Slight burning smell with heater use

sjs73

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
My MG5 is a couple of months old now and only very recently have I needed to use the heater. When it comes on there seems to be a smell which is rather like a faint burning smell. I assume this may be because it is a relatively new heater but wanted check if anyone else has noticed anything similar. I’ll see if it continues after more use. Thanks all.

I have a similar experience when I turn the heater on to demist in the morning. The car is only a couple of weeks old, but I assume it is just heated lubricant on plastic parts being blown through.

I'd say this was pretty normal.
You'd get the same effect switching on an infrequently used fan heater in the home.

Mine did it when new, it's the same as when use a new toaster or electric fire for the first time, it soon wears off after a few, full heat, demist/defrosts.

@Neil Very true. They are very effective heated seats. I just hope the switch never gets stuck in the on position 😉
Funnily, I found the heated seats overbearing at first, but either I got used to them, or they don't seem as hot now.

My MG5 is a couple of months old now and only very recently have I needed to use the heater. When it comes on there seems to be a smell which is rather like a faint burning smell. I assume this may be because it is a relatively new heater but wanted check if anyone else has noticed anything similar. I’ll see if it continues after more use. Thanks all.
Hi SJS, Did your issue above get resolved or go away?
We have been getting this occasionally too, already three months into ownership so I don't think it can be new heaters as suggested above.
I am in the middle of contacting our dealer to enquire about it but interested to see what happened your side.

It's perfectly normal for this type of heater. It's dust burning off the electric element. No different to a domestic fan heater.

Why did this thread show for me as updated today I wonder?

Anyway, seeing as how it has... I'm not in the least bothered by it but my car is now over a year old and is still doing this. The heater doesn't have to be on high and the smell doesn't occur every time - often not till the second time I take it out in a day, and it goes after about a minute. I meant to mention it at the service but forgot. maybe later this year...

We took delivery of ours in sept and the past few weeks I've noticed this sporadically too. Doesn't seem to be based on temp or heater setting either which is concerning.

My MG5 is 6 months old, and I still get the smell now and then, even when the heater doesn't seem to be on.....

Just purchased a 71 plate mg5 and I'm getting the burning smell BUT. As someone said above, it goes after a while.

Still getting it in mine after 15 months. The dealer said if it kept happening (after 1st service) to take it back but tbh I can't be bothered

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom