Smart electricity tariffs with dumb EV charger

AussiePete

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
It's approaching electricity renewal time so I'm now looking at EV friendly tariffs like Octopus Go (currently on a fixed rate tariff around 14p/kWh). My problem is I have a dumb charger (6 year old 7kw tethered Rolec Wallpod). From my reading to-date I don't believe I'll get the benefits of timed charging on the likes of Octopus Go without upgrading my charger.

Or is there something else I can do to have timed charging on my dumb charger that will also work on my ZS?

I have two suggestions.
1 a cheap alarm clock set to 00.30😅.
2 convert the tethered in to an untethered and go the OHME box half price via Octopus.

t's approaching electricity renewal time so I'm now looking at EV friendly tariffs like Octopus Go (currently on a fixed rate tariff around 14p/kWh). My problem is I have a dumb charger (6 year old 7kw tethered Rolec Wallpod). From my reading to-date I don't believe I'll get the benefits of timed charging on the likes of Octopus Go without upgrading my charger.
Not so, I have a dumb 32 Amp 7 kw Rolec wall box and it is over five years old now.
On my previous VW PHEV - The delayed charge could be set from the head unit inside of the car.
We have been a few different "Off - Peaks" tariff's over the years from different networks.
Originally, we had a dual rate meter installed by British Gas.
When ordered our ZS EV in July 2019 and collected it in Jan 2020.
While waiting for our car, we discovered that the lack of use of delaying charging, was likely to be a huge issue to ourselves and other owners !.
Then we found that the answer was to installing a Wi-Fi relay inside of the wall box.
This relay could be controlled by a free App from your phone.
Other owners have also found different ways of navigating around this problem.
In the simplest form, a mechanical timer control can be installed along side of your RCBO breaker in your dumb Rolec.
Or using the Wi-Fi relay gives you more control from your phone.
Others have installed a timer unit inside of your consumer unit, this type of unit will be switching the load supply, which tends to make the units a fair bit more expensive.
I am personally using a "SonOff" Wi-Fi relay, but a popular relay is a "Shelly" device.
These will both give you the control you require.
Installing is pretty straight forward as long as you feel confident to take on the work and you adopt a safe isolation process before commencing the work.
If you are in ANYWAY unsure, get a friendly spark to do it for you.
Time to install - about 20 minutes !.

It's approaching electricity renewal time so I'm now looking at EV friendly tariffs like Octopus Go (currently on a fixed rate tariff around 14p/kWh). My problem is I have a dumb charger (6 year old 7kw tethered Rolec Wallpod). From my reading to-date I don't believe I'll get the benefits of timed charging on the likes of Octopus Go without upgrading my charger.

Or is there something else I can do to have timed charging on my dumb charger that will also work on my ZS?
As others have said. You just need a way of switching your charger on/off at the appropriate times to match whatever your tariff times are.
There are reasonably simple ways to add timers etc/controlled from app etc.
I like the wi-fi relay method, if you're up for a bit of tinkering.
Another option is to replace your fuse (assuming it's on a dedicated circuit) with a fuse that has a timer incorporated into it.

Definitely no need to spend out having a new smart charger fitted.

Maybe contact rolec to ask if it can be upgrade, as Rolec use standard off the shelf components eg: screwfix parts easy to repair if required.
Possible option, but it is likely to be expensive and give you a similar result.
A Wi-Fi relay is around £20 when I last checked.
I now have smart meters installed by my latest provider, just check on their cheaper off - peak tariff times and then charge the car accordingly.

Octopus Go in my region is 15.8p/kWh

On the MG ZS EV FB group I’ve been pointed at this. After a bit of searching found a number of people who’ve done it so looks like just the ticket to convert my dumb Rolec to a smart Rolec for about a tenner 🤓😳😳🤓

I have a Zappi but no Hub could I fit this as a cheaper option?

Yes I have it all setup for off peak charging but wanted to use on an app.
I also have an OHME and is my preferred charger as I set up charge percentages and just add what I need to get it back to 80-90%.
Just realized the other reason I wanted the Hub was to update the Zappi unit. Oh well back to the drawing board 🙄

On the MG ZS EV FB group I’ve been pointed at this. After a bit of searching found a number of people who’ve done it so looks like just the ticket to convert my dumb Rolec to a smart Rolec for about a tenner 🤓😳😳🤓

This unit is 16a and ok for the Granny charger, but not a 7kw charger.

In the video the guy connects the L and N feed to the L and N on the controller box and then finds the CP and feeds that via the relay of the Shelly as far as I can tell that's why he says if you feed it with the wrong thin wire is doesn't matter as it's low voltage.
I will check out the SonOff

Possible option, but it is likely to be expensive and give you a similar result.
A Wi-Fi relay is around £20 when I last checked.
I now have smart meters installed by my latest provider, just check on their cheaper off - peak tariff times and then charge the car accordingly.
Yes the upgrade route is expensive. I’ve ordered a Shelly 1 unit (£10 for a WiFi switch is an absolute bargain) and will consider DIY or even splurge and get a spark to install

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom