Snow tyres reduce km by alot?

denmyos

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi :)
I got snow tyres on last week and notice that my screen now says 300km at 100% charge.
The day before I got snow tyres on it was 390+ at 100% charge.
I understand that snow tyres will reduce km by a little bit, I would expect 10-15km, but all most 100km thats alot.!

Any thoughts ?
:)

Last edited:
When you say snow tyres, do you mean full snow tyres or all-season?
I’ve fitted all-season to several EVs and not noticed any range reduction.

I got snow tyres on last week and notice that my screen now says 300km at 100% charge.
I understand that snow tyres will reduce km by a little bit, I would expect 10-15km, but all most 100km thats alot.!

Any thoughts ?
Same affect on ICE vehicles

Fitting snow tyres will NOT immediately change the range shown by the GOM ... the car has no idea what tyres have been fitted. It is ambient conditions (temperature/rain etc.), driving mode (Normal/Eco etc.) and driving style that impact range shown by the GOM.

I had full winters on all my BMWs ( Pirelli sottozero ) prior to all-season tyres becoming available. and there was no way there was 30% affect on range.
Depending on the make if you look on Google there can be a 7-35% increase in fuel usage on an ICE vehicle depending on the brand and range of winter tyres, due to a specific temperature range that they operate optimally inside of which is rarely met for alot of tyres in the UK.

On an EV it is expected to cause a 9-30% reduction in efficiency, depending again on make and range of tyres used

Same affect on ICE vehicles

Depending on the make if you look on Google there can be a 7-35% increase in fuel usage on an ICE vehicle depending on the brand and range of winter tyres, due to a specific temperature range that they operate optimally inside of which is rarely met for alot of tyres in the UK.

On an EV it is expected to cause a 9-30% reduction in efficiency, depending again on make and range of tyres used

30-35% reduction in range?!?!?
What the hell kind of winter tyres are they, studded things off a monster truck?!?
That would take a 500 mile diesel down to 350 miles, that’s outrageous. o_O

30-35% reduction in range?!?!?
What the hell kind of winter tyres are they, studded things off a monster truck?!?
That would take a 500 mile diesel down to 350 miles, that’s outrageous. o_O
They could be studded tyres with a softer compound as the OP is in Denmark but yes 30% reduction does seem excessive.

They could be studded tyres with a softer compound as the OP is in Denmark but yes 30% reduction does seem excessive.
It's to do with the temperature bands they operate in it would appear some snow tyres are 3C to - 5C and the efficiency is atrocious outside of this band but inside it they operate not massively different to standard tyres.

Last edited:
Don't forget EVs are much more sensitive to efficiency than ICE vehicles (which basically waste most of their energy), so snow tyres will disproportionately reduce range on an EV.

This is the exact same reason why towing can halve the range of an EV but have a much smaller effect on an ICE vehicle. This is why so many F150 Lightnings have been returned.

These factors are not well publicised but they should be.

Any thoughts ?
In general yes, that’s the point of snow tyres: to provide more friction (aka “grip”) with the road, in snow and slushy conditions. For your safety.

But how much added friction - and reduced range therefore, depends on the exact tyres you have, as there is no standard level of grip of a snow tyre.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back