse it. Always keep a hand on the wheel and be ready to guide the car or take control. In fact it only goes a few seconds if you are not holding the wheel before getting angry at you!

Hope this helps and if anyone has worked out a better method, please let us know.
And in either setting can you confirm that the car retains the selected settings upon restart please.

I've not used the traffic jam setting yet but did wonder what the difference was to ACC. How useful do you think the steering option is? I used lane keep assist for my very first drive and it's been switched off ever since.

Ok for the initial batch of cars, on the second batch of cars just delivered on the R30 Software, there is NO LKA OFF switch in the system anymore. so you cannot disable it even on a temp basis.

Sorry may be getting confused here

I was talking about LKA on Normal roads in manual driving above 37 miles an hour,

Not on Cruise Control

I have mine set to TJA as well, but when manual driving not on Cruise Control the LKA kicks in above 37mph and I cant find a way to disable it, lot of narrow country lanes round here and its dangerous as its tugging you side to side on these roads.

I have tried to use the TJA (traffic jam assist) setting and 95% of the time its great especially on motorways however the 5% is very dangerous so I refuse to use it

Sorry may be getting confused here

I was talking about LKA on Normal roads in manual driving above 37 miles an hour,

Not on Cruise Control

I have mine set to TJA as well, but when manual driving not on Cruise Control the LKA kicks in above 37mph and I cant find a way to disable it, lot of narrow country lanes round here and its dangerous as its tugging you side to side on these roads.

what happens if you change the TJA setting to ACC instead?

that only affects it when on cruise on a normal road it still puts lka on
So you don't have this option?
PXL_20221114_095833345.jpg

I have noticed it doesn't appear before the car is ready to drive (system ready has been displayed once you're in the car and pressed the brakes)

So you don't have this option?
View attachment 12733
I have noticed it doesn't appear before the car is ready to drive (system ready has been displayed once you're in the car and pressed the brakes)

Thank you thats where I was going wrong, Trying to do it without car ready to drive

All sorted now, will see if it sticks or needs doing every drive.

any way to make 'speed limit mode' stay selected, instead of cruise control and save the settings?
it's driving me crazy.

Bump. Any answers to HQWs question?
A few newbies also interested in knowing how to tweak settings to get best out of car.

Not many of the personalisation settings are saved - whether that will change is anyone's guess. (It was one of the things mentioned on the podcast last night).

I want to use cruise control but not have the car to take control of steering. That’s scary.
sounds like I need to disable traffic jam assist and lane keep assist. Is that correct? If so can you tell me where I switch them off.

I want to use cruise control but not have the car to take control of steering. That’s scary.
sounds like I need to disable traffic jam assist and lane keep assist. Is that correct? If so can you tell me where I switch them off.
Yes. From memory you have to press the car icon as you would to change driving mode and then press the MG Pilot tab and then you can change the setting from TJA to ACC.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back