Smart Key Not Detected Car Not Starting

ajitsingh334

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Help Please!!

My MG ZS EV 2021 Exclusive - is in a Bodyshop for some minor repairs. It was driving and starting all ok.

However, after the front driver door loom was unplugged. The car wouldn’t start. There are 2 messages on the dash ‘Smart Key Not Detected’ & ‘Put Key In Backup Position’.

I have put the key in the front cup holders as per manual instructions. Still same error.

All The doors lock and unlock after the door loom has been plugged back in. Still no luck.

I only have 1 key for the car.

Any advice/help to get the car back on would be much appreciated. The car has the handbrake on and not in neutral so a pain for the garage as it cannot be moved.

Thanks in advance
Ajit

Attachments

• 5A1651CF-8E46-4DF3-AC3D-3AD13D45335B.jpeg
    5A1651CF-8E46-4DF3-AC3D-3AD13D45335B.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 362
  • 77DA081A-5471-47FF-8681-194FDBD81566.jpeg
    77DA081A-5471-47FF-8681-194FDBD81566.jpeg
    401.1 KB · Views: 236
I have got to ask why did you only get one key?
Try disconnecting the 12v battery for 30 minutes.

Does the key lock and unlock the doors ok ?

Is the car currently near a mobile tower? I find that my Mk1 ZS EV is affected by strong mobile tower signals. I have to be careful where I park in a shopping centre that has two mobile towers. Sometimes it can just barely lock the car, then when I return, I sometimes have trouble unlocking. I find that positioning the fob just right (near the gear selector) can avoid key not detected errors. Once ~30 metres away from the towers, I have no problems with the fob.

I have found no definitive solution to the mobile tower problem. However, I'm basically only affected in one location, and I've gotten used to always parking in an area of that carpark where I know it's far enough away from the mobile phone towers that I have no problem. I don't even think about it any more, it's just habit. Fortunately that safe parking area nearly always has a spare space, and it's convenient to the shops I use.

It's possible that metalwork supporting shade cloth that was installed a year or two ago has helped shield that area and most car parking spots.

When I can't park in the known safe area, shifting my leg so that the fob in my pocket is closer to the door handle always seems to work. Again, it's an automatic habit now, so I barely think about that either.

Edit: Are drivers having the key not detected problem or the mobile tower too close problem? Is it possible that they are the same problem? My apologies for ranting if the main problem is unrelated to mobile towers.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom